San shou: kick catch- a question?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

San shou: kick catch- a question?

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:09 am

Kick catches- i cant visualize this 'drip pan' catch he is talking about. scooping hook is common.

A san shou guy was saying-

"There are a wide variety of catches and hooks which can be used against kicks. The two most common are the "drip pan" catch against the round kick and the scooping hook against the front kick. Both require a certain degree of courage to execute. However, the advantages of a successful execution are many. Kick catches set up throws, counter strikes, counter low kicks and knee strikes.

The popularity of the round kick in most kickboxing styles makes the "drip pan" catch one of the most important. The "drip pan" involves blocking the round kick with the forearm and catching it by reaching under the block with the other arm. The slight deflection is then accompanied immediately by an overhooking of the foot. The foot will be tightly secured under the arm. The "drip pan" catch is generally followed by a throw or a cross. "
neijia_boxer

Re: San shou: kick catch- a question?

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 am

Ok I think i get it. The drip pan has 3 steps.

1. Block the kick. Think of holding your arm tight to your body so the kick hits your arm instead of your ribs. Think of your arm as being bent in a V shape with the elbow pointing down. The kick should land across your forearm and upper arm so your elbow would be below the leg and your hand above the leg.

2. With your opposite hand your reach across your body and under the kicking leg to catch it and hold it up.

3. With the same arm you blocked with you wrap the leg, your hand will go over the leg and around the outside and turn in back to your chest.

Sounds good but I don't like using 2 hands to catch the kick.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:20 am

sorry, slightly offtopic, not the drip pan but I like how he makes the kick slide up right to his arm by angling his thigh:
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:26 am

this clip has some two handed kick catches that might be 'drip pan'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Xy579B5eA
neijia_boxer

Postby MasterKiller on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 am

A) Use your left forearm to block the roundkick to the ribs.

B) While the leg is still in contact with your forearm, scoop their heel with your right hand.

C) Pull their leg across your body and overhook the ankle with your right arm.

From there, you have several options.
He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher--Walt Whitman.
MasterKiller
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan