Blauer's SPEAR system and XY/BGZ entries

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Blauer's SPEAR system and XY/BGZ entries

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Trainingdummy

If you want to achieve the strategy of rise, drill, overturn and fall in sparring, don't expect a 'textbook' display of this sequence.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Daniel on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:41 am

...yeah, I´d echo John and Felipé here. I don´t know if that full move from Piquan is even possible as a flinch-response...I think not...not as Blauer explained it, anyway.

I´m sure you can practice versions of Pi as a flinch, but not the full "normal" move". Metal forearms and sides of the hand, perhaps, then going in from there.

I actually tried some work with this last week, after this thread. None of the natural flinches that turned up in my training included the full move of Pi, just parts of it, and then going in.

But you have a good teacher, so do what the blessing is with good teachers - ask him. :)

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:51 am

TrainingDummy wrote:I've been thinking a lot about this. I guess what I'm trying to achieve is the strategy of rise, drill, overturn, fall in sparring.

Is rise - drill - overturn - fall really a strategy?
Ian

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:36 am

TrainingDummy wrote:Hi all, this is my first post, please don't flame the newby.

My current issue is that I tend to over commit the lunge which leaves me open to takedowns and/or my partner simply stepping around the entry. I've recently replaced it with a western boxing jab with much better results, but I can't help but feel that I'm missing something.

From you opening post it is obvious you are trying to create your entry topheavy "overcommit the lunge", work on the footwork leading the hands and you will find it easier to control your body weight before someone else can.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Walk the Torque on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:21 pm

TrainingDummy wrote:
I've been thinking a lot about this. I guess what I'm trying to achieve is the strategy of rise, drill, overturn, fall in sparring.

There is so much that we can do with this sequence that it is tricky to offer specific advice unless there is a specific task at hand. Seeing as you've mentioned the bridge and entry scenario, I will offer what I can in the way of assistance.

TrainingDummy wrote:However against an attack that isn't committed or against someone who doesn't have excessive muscular tension I feel that I've actually overcommited my defense. Against you in particular, you use my tsuan/ spear palm as a bridge to -my- center. I feel like I'm playing a defensive game, and playing a defensive game is not a high percentage winner for me against skilled partners.

As I see it, this "first contact" is a crucial moment that is defined largely by who is more present at the time and can "soften up" enough to feel where the other guy is. There is also the issue of learning to hide your center. With repeated practice this becomes second nature which makes it difficult for others to gain control.

Having said this then, it appears it is understandable that you would feel that your playing a defensive game; because 1) you are not receiving the feedback you need to take control, and therefore are rendered "searching" for a point of reference from which to act, and 2) the very act of hiding the center is inextricably linked with "finding whole body connection" along with the change of angle, and counter attacking from a position of strength. So, the micro-second that you have lost the point of reference (due to the other guys rotation and softening) is the exact moment of the counter.

The reason your jabbing works better is because it is more natural for you, at this time, to use it. When you attack with your jab the feel is very different from the rise drill overturn fall (RDOF), because I don't think you have really assimilated it into your game yet and are representing it to yourself in a more broken down fashion than say your jab. So one reason I am able to find a connection into your body when you try RDOF, is due to the fact that you are still "doing the movement" of RDOF, instead of dishing out the jin, when we make contact. This results in a sort of stutter in the movement that allows your physical body to be accessed, as opposed to the jin over powering the other guy.

TrainingDummy wrote:Since this strategy is not working for me against superior opponents I've been replacing it with a western boxing jab or cross as an offensive defense. At least when I'm using a fully extended strike (compared to the bent elbow used in rise,drill) there is a genuine attack and the opponent must do something about it or get hit. I'm no longer playing defensive and can force my opponent to move.

It is also possible to do the rise drill with a more extended arm posture; it is just a little more difficult to express force within a smaller space.

S,funny you should mention the jab though; because I have been thinking about how similar it is, or at least how the mechanics of coiling and uncoiling can be used in jabbing type attacks. The old Queensbury rules style of boxing had more of a pronounced coiling in the defensive posture; and so when the jab is thrown, so is the spiraling jin. I have a feeling that if you work with the (whole body) coiling and uncoiling with your jabs, and then transpose what you have learnt to your palm techniques, you will most likely have a quantum leap in ability to apply your RDOF or more spearing type techniques.

Another thing that is worth a mention, is that the uncoiling and expanding of the body is the very thing that gives speed and continuity to the motion. So when placing yourself to attack, it really helps to work on the timing of storing and releasing your jin in accordance with your technique. This means you have to concentrate on both your mechanics, and your position relative to your opponent. Tricky at first ;D. Once this is ingrained though, it will make your RDOF and spearing attacks much easier.

Hope this helps and you hit the city again soon :)
Last edited by Walk the Torque on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan