Blauer's SPEAR system and XY/BGZ entries

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Blauer's SPEAR system and XY/BGZ entries

Postby TrainingDummy on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi all, this is my first post, please don't flame the newby.

I've noticed a superficial resemblance between the spearing palm entries of of BGZ, xingyi's pichuan, and Tony Blauer's SPEAR RBCT system.

I'm keen to explore drills that embed this strategy faster than what I'm currently doing, which is static 2 man drills that progress into free sparring.

My current issue is that I tend to over commit the lunge which leaves me open to takedowns and/or my partner simply stepping around the entry. I've recently replaced it with a western boxing jab with much better results, but I can't help but feel that I'm missing something.

If anyone else has gone down this direction, I'd much appreciate your input and advice on the relevance of Blauer's SPEAR training and it's crossover with IMA.

Thanks,
Dummy.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Re: Blauer's SPEAR system and XY/BGZ entries

Postby BruceP on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:32 pm

Maybe talk to Tony first.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Do you have a video of the lunge you are talking about?

In general when you move forward to enter/attack and you become "overcommitted" or vulnerable to throws it is because your center of gravity is too far over your front foot. More than likely the reason you have more success with a jab is jabs are supposed to be more of a feeler/setup move. So you don't move forward as much when jabbing as when doing the spearing palm stuff.

Slow down the entry until you can keep your balance better then practice it there awhile before speeding it back up.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby TrainingDummy on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Shooter wrote:Maybe talk to Tony first.

As far as I know Tony doesn't do IMA. I'm interested in making my BGZ work better in sparring, and particularly wondering whether the drill progression in SPEAR was a better progression than the BGZ that I've previously been exposed to.

I'm more interested in the opinion of someone who has checked out both and has something to say about it.

Thanks,
Dummy
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Why not train with someone who can actually just use their shit? If you have to piece meal.... that is a big red flag IMO. If you are not getting the results you desire you need to take a look at:
-your training
-your teacher
-yourself

Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:36 pm

Why not: it takes a little while to learn (in your body) how to use IMA skills. Just practice, evaluate, apply it, re evaluate, and practice some more. Eventually you will start being able to use the skills. OTOH, JAB has a valuable point. You may not be getting instruction that is up to standard. Certainly something to think about.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:47 pm

JAB wrote:Why not train with someone who can actually just use their shit? If you have to piece meal.... that is a big red flag IMO. If you are not getting the results you desire you need to take a look at:
-your training
-your teacher
-yourself

My teacher, friend, and training partner, Walk the Torque, can use his shit just fine. It's when I use his shit on him, it don't work so well. His alignments are superior to mine, so I can't contest an extended arm angle at the trapping range. I'm currently using a JuJitsu-ish game of using boxing/savate to enter and take-down, where my ground game (roughly equivalent to a blue belt BJJ) is superior to his.

But that wasn't my question.... My question is concerning BGZ and whether Blauer's system has any cross-overs. I like his system, we all know it's good stuff in the RBCT area. But are his DVD's/ materials worth it for someone who's primary interest is IMA?

Thanks,
Dummy
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Well there you go, you can't beat your teacher because he is still better than you.
Walk is pretty dam good, you will probably be training for a while before you can beat him lol. ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:42 pm

Well bro I cannot beat my teachers either, so there you go. Sounds good to me.

Blauers DVD's are not worth the paper they are printed on IME. Never trained with him though.

Jake
JAB

Postby edededed on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:17 pm

What is this lunge you are talking about? I don't think that bagua's piercing palm has all that much in common with xingyi's piquan, but there isn't really an element of overcommitting in either, is there? Also, most of us are not really familiar with Tony Blauer's SPEAR system, so...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:30 pm

The question I am tempted to ask is what are you trying to achieve with your piercing?

Different functions require different strategies, angles and set ups.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:37 pm

i, also, cant beat my teacher
if i do, then its because he lets me :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Paoquan of Xingyi is, to me, one very obvious instance where you can use the flinch response. Same for our system´s version of Horse.

But personally I would also put forward the view that the training of IMA is geared towards replacing the flinch response with something more present, aware, and complex. This might be more useful, but it also takes longer time and more training.

I have never trained with him, so maybe Blauer makes this point himself in his material.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:58 pm

JAB wrote:
Blauers DVD's are not worth the paper they are printed on IME. Never trained with him though.

Thanks Jake, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Walk the Torque wrote:The question I am tempted to ask is what are you trying to achieve with your piercing?

I've been thinking a lot about this. I guess what I'm trying to achieve is the strategy of rise, drill, overturn, fall in sparring. Against a partner who is very committed and/or uses excessive muscular tension I can get a good handle on my partner's center in the rise, drill phase, and this gives me an opening to apply an technique relatively unimpeded in the overturn,fall phase.

However against an attack that isn't committed or against someone who doesn't have excessive muscular tension I feel that I've actually overcommited my defense. Against you in particular, you use my tsuan/ spear palm as a bridge to -my- center. I feel like I'm playing a defensive game, and playing a defensive game is not a high percentage winner for me against skilled partners.

Since this strategy is not working for me against superior opponents I've been replacing it with a western boxing jab or cross as an offensive defense. At least when I'm using a fully extended strike (compared to the bent elbow used in rise,drill) there is a genuine attack and the opponent must do something about it or get hit. I'm no longer playing defensive and can force my opponent to move.
Last edited by TrainingDummy on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:45 pm

TrainingDummy wrote: what I'm trying to achieve is the strategy of rise, drill, overturn, fall in sparring.

You can always use upper cut, hook punch, back fist to set up your "spear palm" than to use your spear palm as your 1st move. After you have built your bridge with your upper cut, hook punch, or back fist, your spear palm can be used as an octopus's arm that wrap around your opponent's body.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan