in favor of some form training after doing ph with a newb

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

in favor of some form training after doing ph with a newb

Postby everything on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:24 pm

i've been somewhat anti-form lately, but played around with a new friend who has some "external" striking and bjj experience the other day. he had some good techniques to show us, but i noticed when he played around with push hands, his "whole unit" coordination just was not that good... not sure how one can get that except through form training. either that, or getting lucky over a long period. we could get him doing more ph and it would develop, but seems like form would be much faster, though, since we can't get together often.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: in favor of some form training after doing ph with a newb

Postby Brady on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:17 pm

single action!
Brady
Wuji

Postby RobP2 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:19 pm

There'sa whole bundle of Systema drills that address this issue, some solo, some with partners. You can probably pick some up from Youtube clips or from Steve Wildash's blog http://stevewildash.blogspot.com/
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:24 pm

Brady wrote:single action!

Without going into all the detail of the buildup - yup. Single movement practices and some standing. My preferred format would be to teach Grasp Sparrow´s Tail as single movement practice in each posture, then linked, and standing in each. Neat package. You also get the yin softness as a tool in the toolbox to balance practices further down the line that might be really yang.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Single action is great, and I also find that the benefit of form work is not so much the postures themselves as it is the transitions between postures. There's a lot of good body info about bridging, timing, etc. contained within the transitions.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:46 pm

I am coming around to appreciating those points more than I used to
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan