跤好撂,手难学 - easy to learn throws, hard to learn grip fight

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: 跤好撂,手难学 - easy to learn throws, hard to learn grip fight

Postby CaliG on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 am

More cool equipment from Ivanov.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by CaliG on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby everything on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:52 am

that looks very good. can you recommend how to make a decent homemade version for little expense?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:19 am

The SC version is a bag of sand.

CaliG

Postby everything on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:58 pm

thanks man. I remember seeing that vid posted a while back. I'll see what I can whip up. If I'm using a bag of sand, I'll have to wait til summer to try this (spring pollen is kicking my ass). Gonna take a bag and fill it with who-knows-what and give these a try this weekend.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun May 03, 2009 7:32 pm

CaliG wrote:I agree about the judoforum, when you take everything from a sport
perspective then your mind will be closed to other considerations and
your only concern is how you win with a ref either by points or
impressing the judges and grappling against someone who has roughly
the same weight as you, which is obviously very different from what
you'll encounter on the streets which is complete and total chaos.

The more that I read those threads in that Judo forum, the more that I feel how difficult it is to evolve from sport SC to combat SC (CC). It takes more than 25 years effort to complete those evolution. I also find out that it's very difficult to exchange idea with those who care only about "sport" and can't care less about "combat".
Last edited by johnwang on Sun May 03, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Sun May 03, 2009 9:53 pm

I think John Is right-on here.
Throws; perfectly executed. are almost effortless. but it is the set up, the entry, the opening that is the real work. Throws are not always pretty and by the book are they?
Vying for grips is not a "grip strength" issue (which, if you are training correctly should not be an issue anyway-your grip should outmatch a fisherman / farmer etc (grew up with a farmer and contractor- you would need to feel a masonry contractor who spent his life tossing up 8 and 12" concrete block) 'Playing grips" is a tactical game. In sport, its one thing. in a combative form, something all together different. And in external guys it is one thing, in internal guys something all together different and better.
I think you would need to play with a grappler who has the ability to "shut down" your ability to enter and create his own openings to understand it. An adjunct to this is that in MMA you are not just setting up throws, you are setting up knees, elbows, strikes, and...throws. Add sticks and knives and its another level again.
Dan
Last edited by Bodywork on Sun May 03, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby nianfong on Mon May 04, 2009 12:23 am

it's a bag of iron sand or I actually have bullets (no shells) in a long bag. the bag is made from the same stuff our SC jackets are made of. lemme know if you want one, and I can talk to my teacher about sending you one. I believe they're like $20 a pop, + S&H. no tax I believe since you're in WA.
Last edited by nianfong on Mon May 04, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby CaliG on Mon May 04, 2009 3:52 pm

nianfong wrote:it's a bag of iron sand or I actually have bullets (no shells) in a long bag. the bag is made from the same stuff our SC jackets are made of. lemme know if you want one, and I can talk to my teacher about sending you one. I believe they're like $20 a pop, + S&H. no tax I believe since you're in WA.

Send it Fedex Ground, it should only be about a $1 a pound for that size.

Fong,

How is using the bag different from Kettlebell swings and Medicine ball slams?

G

Here's some more gut wrenching Bulgarian bag work.

Last edited by CaliG on Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby nianfong on Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm

the long bag has a shock element to it that the KB swings and such don't have. the weight has time to accelerate to a higher speed and then you have to decelerate it with your body in a much shorter time frame. It works your grip like nothing else, really. I need to reduce the amount of bullets in my bag because my grip simply can't handle the weight right now.

the long bags my teacher sells are empty. you have to fill it with whatever you have. you can buy BBs or shot, sand, or whatever. steel nuts work too.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby fuga on Mon May 04, 2009 7:53 pm

The long bag that Fong brought to the Gooseshit Gathering was fun to play with. It's more explosive at the end of its trajectory than a kettlebell (you get it moving faster) and the grip can be more difficult. It also allows you to play better angles closer to throws than with a kettlebell.

When you are first playing with it, don't stand next to a window and make sure you don't have a friend standing next to you.

Fong, I want to get one. Can you ask your teacher for me? Thanks.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Mon May 04, 2009 11:17 pm

sure thing, I'll ask him. yeah I need to reduce the weight on mine...haha. and also try out those cool drills the beijing SC guys do.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Ian on Mon May 04, 2009 11:23 pm

nianfong wrote:it's a bag of iron sand or I actually have bullets (no shells) in a long bag.

haha that sounds completely unecessarily hardcore.
Ian

Postby nianfong on Mon May 04, 2009 11:37 pm

:D not at all. the bullets don't "bounce" off each other--they just go "thud" in inelastic collisions. iron sand also doesn't bounce. makes the impact at the end that much more cohesive and hard to grip.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby CaliG on Tue May 05, 2009 12:11 am

Thanks Fong, I'd be interested in getting one too.
CaliG

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan