One Leg Or Two?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

One Leg Or Two?

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Just a quick Question.

Do you think more power can be gleaned from single or double legged stances?

I am having an odd period where my single legged stances seem stronger than the double. This wasn't the case before, and I'm wondering if this is inherent or the fact that ZI have been training more bagua than anything else for a while.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Re: One Leg Or Two?

Postby chimerical tortoise on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Afaik, single leg is easier to find your balance on because you only have to worry about one foot.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby BonesCom on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:51 pm

I've noticed it is easier (for me) to get lower in the single leg posture (in dai style xinyi) that the two legged squatting monkey posture. I think it has to do with flexibility rather than strength. Meaning when I'm on one foot there is more weight on that leg and it's easier to sink lower, compared to the 2-legged where there is more resistance/ less weight per leg and I end up having to use muscles to pull me down. What I have noticed though is that the "stretch" I get from one-leg helps me get lower in the two-leg. Make sense? In terms of more power, don't know, I know my legs got much stronger when I started doing pistols and that has help both standing postures and stepping
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby nianfong on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:59 pm

power for what?
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:10 pm

nianfong wrote:power for what?

Striking with palms mostly.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby humbleboxer on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 pm

2 points of contact will provide more stability and power than 1 point of contact. try to swing a bat or a golf club on one leg. to create more force on one leg, upwards springing movements or forward lunging movements will add power. a one legged stance is often a "hidden" kick/knee. good examples of one legged hand strikes are in many Chang Chuan and Shaolin forms. other options are combined punching and kicking for high/low attacks.
humbleboxer
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan