why are CMA people generally dorks?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: why are CMA people generally dorks?

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 am

Jeice wrote:
Darth Rock&Roll wrote:lol.

humor injection seemed to be needed at that moment...but then...

;D

And you just had to try and use your penis... ::)

I try to slip it in where I can, yes....

;D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:
neijia_boxer wrote:Case Scenerio #1-

So I get a call the other day from a guy who used to train with me. he now does BJJ and got a blue belt at a school I do computer work for. He is not happy that he did TCMA (Shaolin in NYC) and Shotokan for over 10 years and now loves BJJ. However the school he is at is not high level BJJ. So he asks me who in the area is the best. i give him my top picks for BJJ in the area. he goes and tries a few classes at each place, decides not to budge.

Case scenerio #2-

i got to Yamasaki acedemy in-house fights that have muay thai and BJJ competiton. I run into an old CMA classmate who is watching. he does San shou/san da, but the school he is at is poor since they do mostly wushu and Tien Shan Pai. i went to his school for 2 years and did san shou there, but know for a fact which schools in the area trains harder and have more champion coaches,fighters, and staff. His school does not train hard, he is talented fighter and could use some real coaching. I suggest he come check out our school for free classes. he never shows up and still half-asses it at the other school.

Case scenerio #3-

Another joker at a CMA school is now fighting in Muay thai events. His videos on youtube look awful, he has no stamina, tired after 30 sec. and swings wide. He loses in each of his now 5 or 6 ( i think he is like 1 and 8) fights due to stamina and endurance going out the door, i suggest trying our school or training with me for endurance and stamina our fight team uses. Our team took 2 guys to WKA nationals and out of 400 fighters both got first place, both claim it was the fight training circuits that made them through the 3 fights each had to do. Dorko never shows up or checks out a class because he wants to get his 2nd degree black sash.

Case scenerio #4-

this dorko is a instructor for many years and now is doing MMA fights. we train hard on focus mitts and thai pads. We go through circuits and he quits early out of breath. i gave him a light version of our training and went 50%. he wants to do things his way. he loses both matches in 2nd round due to exhaustion.

case scenerio #5-

this joker type calls and emails me often and out of the blue, they are like a web bot that seeks info, i never met him but we talk alot and i have given him advice and whats good in the area. hes says he will come by but is always a no show. last I heard he is only 39 and already has had a heart surgery. i dont care to teach him fighting but help him focus on tai chi and meditation.

Case scenerio #6-

this guy finally get around to train and has been doing CMA for over 15 years. he comes over with a tie dyed t-shirt and leather indian boots up to his knees. he says he knows the tai chi form and flows through the native american hippy form from the wizard of the purple clouds sect. he smokes to much weed and still has a pair of nunchuks hanging on his wall.

Conclusion- my final answer for advice will now always be- "seek and you shall find" - dont askme... fuck off... i aint giving out no-mo advice to CMA dorks.

Most of your dork scenarios revolve around people that don't train with you. Why is that? It's really hard for me too but my advice is to not focus on the people that don't study with you, focus on the ones that do.

A question to ask yourself is why do these people get you so worked up? Why aren't you focusing on the positive (the people you do have)?

I'm asking myself those questions BTW so I'm not preaching at you. My answer so far is I don't have enough people period. When I do, I hope people like the above won't bother me so much.

But in looking at the scenarios above, I would also ask: are you selling what people are buying? People may be communicating their needs to you and you aren't meeting them. I know it's easy to blame the customer but these reactions could be negative feedback about the message you're sending.

Or they could just be dorks. ;) MAs really do attract some strange people. Hard to tell sometimes whether the problem is teachers or students or both.

Dave C.

Dave- first off, thanks for bringing the topic back to center and towards the original issue.

A big part of it does not concern me as a teacher, i dont teach, I just look for friends to practice fighting. I am a proud student of IMA but train under reputable fighters and coaches who have been there and done that.

It has everything with helping point the right direction for these CMA people to achieve high level of performance in their fighting or martial arts. Many of them want to be great fighters in San shou, Muay thai, Jujitsu, or improve in IMA in some way. As someone who is not a Champion fighter- I dont want to take on the role as if I were. That is why I give advice to these people as to who is someone who could really raise their level and ability to be a more successful BJJ player or fighter.

Now it would be nice to be able to train with some of these CMA comrades and work together on fight training but they are not open minded and thus fall into Dorkdom.

At the MMA school, CMA is frowned upon and laughed at as a non-realistic type of fighting system. Me and a few other CMA people actually are out to prove that wrong. For instance the best fighter at our school did once go to one of the other CMA schools I mentioned, but moved on knowing that they are limited, and now he is now WKA national champ in Muay thai.

I only want to see these Dorks graduate to a higher level and not be complacent. I am pointing at the moon but they are looking at my finger. Complacency with not trying new methods or doing it their way is close mindedness in my interpretation. Now they suffer with humiliating defeat in the ring. It would be nice if I could get more CMA people to train in fighting, it could be very productive for both parties.
neijia_boxer

Postby Chowfarn on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:56 pm

When I did Kendo (Japanese fencing) - its seemed to attract some strange people. Some real *Dork Vaders*.
They think you just stand there & slash away - but the training is quite physically demanding.
Also they think wearing that armor when sparring is a force field ...................... how quickly they learn.
For an art that spends a lot of time sparring - some people just can't stand being hit !

A short stint of 'Aikido', was weird too.
The group I trained with were so caught up in "O-sensei's" words of peace & non-violence.
At times it was like religion with a couple of joint locks & rolls after mass.

All arts forms get them, not just martial arts.
Years ago when I was playing in bands & gigging around the place - some of the lead guitarists & drummers you meet questions Darwin's theory of natural selection.
Last edited by Chowfarn on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chowfarn
Anjing

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:15 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:Dave- first off, thanks for bringing the topic back to center and towards the original issue.

A big part of it does not concern me as a teacher, i dont teach, I just look for friends to practice fighting. I am a proud student of IMA but train under reputable fighters and coaches who have been there and done that.

It has everything with helping point the right direction for these CMA people to achieve high level of performance in their fighting or martial arts. Many of them want to be great fighters in San shou, Muay thai, Jujitsu, or improve in IMA in some way. As someone who is not a Champion fighter- I dont want to take on the role as if I were. That is why I give advice to these people as to who is someone who could really raise their level and ability to be a more successful BJJ player or fighter.

Now it would be nice to be able to train with some of these CMA comrades and work together on fight training but they are not open minded and thus fall into Dorkdom.

At the MMA school, CMA is frowned upon and laughed at as a non-realistic type of fighting system. Me and a few other CMA people actually are out to prove that wrong. For instance the best fighter at our school did once go to one of the other CMA schools I mentioned, but moved on knowing that they are limited, and now he is now WKA national champ in Muay thai.

I only want to see these Dorks graduate to a higher level and not be complacent. I am pointing at the moon but they are looking at my finger. Complacency with not trying new methods or doing it their way is close mindedness in my interpretation. Now they suffer with humiliating defeat in the ring. It would be nice if I could get more CMA people to train in fighting, it could be very productive for both parties.

Thanks for clarifying. In that case you could very well be right. But in that situation I can see other possibilities.

Who people train with depends on many things, some of which you may not be able to see. Those guys may have political or personal reasons for not studying with the people you suggest. It happens a whole lot.

Second, they may not have the exact goals you think they do or even what they're telling you. Their motivations may be different. People's personal psychological makeup can be weird.

I understand you're the finger and not the moon but your advice would be a lot more effective if you were a champion yourself or perhaps closer to whatever these people may be trying to be. Many people look to other people with actual personal experience to give them advice. For example, as a taichi teacher that talks about health a lot, I see it as my responsibility to stay healthy. My advice is more effective that way.

So maybe the dorks deserve some slack. :P

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby BonesCom on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:10 pm

You can't help people that don't want to help themselves
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby Walk the Torque on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:30 pm

johnwang wrote:
neijia_boxer wrote:i aint giving out no-mo advice to CMA dorks.

I will call this "Use your warm face to touch someone's cold ass."

A: I need some suggestion on ...
B: You can try ... and ...
A: wtf you guys arent even in ufc so no more 'tips' plz. do not reply to this and have a nice day.

A: I needs some advice on ...
B: You can try ... and ...
A: What style do you train? Provide evidence for your crazy talk.
C: I don't think you should worry about what he's talking about since it smells like bullshit. Just do what your coach is telling you.

A: What's the best way to set up uchi mata?
B: The Kawazu gake will be an excellent set up for uchi mata.
C: You are not even a Judoka. Nobody care about your opinion. Why are you still hanging around here?

After this kind of experience, "helping others" has been proved to be harmful to your own health.

A: I need some advice on ...
B: You can got to fuck yourself.
A: ???

;D ;D ;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:31 pm

klonk wrote:Yep. Don't give advice unasked, that's my best advice...

who asked you!!?

;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for clarifying. In that case you could very well be right. But in that situation I can see other possibilities.

Who people train with depends on many things, some of which you may not be able to see. Those guys may have political or personal reasons for not studying with the people you suggest. It happens a whole lot.

Second, they may not have the exact goals you think they do or even what they're telling you. Their motivations may be different. People's personal psychological makeup can be weird.

I understand you're the finger and not the moon but your advice would be a lot more effective if you were a champion yourself or perhaps closer to whatever these people may be trying to be. Many people look to other people with actual personal experience to give them advice. For example, as a tai chi teacher that talks about health a lot, I see it as my responsibility to stay healthy. My advice is more effective that way.

So maybe the dorks deserve some slack. :P

Dave C.

I like the way you think analytically and with a different approach. I guess that its my mistake to push these people as hard as I have been pushed. Where I am coming from there is no off season training. We train like we have a fight tomorrow. When i am seriously injured is my time off but I normally fall back on soft training if i get a major injury. you 'll see me fight soon enough I have a few events planned this year so yeah I just need to work on my own training, stfu, and stay healthy. it would be nice to have my dork friends from other schools come out and train, since they are missing out. my view is "friends dont let friends waste there time at chump schools",but then again "god helps those who help themselves."

John Wang made a good point to in his Warm Face- Cold Ass post.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:00 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:I like the way you think analytically and with a different approach. I guess that its my mistake to push these people as hard as I have been pushed. Where I am coming from there is no off season training. We train like we have a fight tomorrow. When i am seriously injured is my time off but I normally fall back on soft training if i get a major injury. you 'll see me fight soon enough I have a few events planned this year so yeah I just need to work on my own training, stfu, and stay healthy. it would be nice to have my dork friends from other schools come out and train, since they are missing out. my view is "friends dont let friends waste there time at chump schools",but then again "god helps those who help themselves."

John Wang made a good point to in his Warm Face- Cold Ass post.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. But you can't focus on those guys cause it'll sabotage your own training. Focus on the training partners you have and not the ones you don't and you'll do better. Those other guys will have to find their own path, as you've already figured out. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

BTW there are many ways to train and I can see people not being able or attracted to training the way you are. Training like there's no off-season can be brutal, mentally and physically. It's not for everyone. And AFAIK you can't physically stay in peak condition all the time anyway. I recommend the Science of Sports Training by Tom Kurz on this. So maybe cut them some slack?

As for thinking analytically, I've had to start delving into the psychology a lot as part of my teaching. As a teacher, I have to understand what motivates people to do what they do (or don't do) so I can teacher them better, which in turn helps my business. Since then, I've become a bit more aware of the complexity around teaching and studying MA.

Good luck.

Dave C.
Last edited by Formosa Neijia on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:18 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:As for thinking analytically, I've had to start delving into the psychology a lot as part of my teaching. As a teacher, I have to understand what motivates people to do what they do (or don't do) so I can teacher them better, which in turn helps my business. Since then, I've become a bit more aware of the complexity around teaching and studying MA.

Nice! dave- i've noticed that as well, some people dont like to be touched for application, throws, Qi-na training.

This guy in NY that teaches sanshou has some good insights as well he says-

"I have found something quite strange. People have less issues with getting smacked with a focus mitt than with a glove. Starting off with pad drills people, especially women (not designed to be a sexist comment, please understand), learn to block, slip, duck, etc. I wait until they have a good feeling for it then we go into partner work. You start off with EXACTLY the same drills they were doing with the focus mitts. Cover up vs. hook, slip vs jab and cross, duck vs. hook etc. So they feel less concerned because they have already done it with the focus mitts. "

That is how i have been starting some of my IMA friends into more combat drills as well with focus mitts. i am not out to be an instructor just looking for more training partners so I can get my goals completed.
neijia_boxer

Postby klonk on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:22 am

Walk the Torque wrote:
klonk wrote:Yep. Don't give advice unasked, that's my best advice...

who asked you!!?

;D

See? See? What did I tell you!? :D
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:47 am

Can we get back to talking about my huge dork?
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:38 am

Yo, Darth.

Here ya go, man! ;)

Happy to support your huge dorkyness. ;D

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:28 am

zenshiite wrote:...Star Wars for my inner dork and especially Star Wars for my attraction to internal styles. Working with chi, use the Force. Star Wars is my wu xia, so if I was a kid who grew up in Hong Kong reading Jin Yong or Gu Long I'd still be a dork doing IMA, but no... I'm a Star Wars nerd doing IMA.

Whew! Glad I'm not the only one. ;)
I get excited to practice after I see Yoda kick ass.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am

Is that Kosher? ???

Doc ;D
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan