Flipping training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Flipping training

Postby BonesCom on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 pm

So I was just checking out a video from a (I think) quite respected school and they were training flips (forward somersault), I'm pretty sure I know the answer I'm going to get but, do you think you would ever need to train flips? Why would you unless you were going into some sort of "XMA" forms contest? Do you think they are superfluous flowery-ness for the sake of the McDojo crowd. Personally I'd leave a school if they were teaches their students to flip. What say yous fellas?
BonesCom
Huajing

Re: Flipping training

Postby shock and awe on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Some people especially kids like doing flips. Succeeding at developing an ability is a good motivator to learn more. What's wrong with people learning the ability? If the only thing they were teaching was flips i would probably leave a school too. It's fairly unnecessary but there are other things that are as well. I guess it's all in what you feel like doing and what you feel like making work.
shock and awe

Postby BonesCom on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:57 pm

Yeah I guess, but if you like flips go to gymnastics. I guess I take exception to "modern wushu" it seems like they are neither overly good gymnasts or martial artists. Distinction I like, homogenisation not so much
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby shock and awe on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:40 am

or if your teacher just happens to know some wushu and you're interested you can learn.. It's not the same but some teachers will teach medicine or some will teach a bit of a random style they learned to those interested. It's like seated meditation, you need that for fighting???
shock and awe

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:26 am

They're cool, great for balance and require good athletic skill. They may not be necessary but they won't hurt and may help from a conditioning stand point.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby JusticeZero on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:24 am

Flips? I don't do them or teach them.
...What? Why is everyone looking at me funny? =)
"Freedom is the ability to move in any direction you choose." - Mestre No
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby Brady on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:06 am

Properly trained rolls and flips are very helpful for throw finishing technique
Brady
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:01 pm

seems like it'd be great fun to learn. why would anyone not want to learn them? even if you'd never use them for something ma related (not including performance art or whatever xma is)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:58 pm

Brady wrote:Properly trained rolls and flips are very helpful for throw finishing technique

Also the whole body extension applied to the final part of a forward flip is a good starting point to learning and training expansion.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby JusticeZero on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:28 am

Seems a bit ballistic; I teach lots of things that have similar extension and such that aren't hypercommitted like that.
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby xXZetaBrownXx on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:10 pm

In my personal experience at Master Li Tai Liang's school and Master Yang Fansheng's school in Taigu. Flip training is part of the basic jibengong (how ever you spell it) for martial training. Its a great way for the kids to work on their flexibility, strength, and have fun too.
Than as they get older the begin their more internal xingyi training.

Last edited by xXZetaBrownXx on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xXZetaBrownXx
Santi

Postby BonesCom on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:19 pm

The way I see it my time is better invested elsewhere (in saying that I could probably bust out a flip from my trampolining days :) )
In terms of kids: most would be bored crapless learning what we do, which is fair enough. Never thought about it in terms of throwing training. I guess it all seems a little too "wushu" for me, personal predjudice I guess, carry on
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby JusticeZero on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Hm, well, there is the Cintura Desprezada - those are a tumbling routine in a different line specifically to teach isolating the hips from the rest of the torso. We do different things for the same attribute though.
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby edededed on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:57 pm

Some CMA styles include tumbling in their repertoire (various monkey styles, drunken styles, longfist styles, etc.); often this includes methods different from those of gymnastics, like diving into the ground, spinning up from the ground, etc.

In general, IMA does not have this kind of thing or does not emphasize it, though.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:17 am

flips, cart wheels, rolling- all train rotating on your 'center of gravity' on different poles running through the center. its better to start at a young age for this. this is why it is good to take toddlers to tumbling class so they can be agile later in life.
neijia_boxer

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan