importance of giving seminars?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

importance of giving seminars?

Postby everything on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:09 am

I remember there was a seminar thread earlier. Wondering how important you think it is for teachers to offer seminars, esp. if you are a current or aspiring teacher. I don't plan to teach MA. However I started wondering about this for all kinds of other topics. I've done some presentations for work, but never thought seriously about fitting them into a personal marketing plan. Interested in what the board thinks about this topic, MA or non-MA related. Do you expect teachers to give seminars? Are there certain kinds of topics that make more sense to offer? From a business point of view, are they financially rewarding, or primarily marketing vehicles for books, etc.?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: importance of giving seminars?

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:15 am

From a student POV I have only been to a couple seminars. The first was an all day shuai jiao seminar by daniel weng. It was great. Its awesome to be able to take a day and do nothing but learn some new stuff and practice it and meet new people. However a big part of teh fun was in shuai jiao its almost all practicing throwing and sparring. Forms seminars are not as fun but still cool. I did the Xingjing seminar and the shuai jiao seminar that were part of last years great lakes tourny. The shuai jiao one was great because we learned applications for the movements too. Thats something you can take home and work on and add to your practice. The xingjing form seminar honestly would have been a waste of time IF I didn't have a teacher trained in that style also. I would have just had the outward motions of the form but the time we had was not enough to get any real substance with it.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:29 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote: Thats something you can take home and work on and add to your practice. The xingjing form seminar honestly would have been a waste of time IF I didn't have a teacher trained in that style also. I would have just had the outward motions of the form but the time we had was not enough to get any real substance with it.

Thanks, I think your quotes here generalize beyond MA.
1) If you can take it home to work on and add to your practice, you received value at the seminar.
2) Afterwards, you may not have enough time or help to really learn.

The second problem is why the seminar giver might offer you books, videos, or follow-on seminars, or in the case of business topics, "consulting engagements". If you were a teacher, if you aren't trying to offer those other things, why would you offer seminars?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:40 pm

Seminars are cool if a few conditions are right:

a) you already practice the style and a leading exponent of that style comes to visit you
b) the teacher visits often and always builds on the material incrementally.
c) you can just learn some apps that you can modify into your own practice
d) there is already a study group in town for the teacher.

Otherwise, probably not worth the time.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:23 pm

+1

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:38 pm

i would say also to simply check out a teacher your interested in ... certainly when i go to seminars it is rarely for any other reason than to check out the teacher hands on.

Cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 pm

There are many reasons to go to seminars. I like them because it's a chance to sample something I've never done before. So I certainly wouldn't refuse to go because the teacher doesn't do my style.

As a teacher, I plan on offering them very soon at my school for a number of reasons.

One is that I could teach stuff that is interesting but we may not have time for it in class. Or it may be something that comes later in the curriculum but I want to throw it out there now and test drive it.

Second, seminars can attract people that don't have time to come to our regular classes. Maybe they just want something to do at home and will appreciate you taking the time to teach them.

Third, it's great for community outreach. It brings people that might not otherwise come into your school. So it's an intro of sorts. But one that feels very non-committal. They are only going to be there for a short time so they feel no pressure. But they might like what they see and take classes anyway.

Fourth, it keeps things interesting for me as a teacher. Teaching classes has to be about what the students need. But seminars can allow you to switch tracks and offer something you don't normally do. This keeps the teaching mentally fresh.

Fifth, it's a chance to bring a big name into your school, which benefits you and them. They aren't gonna stay so no need to worry about losing students. But you can generate some excitement about their coming and perhaps get some private training for yourself in something that you're interested in.

Unfortunately there are downsides. My first planned seminar just failed and it was a valuable learning experience.

One, people can be very picky about the seminar. If they don't do that style, then many people won't want to come. The lack of curiosity shocked me.

Two, no matter what the price, people will complain.

Three, doesn't matter if people say they want to come or not. Until you get money in hand, expect them not to show.

Four, make plans in case the guy can't do the seminar. You look stupid when you tried to bring someone in, did a lot of marketing, and then he can't get a visa or something.

Seminars are like any other part of the martial arts business. You can't be bitter when they fail. You just use it as a learning device for what and what not to do next time.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm

If you go to a SC seminar, your interest should not be to learn "how to throw" but to learn "how to create a change for your throws". IMO, you can learn throws form any SC or Judo books, but those books won't tell you how to create a throwing opportunity in combat environment. Different teachers will teach different "entering strategy". That should be the most interest part.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:46 pm

interesting, very interesting on the benefits from a teacher point of view.

"entering strategy" sounds like an awesome seminar topic from my perspective as a student.
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan