Wong Kit Kiew

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Wong Kit Kiew

Postby Waterway on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:07 pm

I don't know if there has been a thread about this guy before, so here goes. I decided to put it up on the forum as there is some pretty mixed opinion about the guy.

I read one of his books a few years ago. It seemed to be a decent introduction in to Chinese Martial Arts and Shaolin Arts in particular. That said, it was one of the first things I read on CMA!

Since then I have done some more research. I lent the book to my Taiji teacher, he was a bit non-plussed by it.

I also watched WKK on a TV show here in Ireland talking about/demonstrating Qi Gong. It seemed a little bit hocus pocus to me.

I have also since read that WKK claims his Qi methods can cure terminal diseases. I haven't read any of this directly from the man himself, but there are many sources out there attributing the claims to him.

I have seen some of his Hung Gar/Wuzu Quan forms on youtube, and they don't look terrible IMO.

Does anyone have any actual experience with the guy? As mentioned above, there is a lot of mixed opinion about him. Anyone any thoughts?
Waterway
Anjing

Re: Wong Kit Kiew

Postby chud on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:00 pm

His online discussion forum is pretty weird, and various threads from it have been discussed (chuckled over) here. ;D What was that one about the magical stone or something? ::)
chud
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:50 pm

His Kung Fu seems decent and I enjoyed a couple of his books on the subject many years ago, but he also gets kinda way-out "airy fairy" when it comes to Chi Gung, so I'd say he's sort of a mixed bag...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:54 pm

I have one of his books. It was interesting, but nothing really special IMO.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby klonk on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:08 pm

One way to evaluate someone who is expert in a thousand things is to look very closely into what he has said, about one topic you know well. You can evaluate his knowledge of the other 999 by what you hear.

You may further ask, how long did it take you to know one thing well?
Last edited by klonk on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:07 pm

I also have a couple of his books indeed it his was the first book on taijiquan i ever bought.
That said i know know i little more than i did 5/6 years ago in regard to taiji and having seen clips of him and his students doing his own version of taiji i personally think that, as a taijiquan master he is good at shaolin! I'll leave it there!
AllanF

Postby WongYing on Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:20 am

Klonk hit it right on the head - Spot on
WongYing
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan