why are CMA people generally dorks?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: why are CMA people generally dorks?

Postby Haoran on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:45 pm

LOL.. ditto on that.

Gay Dog??
Haoran
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Ollie is gay?
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:15 pm

I blame this guy.

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:01 pm

well, in the official breed description, he's called "gay" twice!

also, he prefers boy animals over girl animals and the same goes for humans.

so gay, he is. lol

but it's ok, because he's a good boy to boot!:)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:21 pm

My own personal kungfu has a strong emphasis on being able to take it

Sounds like one those prison styles. :)

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:28 pm

shawnsegler wrote:
My own personal kungfu has a strong emphasis on being able to take it

Sounds like one those prison styles. :)

S

hmmm, might be useful there.

;D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:39 pm

To me, perhaps the dorkiest trait among CMA folks is their tendency to put their brains on hold and leave their common sense and objectivity at the door when they start training. It's hysterical to see the blind loyalty in some practitioners to concepts that they not only haven't personally tested, but that they don't even understand, sometimes admittedly. Any time people voluntarily stop thinking in order to take part in something, it invites the creation of cults of personality, a phenomenon which IMA especially is riddled with. Such is the nature of martial arts which follow an elitist philosophy. By contrast, those that adhere more to a populist philosophy don't have the added marketing tool of mysticism. Anyone can have the skills...all they have to do is put in the hard work. They also don't have to wait ten years to see if what they are being sold as effective actually is, or whether they are buying a pig in a poke instead....the results begin to yield themselves within months, not years.

The way a lot of CMA are marketed/taught in the U.S., the obvious benefit of the training isn't made apparent by regular testing of the skills being sold, and only the dorkiest among us tend to fall for such a lame proposal.
Chris McKinley

Postby klonk on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:53 pm

johnwang wrote:
Darthwing Teorist wrote:What is wrong with computer programmers?

They try to design a loop so the machine can wait "faster".

LOL!

Klonk--recovering software engineer
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:19 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:i aint giving out no-mo advice to CMA dorks.

I will call this "Use your warm face to touch someone's cold ass."

A: I need some suggestion on ...
B: You can try ... and ...
A: wtf you guys arent even in ufc so no more 'tips' plz. do not reply to this and have a nice day.

A: I needs some advice on ...
B: You can try ... and ...
A: What style do you train? Provide evidence for your crazy talk.
C: I don't think you should worry about what he's talking about since it smells like bullshit. Just do what your coach is telling you.

A: What's the best way to set up uchi mata?
B: The Kawazu gake will be an excellent set up for uchi mata.
C: You are not even a Judoka. Nobody care about your opinion. Why are you still hanging around here?

After this kind of experience, "helping others" has been proved to be harmful to your own health.

A: I need some advice on ...
B: You can got to fuck yourself.
A: ???
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Yep. Don't give advice unasked, that's my best advice...
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:53 pm

- The barber only shaves those who does not shave themselves.
- Does the barber shave himself?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:54 pm

I am lying.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:Case Scenerio #1-

So I get a call the other day from a guy who used to train with me. he now does BJJ and got a blue belt at a school I do computer work for. He is not happy that he did TCMA (Shaolin in NYC) and Shotokan for over 10 years and now loves BJJ. However the school he is at is not high level BJJ. So he asks me who in the area is the best. i give him my top picks for BJJ in the area. he goes and tries a few classes at each place, decides not to budge.

Case scenerio #2-

i got to Yamasaki acedemy in-house fights that have muay thai and BJJ competiton. I run into an old CMA classmate who is watching. he does San shou/san da, but the school he is at is poor since they do mostly wushu and Tien Shan Pai. i went to his school for 2 years and did san shou there, but know for a fact which schools in the area trains harder and have more champion coaches,fighters, and staff. His school does not train hard, he is talented fighter and could use some real coaching. I suggest he come check out our school for free classes. he never shows up and still half-asses it at the other school.

Case scenerio #3-

Another joker at a CMA school is now fighting in Muay thai events. His videos on youtube look awful, he has no stamina, tired after 30 sec. and swings wide. He loses in each of his now 5 or 6 ( i think he is like 1 and 8) fights due to stamina and endurance going out the door, i suggest trying our school or training with me for endurance and stamina our fight team uses. Our team took 2 guys to WKA nationals and out of 400 fighters both got first place, both claim it was the fight training circuits that made them through the 3 fights each had to do. Dorko never shows up or checks out a class because he wants to get his 2nd degree black sash.

Case scenerio #4-

this dorko is a instructor for many years and now is doing MMA fights. we train hard on focus mitts and thai pads. We go through circuits and he quits early out of breath. i gave him a light version of our training and went 50%. he wants to do things his way. he loses both matches in 2nd round due to exhaustion.

case scenerio #5-

this joker type calls and emails me often and out of the blue, they are like a web bot that seeks info, i never met him but we talk alot and i have given him advice and whats good in the area. hes says he will come by but is always a no show. last I heard he is only 39 and already has had a heart surgery. i dont care to teach him fighting but help him focus on tai chi and meditation.

Case scenerio #6-

this guy finally get around to train and has been doing CMA for over 15 years. he comes over with a tie dyed t-shirt and leather indian boots up to his knees. he says he knows the tai chi form and flows through the native american hippy form from the wizard of the purple clouds sect. he smokes to much weed and still has a pair of nunchuks hanging on his wall.

Conclusion- my final answer for advice will now always be- "seek and you shall find" - dont askme... fuck off... i aint giving out no-mo advice to CMA dorks.

Most of your dork scenarios revolve around people that don't train with you. Why is that? It's really hard for me too but my advice is to not focus on the people that don't study with you, focus on the ones that do.

A question to ask yourself is why do these people get you so worked up? Why aren't you focusing on the positive (the people you do have)?

I'm asking myself those questions BTW so I'm not preaching at you. My answer so far is I don't have enough people period. When I do, I hope people like the above won't bother me so much.

But in looking at the scenarios above, I would also ask: are you selling what people are buying? People may be communicating their needs to you and you aren't meeting them. I know it's easy to blame the customer but these reactions could be negative feedback about the message you're sending.

Or they could just be dorks. ;) MAs really do attract some strange people. Hard to tell sometimes whether the problem is teachers or students or both.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:lol.

humor injection seemed to be needed at that moment...but then...

;D

And you just had to try and use your penis... ::)
Jeice
Anjing

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:35 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
but it's ok, because he's a good boy to boot!:)

That he is. He is also very adorable. In a doggie kind of way. ;D

Good post, Dave C.
Last edited by Darthwing Teorist on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan