How Yin are you?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How Yin are you?

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 1:15 pm

Not enough Yin yet. Bruce is extremely Yang, so working with him is a good way to find my own hardness. Basically, as has been said, if you can feel the opponent's resistance, that means you're resisting. With another skilled player, I've been able to counter or escape everything they threw at me simply by going with it until I decided it was enough and simply let them catch me by tensing up.

I remember when I first started studying good Taiji, and I was having a discussion at work about MA, and one of the guys asked a TKD tournament fighter (scoff all you like, dude's a badass) what he thought of it, and dude said "I fought this one old lady one time and I just couldn't pull anything off. Everytime I struck her, it was like hitting smoke."

That, to me, is what I'm looking for.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby bigphatwong on Sat May 31, 2008 3:10 pm

TaoJoannes wrote:Not enough Yin yet. Bruce is extremely Yang, so working with him is a good way to find my own hardness.

Fabulous! :D
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat May 31, 2008 3:29 pm

bigphatwong wrote:
TaoJoannes wrote:Not enough Yin yet. Bruce is extremely Yang, so working with him is a good way to find my own hardness.

Fabulous! :D

very good sir! :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 3:31 pm

And people wonder why it's so hard to have mature discussions around here. :)
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby bigphatwong on Sat May 31, 2008 3:45 pm

Sorry man. It was as wide open as the US-Mexico border.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat May 31, 2008 3:55 pm

bigphatwong wrote:Sorry man. It was as wide open as the US-Mexico border.

See, now this is a place where I'm resisting the temptation to say something Jess may take offense at. :)
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:38 am

bigphatwong wrote:Sorry man. It was as wide open as the US-Mexico border.

Tiajuana... Taojoannes.... Coincidence? I think not!~!!!!! ;D

Cheep hooker all around!!!!!

Now back to your previously scheduled thread. ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:44 am

In Chinese, vagina = yin dao = "dark passage". Penis = yang ju = "radiant tool".
Ian

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:02 am

In English, vagina = vagina or, the canal that leads to the uterus and Penis = penis, the appendage a man uses to spread his love around.

:D

sorry, had to. the poetic reference to genitalia is always a snicker. :D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:47 am

Get back on topic, people
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:15 am

I am still not relaxed enough and soft enough. I have been working on my relaxation a lot and with yielding to strikes and what not. Personally I think the more extreme yin you can be the greater yang you can be, which means when you strike it should be even more explosive and powerful.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:26 am

Felipe Bidó wrote:Get back on topic, people

Better vizualise it, huh?! anyway here you go . . .

Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:41 pm

to address the original post, my "yin factor" i think i am good at going from very yin to very yang as needed.

without being yin your sensitivity (ting jin) will not be good. and my sensitivity is pretty good so i think that is a attribute of yin.

some example (both good and bad) are here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TDZpJMLvM

in my opinion yin does not mean limp but must have some "strength" in it.

TaoJoannes wrote:Not enough Yin yet. Bruce is extremely Yang, so working with him is a good way to find my own hardness. Basically, as has been said, if you can feel the opponent's resistance, that means you're resisting. With another skilled player, I've been able to counter or escape everything they threw at me simply by going with it until I decided it was enough and simply let them catch me by tensing up.

1. it is good to test that resistance and understand what the other person can and cant do with it.
2. in practice if both parties are always yin you will not have much practice.
3. i think practicing transitioning from yin to yang is very important to understanding sensitivity.
4. this transition from yin to yang does not need to be like a metronome it should be dynamic based on what you feel from the training partner.

TaoJoannes wrote:I remember when I first started studying good Taiji, and I was having a discussion at work about MA, and one of the guys asked a TKD tournament fighter (scoff all you like, dude's a badass) what he thought of it, and dude said "I fought this one old lady one time and I just couldn't pull anything off. Everytime I struck her, it was like hitting smoke."

that is a great skill to develop. along with the skill of being like "smoke" you must also have the skill of being like a freight train and be able to switch between them as needed.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:51 pm

bruce wrote:to address the original post, my "yin factor" i think i am good at going from very yin to very yang as needed.

without being yin your sensitivity (ting jin) will not be good. and my sensitivity is pretty good so i think that is a attribute of yin.

some example (both good and bad) are here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TDZpJMLvM

in my opinion yin does not mean limp but must have some "strength" in it.

TaoJoannes wrote:Not enough Yin yet. Bruce is extremely Yang, so working with him is a good way to find my own hardness. Basically, as has been said, if you can feel the opponent's resistance, that means you're resisting. With another skilled player, I've been able to counter or escape everything they threw at me simply by going with it until I decided it was enough and simply let them catch me by tensing up.

1. it is good to test that resistance and understand what the other person can and cant do with it.
2. in practice if both parties are always yin you will not have much practice.
3. i think practicing transitioning from yin to yang is very important to understanding sensitivity.
4. this transition from yin to yang does not need to be like a metronome it should be dynamic based on what you feel from the training partner.

TaoJoannes wrote:I remember when I first started studying good Taiji, and I was having a discussion at work about MA, and one of the guys asked a TKD tournament fighter (scoff all you like, dude's a badass) what he thought of it, and dude said "I fought this one old lady one time and I just couldn't pull anything off. Everytime I struck her, it was like hitting smoke."

that is a great skill to develop. along with the skill of being like "smoke" you must also have the skill of being like a freight train and be able to switch between them as needed.

Not enough patience to break it out. Yin doesn't mean limp, just not letting you feel the structure, if I feel yours you feel mine, so if I'm trying to hide my structure and I can feel your resistance, I'm resisting too much.

The freight train thing is easier, and I'm not convinced that you really need all that much, ideally, only a minute trigger force should be enough to overwhelm the opponent. I mean, I know you don't necessarily agree with that, but more and more I'm pretty sure that this is the true root of authentic yang taijiquan. I've been blabbing all over the board about this lately, so no need to belabor the point, but I know exactly what I mean, regardless of whether I can communicate it to anybody in a way they can understand if they don't already get it. It's hard.
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby bruce on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:30 pm

TaoJoannes wrote:
Not enough patience to break it out. Yin doesn't mean limp, just not letting you feel the structure, if I feel yours you feel mine, so if I'm trying to hide my structure and I can feel your resistance, I'm resisting too much.

yes and no, if you can feel their structure but can not do anything to it what good is that?
ideally you will not even give them a momentary feel of your structure. but if you give them a little peek it can be to your advantage.

TaoJoannes wrote:The freight train thing is easier, and I'm not convinced that you really need all that much, ideally, only a minute trigger force should be enough to overwhelm the opponent. I mean, I know you don't necessarily agree with that, but more and more I'm pretty sure that this is the true root of authentic yang taijiquan.

in my opinion you must hit hard like a freight train.
i think "authentic yang tai chi chuan" teaches a person to be fast and powerful. this is not to say it is not also important to be "yin" but i think people focus too much on yin and not enough on yang. in my opinion yany luchan did not teach all the yin ideas you seem to be attracted to. i think he taught his students to be fast and powerful.

TaoJoannes wrote:I've been blabbing all over the board about this lately, so no need to belabor the point, but I know exactly what I mean, regardless of whether I can communicate it to anybody in a way they can understand if they don't already get it. It's hard.

i am sure there is some value in the skills you are talking about but i dont think it should be the goal as it may be an unreachable goal is your intention is to defend your self from attack using these methods. you have seen some big tough guys as a bouncer you know they are not going to just be knocked over by a weak little tai chi man.
:D
bruce
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan