Pickpocketing magic and push hands (apparently related)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Pickpocketing magic and push hands (apparently related)

Postby ShortFormMike on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:45 pm

I was listening to NPR the other day and they had this pick-pocket magician. he would rob people blind while doing basic magic tricks in front of them and then at the end show them the damage.

he made an interesting point. he said that if he moved his hands in an exceedingly fast manner, people would always catch him. but if he moved it at a slower speed he always got away with it. also, using just finger tips did not matter, he liked to stick his whole hand in their pockets and do inventories. he said it only required "grift sense" (probably his version of tingjin or whatever :p).

[later they had some neuroscientists explain this and how moving in slow arcs is even more effective. something to do with how our brain can't help from analyzing those type of movements etc].

a couple days before that during my private lesson my teacher said that it's very difficult to knock people down with the softness when your hands are moving like the roadrunner. he said if you look at videos of ma yue liang and cheng man ch'ing (his teacher), you can see that is case.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Re: Pickpocketing magic and push hands (apparently related)

Postby klonk on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:31 pm

I seldom listen to NPR. Reasons may occur to you if you listen more. Anyhow, one approach I like, to noticing a hand in your pocket, is to keep it there, then locate the associated elbow, two of the three points of contact Mr. Wang is so fond of analyzing. You might also step on his foot. Wait, are we up to three yet? :)

I can't imagine anyone being that vacuously unaware of a hand in his pelvic area, but then, I don't believe most of what I hear on NPR.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby ShortFormMike on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Yea stick w/ foxnews or the drudgereport for more accurate reporting. anyway, this guy makes a living at what he does and he said it takes "years and years" to develop his skill. does that sound like anything familiar?
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:47 pm

thats why i keep my wallet in my front pocket. More easily protected.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Nick C on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:26 pm

wow - seems to be a couple of posts have reminded me of Derren Brown recently. This one reminds me of the following clip:

Distracting with magic tricks would be similar. And I actually do think there is a relevance to push hands (and more of a stretch - combat) in these things, which again relate to NLP and the conscious vs subconscious mind. Specifically around the act of creating a pattern break, which confuses the conscious and then allows you to talk to the 'subconsious' (used in the Russian Scam' videos also by Derren and on youtube).

It may have a similar effect in combat, establishing and then breaking a rhythm- creating shock (loud shout, stomp or bang) or distraction, which makes the conscious (slower) mind divert attention away from everything else to consider the unexpected behaviour, and then being able to use that momentary freeze to do what you want to do. - bit of a stretch...
Nick C
Anjing

Postby klonk on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:53 pm

ShortFormMike wrote:Yea stick w/ foxnews or the drudgereport for more accurate reporting. anyway, this guy makes a living at what he does and he said it takes "years and years" to develop his skill. does that sound like anything familiar?

If his forte is picking pockets, why isn't he a congressman?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:49 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:thats why i keep my wallet in my front pocket. More easily protected.

It is also more fun for you if someone tries to inventory your pocket. ;D
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:55 am

There are indeed ways of moving that "come in under the radar" if you will :)
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby ShortFormMike on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:06 pm

I am... wrote:There are indeed ways of moving that "come in under the radar" if you will :)

"under the radar". lol. that is the exact term my teacher uses repeatedly. i stand in front of him sometimes and i just can't get it together.
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan