TCMA training method - train your eyes

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

TCMA training method - train your eyes

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:05 pm

In TCMA people train their eyes by watching the wave on the lake when the wind blow. If you can notice a little water wave on the lake surface then you will have good eyes in combat and you can see your opponent's movement in detail. I don't know how many people train this way today. Many true traditional training method has been lost in the past 100 years and I believe this is one of the many.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: TCMA training method - train your eyes

Postby I am... on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:23 pm

I use a couple of methods handed down for training the eyes. One of the ones I have developed appreciation for is simple "the eyes follow the hands" when training. I have not tried what you are describing however, have you John?
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:41 pm

I won't suggest anything that I have not train myself. "eyes follow the hands" is one of the TCMA training method. Even that, many people still ignore it sometime. I have seen people did their form that his hands move in front of him but his eyes just look at some infinite point as a zombie has no soul.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Thank you for the reply. Do you find that you get results with watching the waves?

Eyes follow the hands is more difficult to do than it sounds, it is a great exercise.

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:20 pm

It makes your mind clear and sharp. Besides combat value, it may also improve the eye sight in great deal. In our daily life we have focus our eyes in short distance (such as sit in front of a computer) too long. Readjust your eye sight in far distance can make you feel "the world is so wide and the sky is so open" and it's silly to be bothered by small things (such as someone may make an unfriendly command to you on the internet).
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:51 pm

There are many methods in TCMA for training the eyes, but I think that they are often not taught openly... I didn't know about the watching the waves method, though...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby affa on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 pm

high paced video games have been shown to increase visual acuity as well. nerd fu! ;D
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby Daniel on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:31 am

Good point, John.

Yeah, there are several different ones that I have been taught. Not the wave-one, though, not as a technique. I´ll add that. :)

There are many of these. An important one to keep for health is to keep your focal adjustment working. It stiffens with age. If you practice it you will mitigate that. Several of the techniques are also very practically useful in modern day combat or fighting.

And I think you are sadly right about lost practices. Just the amount of practices I have heard about that aren´t around anymore forces you to look at the previous generations of CMA and IMA in a different light. Picture the sheer knowledge that they might have had and that went into their styles and their power and we have lost now.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:44 am

A couple more:

Sitting in the forest without moving, relax and become aware of different animals around you, without necessarily turning to directly look at any of them. Allow the senses to work as a whole until you know exactly where each thing you notice is.

Seated, follow the breathing/what you hear/watch a candle flame, etc. (pick one sense and concentrate on it), and let any other thoughts run their course without feeding them any attention. Among other things this can help in sharpening the perceptions.

-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:57 am

This is discussed in detail in the book -
Better Eyesight Without Glasses by Dr. Bates

There are many eye exercises in the book - after reading this book I threw away my glasses and never wore them again.
Eye glasses are bad for you - so are computers. Dr Bates says , same as John, focus on your finger held up in front of you then without
shifting the eyes or moving change your focus to a distant object. The sensation of this is amazing as you can feel the eyes zooming
just like telephoto lens. If you do this while meditating or doing Tai Chi as in Hand Separation and can get the circulation to the eyes
as you look at the yang hand and then to the distance you will get better results.
roger hao

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:09 pm

affa wrote:high paced video games have been shown to increase visual acuity as well. nerd fu! ;D

I'm on a good path then! Woohoo!

We did some eye training classes in Systema.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby affa on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:28 pm

I am... wrote:Sitting in the forest without moving, relax and become aware of different animals around you, without necessarily turning to directly look at any of them.

i think actually tracking the trajectories of those fast little song-birds probably works the other end of that spectrum. going back and forth between one and the other...
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby jafc on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:08 pm

i have actually played with a bit of this. I will stare out the office window & give a brief focus to anything that moves within my visual field. birds, bugs,cars,people,trees,leaves. It sort of helps pay attention to visual cues. I make it harder by including reflections in the glass made by people moving behind me in the room. focus on the reflection - i figured pivot to focus on them would freak them out.

JC
jafc
Mingjing

Postby Fubo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:44 pm

One method I was taught in a few different MA was to focus on one point while letting the peripheral vision acknowledge other things around. We train this in Zhan Zhuang. I believe it's similar to driving where focus on the car in front, but acknowledge the other things/sounds/movement around.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Brady on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:16 pm

Eye training is one of those rare gems that makes CMA so wonderful. Its pretty interesting how similar (and perhaps more advanced) it is to vestibular/ocular rehab I've learned.
I don't do enough of it, but notice that I have a definitive "shift" to the right with my eyes, so when I'm just playing around I always try to engage the left side of my vision.
Brady
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan