difference between PH and pummeling drills?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: difference between PH and pummeling drills?

Postby mrtoes on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:49 am

In my limited experience push hands has been typically from a medium range, i.e. starting in hand contact so no bridging from longer range, not really closing to very close range. Funnily enough I was thinking recently that it would be nice to close to pummelling range with my push hands and see where that goes. Sometimes I wonder what shouldn't be in push hands, technique wise.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 am

everything wrote:I like the "minimum effort" or "4 oz" ideal, not because of judo or taiji but because there is always someone stronger and it's easy to gas.

It's useful, but only part of the solution. You can't use "4 oz" against a schoolbus.
Last edited by Ian on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby bailewen on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:45 am

Sure you can.

Just apply it to the steering wheel. If there's no power steering then 4 oz. on either the gas of brakes should have an effect. ;)
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:25 am

you know what I mean :)
Ian

Postby cdobe on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:04 am

When the schoolbus is balancing on the edge of a cliff, you can push it with 4 oz. And that's the point. Because you can do as many systema pushups as you want and further develop your scary knuckles :o, you won't be able to move the schoolbus either.

CD
Last edited by cdobe on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:19 am

cdobe wrote:When the schoolbus is balancing on the edge of a cliff, you can push it with 4 oz. And that's the point.

you worry me, man :)

you won't be able to move the schoolbus either.

well you can get out of the way...

ps. my knuckles are naturally like that! :-\
Ian

Postby cdobe on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:43 am

Ian wrote:ps. my knuckles are naturally like that! :-\

Sorry, Ian. I didn't mean to make it sound like you were a freak or something. It was meant as an appreciatory remark. Your fists looked strong and like they're forming a nice surface to hit with. No need to wear gloves all summer ;)

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 am

I demand to see this picture of Ian's knuckles so I can judge for myself!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:59 am

cdobe wrote:Sorry, Ian. I didn't mean to make it sound like you were a freak or something.

I know, I didn't take offense :)

Graham, why post pics of yourself even if you're crap? ;D
Ian

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:04 am

Were you naked in the photo you sent to Chris? That's the vibe I'm getting.... ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:39 am

the difference between pummeling and push hands is that in pummeling- alot of aggressive strength is being used to get into superior positioning in a tie-up, clinch, or body lock. Pummeling is used to either get the superior position or avoid it. Pummeling uses the overhook/underhook transitiong to take someone to ground.
pummeling drill- black gets a body lock on the smaller guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suZl9WG7nq0

Push hands is much softer as many have said here with less strength and use of more skill to unbalance the opponet but not necessarily take them to the ground. Push hands deals with many principles and tends to answer aggression with stick, adhere, neutralize, and follow. the 'follow' being a push, strike, fajing, takedown, ect.
neijia_boxer

Postby cdobe on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 am

GrahamB wrote:Were you naked in the photo you sent to Chris? That's the vibe I'm getting.... ;D

I guess this is called a projection in psychology ;D

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3658&p=65028

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:20 am

I guess my take on "pummeling" is a bit different from some of you here.

When I was a young boy helping my German immigrant grandfather on his farm, he told me "You vill do ze chores I asked of you, und you vill like it, or else I vill 'pummel' you." It didn't take more than one memorable experience to understand what this meant. :o

Believe me when I say that these folks ran a strictly supervised farm operation. :-\

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:02 pm

neijia_boxer wrote: Pummeling uses the overhook/underhook...

The 抄(Chao) overhook and 圈(Quan) underhook are such an important principles and it should be part of the Taiji PH. There are many other important principles that should also be included in Taiji PH such as: 蓋(Gai) Cover Hands, 分(Fen) Separate hands, 掖(Ye) Hand clamping, 引(Yin) Guiding, 捧(Peng) Arm raising, 架(Jia) Elbow Locking, ...
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:31 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:the difference between pummeling and push hands is that in pummeling- alot of aggressive strength is being used to get into superior positioning in a tie-up, clinch, or body lock. Pummeling is used to either get the superior position or avoid it. Pummeling uses the overhook/underhook transitiong to take someone to ground.
pummeling drill- black gets a body lock on the smaller guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suZl9WG7nq0

Push hands is much softer as many have said here with less strength and use of more skill to unbalance the opponet but not necessarily take them to the ground. Push hands deals with many principles and tends to answer aggression with stick, adhere, neutralize, and follow. the 'follow' being a push, strike, fajing, takedown, ect.

If ph is sort of a softer (and arguably better - depending on if 4 oz or minimum effort is desired) cousin of pummeling, I would say one should learn basic pummeling first if possible. Then getting more "subtle" makes sense.

"I'm gonna pummel you" sounds a lot more threatening than "I'm gonna push hands/fajin you", which sounds rather dorky. Full of dorkitude.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan