Martial Arts for Toddlers

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Martial Arts for Toddlers

Postby BruceP on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Personal combat begins as soon as a child exhibits territorial behaviors. Nothing anyone can do about that. Might as well recognize it and provide them with the tools they need to develop skills and strategies to deal with having their boundaries tested by others.

Kids should be taught to fight, but in such a manner that they would never actualize the learning unless it was a natural response to a genuine threat. Harnessing the combative skills that come naturally and spontaneously to kids doesn't have to involve the loss of innocence. They generally don't relate games and play to combative actions, so they need a de-emphasized method of exploring conflict while incorporating the movement patterns they naturally gravitate toward while under age-appropriate (non-threatening/non-violent) pressure.

Pressure can be created in fun and entertaining ways. Multi-tasking beyond their capacity is one type of play I used to teach my kids lots of skills that had nothing to do with fighting. I'd go first so they could see me break down and fail as I try to 'keep all the plates spinning' so to speak. It was a good way for them to reinforce those patterns they were most comfortable with while giving them confidence to explore new patterns, knowing they could always fall back when the pressure got to be too much. Their ability to innovate was hilarious, and at times, amazing.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:28 pm

You know what is a big suckage? Seeing a 3 year old start to slouch... perfect posture just a few months ago, and then they just start slouching.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:37 pm

Shooter wrote:Personal combat begins as soon as a child exhibits territorial behaviors. Nothing anyone can do about that. Might as well recognize it and provide them with the tools they need to develop skills and strategies to deal with having their boundaries tested by others.

Kids should be taught to fight, but in such a manner that they would never actualize the learning unless it was a natural response to a genuine threat. Harnessing the combative skills that come naturally and spontaneously to kids doesn't have to involve the loss of innocence. They generally don't relate games and play to combative actions, so they need a de-emphasized method of exploring conflict while incorporating the movement patterns they naturally gravitate toward while under age-appropriate (non-threatening/non-violent) pressure.

Nice post.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:53 pm

zenshiite wrote:You know what is a big suckage? Seeing a 3 year old start to slouch... perfect posture just a few months ago, and then they just start slouching.

Animals too - watch this cat lose the will to live! ;D

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c12_1239886120
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:52 pm

GrahamB wrote:
zenshiite wrote:You know what is a big suckage? Seeing a 3 year old start to slouch... perfect posture just a few months ago, and then they just start slouching.

Animals too - watch this cat lose the will to live! ;D

LOL! Awesome! Cat was like "Aaaaah Fack!!" ;D :D
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:57 pm

That was hysterical Graham ;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby internalenthusiast on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:17 pm

i haven't read every post. i loved the clip from caliG. at the top of the thread.

i also really like bruce's post. i think there are ways to involve kids, without violating where they are in life.

i wish i'd received this kind of training/mentorship as a young child. it might be like teaching a kid to swim at a young age?
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Graham, that cat clip is hysterically awesome. Thanks, I'm sending it around.

I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:52 pm

internalenthusiast wrote:
i wish i'd received this kind of training/mentorship as a young child. it might be like teaching a kid to swim at a young age?

yes, swimming is an essential skill imo. ma, not really, but sure is a nice-to-have.

my kids get swimming, some basic gymnastics, fitness and sports, some basic ma. in basically that order.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby jasonf on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:30 am

Totally agree that training young kids in MA is bogus. I don't have any children yet, but when I'm with family young'ns I try and play with their balance. They always seem to want to wrestle around so softly letting them fall down a lot or spinning them around gets lots of laughs or a little frustration. I've never pointed out to do this or careful for that, just play with them and they'll figure it out, but deffinatley not hitting and not too serious for the kids its all about play.
jasonf
Huajing

Postby CaliG on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:13 pm

I'm curious is those who don't believe in teaching kids any MAs think there's anything harmful going on in the video.
CaliG

Postby GrahamB on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:13 pm

CaliG wrote:I'm curious is those who don't believe in teaching kids any MAs think there's anything harmful going on in the video.

The original one or the cat one? ;D

I don't like the original Systema kid one at all. I don't think there's anything "harmful" going on, but it freaks me out to see little kids acting like adults and not like little kids. There's something unnatural about it.

In the cat one, the pigeon escapes, so I think it's pretty harmless ;D

Oh, and I think kids doing something like judo would be fine. When they get a bit older though.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:16 pm

GrahamB wrote:
CaliG wrote:I'm curious is those who don't believe in teaching kids any MAs think there's anything harmful going on in the video.

The original one or the cat one? ;D

I don't like the original Systema kid one at all. I don't think there's anything "harmful" going on, but it freaks me out to see little kids acting like adults and not like little kids. There's something unnatural about it.

In the cat one, the pigeon escapes, so I think it's pretty harmless ;D

I didn't see a kid acting like an adult.

I do this with my kid and she can't stop laughing. In fact now she runs around the room and has me chase her.

Anyway, it's your opinion and I respect it. Adult or not, what frightens me is when kids watch TV all day.
CaliG

Postby GrahamB on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:19 pm

I wrestle my little lad all the time - he loves it - it's hugs and giggles and tickles all the time. The kid in the Systema clip doesn't seem to be laughing very much, at least to me. Just my opinion.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:12 pm

I hear you. To me this would be extreme for a young kid.

More than likely I'll raise my kids on BJJ/Judo (if they're interested). This way she can deal with kids trying to pick on them when it really counts like throwing them down, sitting on them and hitting them.

I think striking should come later maybe in their teens when they're bodies are more developed. But it's hard to say, I imagine most of us here are good parents but some kids grow up in very rough households and our kids are going to have to deal with some pretty aggressive kids when they grow up and some of those kids are going to have a mindset that even police officers would have a hard time dealing with.
Last edited by CaliG on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CaliG

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan