Weight Training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Weight Training

Postby JusticeZero on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:52 pm

Recently, a colleague of mine got me hooked on bodyweight strength exercizes, after i'd mentioned wanting more strength. I would like at some point to be able to go fully aerobic with handstand pushups; it would help a lot with floor movement to get the worst strains down into the 'casual strength' category.
"Freedom is the ability to move in any direction you choose." - Mestre No
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby Brady on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:08 pm

handstand pushups are something I've always wanted to be able to do. I can do a handstand now, but I'm still trying to gain the shoulder blade motion necessary in the position.
Brady
Wuji

Postby JusticeZero on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Yeah, i've concluded that it's important conditioning. For whatever reason i've gone a bit light on pure strength building until recently, when I realized I barely had the strength to do a lot of my bread and butter movements in a realm in which I was increasingly specializing more in. I'm still needing my legs supported on something at this point, but i'm starting from a dead relaxed stop now with low reps, and making headway daily. In time i'll be busting out a hundred of the things for a warmup, if all goes as hoped.. that and going into a handstand out of queda de rins.
My teacher has suggested that I need to be ready for a spar done mostly with floor movements that lasts 12 minutes, and be able to stand unsupported on my hands without moving my hand placement for 12 sec.
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:29 pm

I love weight training. Not as much as IMA, but I make it a part of my training.

The method which I do is geared for strength, rather than excessive size. When you start to life heavy weight, some size naturally happens and that is a byproduct. So in that regard, I'll do single reps of something heavy or something like Pavel's Power to the People routine, which is some variation of a couple sets of a few reps.

That's the how, the what is:

dead lifts
squats
clean and press
bent press

that's mainly it, but that's plenty.

I'll also use the kettlebells for the clean and press and also for the endurance work of the swings and the snatches.

On the other side of the spectrum (but still not in the zombie bodybuilder gym guy zone), I've done a very watered down version of the 20 rep squat routine, just to try it. It works, it puts on size and strength. I'd like to do it for real just to see if I have the mental strength to go through the thing but like the experts say, you'll need some cash to buy new clothes.

As for your internal development, well, I've got a long way to go in continuing the IMA but I don't see how it will destroy your chi. It's a myth. That is unless you become a zombie gym guy who just does curls all day.

When it comes to flexibility, it is still important to stretch. No way around that one. Even without weight training. So it becomes all the more important to keep up on it with weights. Still though, if you are focusing keeping the reps low and the kilos high, then you will get very strong and won't have the flexibility of this guy:

Chris Fleming

Postby eddie mush on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:

:-\ is that even for real... damn.

I train 3 times a week.
Front Squat, one legged squats (even I suck), bench, chin-ups, dips, romanian deadlifts one legged, horizontal pulls to get shoulders back where they belong, some Ross inspired drills and a little core and abd. work.

Oh yes I follow: http://twentypullups.com/ and I can now do 6 with good form. :D

LOL @ Dale and Wife
Martin Lund Rasmussen

In case you are unfamiliar with Eddie Mush, he was the character in the movie "A Bronx Tale" who was a total jinx. He had a perfect track record of losing every bet he ever placed as well as jinxing everyone around him.
eddie mush
Anjing

Postby Brad on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:46 pm

I do curls with dumb bells once in awhile, but haven't thrown myself into any kind of routine yet. Trying to learn more about weight training first :P
Brad

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Brady wrote:So Deus do you do these isolation exercises to increase martial efficacy?
I have a few clients as a trainer who I've taken from other trainers and switched them from isolated barbell/dumbbell intensive programs to more bodyweight and full kinetic chain exercises with huge successes. Really emphasized to me the dangers of isolated exercise even when done by those very knowledgeable.

Nah. IMO martial efficacy is only mildly related to muscular strength. Striking power is generated by things other than main strength. I do isolation exercises cause they are fun and they build strength. Unlike some people I disagree that isolation exercises will somehow hurt my martial arts. All types of exercises have their place IMO.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby JusticeZero on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:24 pm

I do the exercises to build endurance, personally.
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby Ian on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:36 am

Twice a week I do some standard lifts.

Workout 1 = squats, military press, rows, weighted pull-ups.

Workout 2 = squats, bench, deadlift, weighted dips.

But it's not the focus of my training (both take about 40 minutes), and I don't do it to bulk up. Also I don't eat like a pig, which I find unethical, a waste of time, and bad for your health.

The rest of the time I spend on slow or isometric bodyweight exercises, zhan zhuang, rolling, running, swimming, rock climbing, weapons, partner drills...
Ian

Postby inky on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 am

i used to weight train 3-4 times a week, whole body routines with either dead lifts / front squats / hang cleans every work out. i quit the gym about 6 months ago because my goals moved more from looking good naked to getting better at my tai chi, i still do weights at home 3 times a week.

i like to interchange each session between body weight exercises and complexes, some days i'll just do some one armed snatches and overhead squats.
inky
Santi

Postby Waterway on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:52 pm

I've done Olympic Lifting for a few years now. Training involves variations of Cleans, Jerks, Snatches, Front Squats. Lifting the weight dynamically as possible.

I like Oly Weightlifting as the lifts engage the whole body (i.e. body working as a single unit to get the weight to the finish position). I have found it has help make me a bit more flexible in the hips and shoulders too.

So far I haven't noticed any negative impact in my IMA training, but I am a Taiji noob. If anything I think it has actually helped! I seem to be able to "settle" and hold certain postures better than other people at my experience level.
Waterway
Anjing

Postby Walk the Torque on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:48 pm

When it comes to using weights, its all about stability and whole body training for me.

I coil and uncoil on all free weight lifts, and Kettle ball; swings with kettle ball (medicine ball with handles) and walking the circle doing spiral and spherical type actions. All these build strength and co-ordination in the why I wish to use it. Oh, and I do them all with weighted vest and ankle weights.

I just got back into jumping around on and off walls, benches, and the like. I also Swim and do fun stuff in the pool for to five times weekly; and I just scored a Pilates machine free! So I've been having fun with that too.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:27 pm

i got an old soloflex from a guy at work.

it's weird. the rubber offers resistance but in a weird way. i can do standard pullups and dips on it as well as roman chair situps. but the other exercises are a little strange. still, will probably do a little of it but i prefer bodyweight training. would love to work up to 20 pullups
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:59 am

I'm going to get some small weights to do some bagua spiral type hand exercises. Also want to start doing some bodyweight exercises (burpees etc) to help with conditioning. But frankly it's pretty peripheral to my main practice. Def not up for building bulk, not my thing.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Jphaas on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:53 pm

The majority of my workouts consist of bodyweight exercises, but I do like to incorporate kettlebells, clubbells, sandbags, and medicine balls for variety. I've been on a kettlebell kick lately, using them to work mainly grip strength and to stabilize structure. A little KB juggling is also a great, fun way to work manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, as well as grip - just make sure you do it outside! :)
Jphaas
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan