Hitting Through or Hitting In?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Hitting Through or Hitting In?

Postby BruceP on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:48 am

Yeah, Jeice. Hook is the primordial method for learning to get the energy coming back into yourself, but it's a limited model to progress from because it doesn't allow the full disapation and/or redistribution of the energy. It does provide lots of energy for follow-up blows though.

We play with the idea from a gripping format since that's where it's most apparent to people just starting out. It's kinda like completing an electrical curcuit and having the energy return through your feet and back into the ground. It's really painful to be the dummy once folks start to get even a bit of that energy returning. I always feel when they get it early on and ask them to ease up so they can play with it from different alignments.
Last edited by BruceP on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:53 am

Striking into or beyond the target?

Focusing your yi beyond the target is very useful for pushing, throwing qinna etc. It's a principle which goes beyond strinking or martial arts. You can apply it on sports and arts as well. Bowling, snooker, painting or whatever you do. Da Vinci's drawing/painting rule is that your mind draws the line longer than you actally draw or paint. You base your painting on the use of geomatrica shapes and figures. You can not see the shapes, but this thinking will balance your drawing and painting in a more distinct manner then if you don't use this method.

So your mind should always do your movement more and longer then you actually do, regardless if it is form practice or actual application. This will lead your movements and whole body into precision and balance. This is truly a highly useful aspect of using yi!

With that said, I think any method you use to develop awesome striking power is ok. Such a skill is developed through acceleration, suddeness, coordination and timing (how your body react and how well you support your structure when you connect with the target.). It's very complex, but must be developed into simplicity and spontaneous movements. Just continue practicing.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:04 am

Shooter,

Breathwork?
One method I like is to let the guy breathe for you, so in that method in the clip as he punches you with Beng it will squeeze the air out of you (if done right) so you let him do the breathing for you. :)

G
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:50 am

Breathwork?

Like reverse, cleansing and tonic breaths for instance. This is another topic for another thread perhaps, but hitting with breath and sound are complimentary/yang:yin to recieving with breath and sound.

One method I like is to let the guy breathe for you, so in that method in the clip as he punches you with Beng it will squeeze the air out of you (if done right) so you let him do the breathing for you

Ah, gotchya.

Thanks
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Why do you want to hit through if your opponent stands in front a wall? Will your fist pass through his body and then hit on the wall and hurt your own hand?
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:10 pm

johnwang wrote:Why do you want to hit through if your opponent stands in front a wall? Will your fist pass through his body and then hit on the wall and hurt your own hand?

Ideally the squishy human will cushion your impact with the wall, and if your hand goes through the person into the wall... you're a terrifying man, tales will be told.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Re my first question that never got answered: for what modality? What purpose?

Because if you train "hitting in" during practice, it´s very important to know how to modulate what you´re doing, and how to clean it out of the person you hit. Those hits are not toys. Please be careful.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Daniel wrote: Those hits are not toys. Please be careful.

LOL, this is the Rumsoakedfist, and you sound like some kind of a kindergarten teacher! ;D :D
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:11 pm

That´s a yellow duck, young man. You be careful with it. ;)

I stand by what I said, though. Underestimating internal strikes can be dangerous.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:23 pm

Daniel wrote:That´s a yellow duck, young man. You be careful with it. ;)

I stand by what I said, though. Underestimating internal strikes can be dangerous.

D.

What's the worst that could happen? ;)

It's like I said to a friend of mine between rounds "there's a followup to what I hit you with there, but its not friendly."
Some strikes are not meant for well intentioned sparring and are best left for KO contests or real situations. It's not that its the real dim mak or anything, it just not something you do to a friend.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:25 am

Jeice wrote:
Daniel wrote:That´s a yellow duck, young man. You be careful with it. ;)

D.

What's the worst that could happen? ;)

It's like I said to a friend of mine between rounds "there's a followup to what I hit you with there, but its not friendly."
Some strikes are not meant for well intentioned sparring and are best left for KO contests or real situations. It's not that its the real dim mak or anything, it just not something you do to a friend.

I have been hit with some strikes that could defenitely put a man down and cause prolonged pain without knowing how to deal with it. I imagine with enough force behind them they could do some real damage, especially to someone who is tense and not breathing.

As far as visualizing anything when striking someone, I don't know about you all but I don't have time to visualize much of anything when someone is punching me in the face.

Also don't you have to punch through to be able to punch in?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby RobP2 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:12 am

This is why any striking work has to be backed by a proper method of taking strikes. That way the work also becomes two way and a personshould never just be a punchbag. Intention plays an important role in striking people, harm, help or heal and my teachers always emphasised the correct mental approach to striking
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:41 am

and my teachers always emphasised the correct mental approach to striking

...which means?
Bao
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:37 am

In a nutshell, if you are training, don't hit with bad intention
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:17 am

Ah'mon' hit chew so hard it'll kill yore great grandpa!
Chris McKinley

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan