limitations and shortcomings

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: limitations and shortcomings

Postby GrahamB on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:35 am

RobP2 wrote:Exactly. After 20+ years I just worked out how to do a squat properly last week....

Or so you think. Remember Rob - today's epiphany is tomorrow's half truth! 8-)
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:07 am

Bao wrote:
mrtoes wrote:I (still) can't relax.

How long have you practiced? It took me fifteen years to learn how to realx ...

About four years Bao. Yeah I know this takes time... I suppose at least I can tell I'm not relaxed which is something :)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:44 am

Now this thread is slowly getting somewhere. Thanks you few young brave padawans for sharing! :D

You know, it's not only about finding out how many or who who are willing to share. I think it can be very rewarding for beginners/Immidiate to hear senior CMA artists sharing their own problems or mistakes they did on the road.

Sometimes as a beginner, you really don't know if you are on the right track with your practice. It's a little bit like that 11 year old kid finding out that his wiener is slightly bent to the right when it gets hard:
"Is this normal?", "Will I be able to use it?"

When you speak with other people, sharing your experience or reading about others, you will find out that most things that you find strange or new is a part of the maturity process. :)

Well anyway, just remember that sharing is caring! :-*
Last edited by Bao on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:20 pm

Bao wrote: It's a little bit like that 11 year old kid finding out that his wiener is slightly bent to the right when it gets hard:
"Is this normal?", "Will I be able to use it?"

Are you projecting? Don't worry son just use your left hand when you wank it will balance it out! ;D
AllanF

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Lol, good call. didn't see that coming. ;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:36 am

Hah. Yeah. Good thread.

A professional always learns from his or her mistakes. Blaming oneself for failures is much less useful than taking a look at them and asking: "Ok, what can I learn from this?" It´s a good mindset to slowly put into one´s training. Well, at least I need it, to counterbalance my hunger for skill. :)

Bhassler reads true: I would need more bladework.

I would need more partner-work in the free work/power application/change-sector.

I am stuck in a few places in my connective tissue that means I a) can´t really connect up to my hands as much as I´d like to, and b) can´t really shift and change as smoothly as I´d like due to same internally in my body.

...ummm...and, oh, yeah, John´s comment: all the rest of what I do probably sucks as well. Thank god I´ll have things to work on come retirement. ;D

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work
Last edited by Daniel on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby David Boxen on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:16 am

I'm not good at anything. Not much more to say than that.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby mrtoes on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:14 am

We need a balance, be too cocky/self-assured and I think we lack the awareness necessary to make progress and the openness to accept new ideas or information. There again if you are really good I guess you can get away with it! On the other hand being too self critical and you lack a stable platform to build upon. You need to believe in what you're doing, and where you're going. This is just as important imho.

I don't see much point in bleating about the qualities that I'm better at (like anyone I am better at some things than others) as I frankly I don't think it accomplishes much. And anyone with a good teacher should be automatically humbled really - all my teachers have astounded me in some way and that constant reference point always the quality of my practice into perspective. Being thrown effortlessly across the room is a pretty good ego check :)
mrtoes
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan