Lin Chao Zhen's "Ba Gua Zhang, Dragon Form"?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Lin Chao Zhen's "Ba Gua Zhang, Dragon Form"?

Postby ParryPerson on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Anyone know where I could possibly get this? I'm guessing it's only in chinese, which is fine, my google-fu is weak and I can't locate it, it was made in 1991 I believe?
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Re: Lin Chao Zhen's "Ba Gua Zhang, Dragon Form"?

Postby maoshan on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:55 pm

I Might be able to help you.
Give me a PM.

Peace
maoshan
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:30 am

Lin's son is working on a new edition of "Dragon Ba Gua" in English that will have more information than the original. It preserves some interesting details about Fu style Ba Gua.
Look out for it in Spring 2010.

Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby maoshan on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:24 am

Are you talking about Wai Ran Lin?
maoshan
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi Maoshan,

Yes. Should be a cool book.

Do you know the Dragon Ba Gua set? It looks awesome.

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:15 am

That should be really interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it :)
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Fubo on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:40 am

JessOBrien wrote:Lin's son is working on a new edition of "Dragon Ba Gua" in English that will have more information than the original. It preserves some interesting details about Fu style Ba Gua.
Look out for it in Spring 2010.

Jess O

Great, as an avid practitioner of Fu style bagua I'm always excited to see new material about the art, especially since there is so little written about it in english (other then some brief historical information on some web-sites). I have 1 book on Fu Bagua in Chinese written by Sun Bo Gong, but my Chinese reading is very rusty.

Please let us know where it will be available for purchase when it comes out, thanks.

Craig
Fubo
Wuji

Postby velalavela on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:22 pm

I don't know much about Fu Style Bagua other than a Hong Kong Master, Kenneth Liu was living here in New Zealand and doing some teaching through New Zealand Chin Woo.
He did some demos that I saw and I went to a few workshops. Unfortunately for us here he's back in Hong Kong and back teaching at Hong Kong Chin Woo.

He's the last person in this clip (sorry about the quaility as it is shot from to far a distance) If you want to see what his Fu style is like, have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JhNQ7QvshQ
Last edited by velalavela on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
velalavela
Anjing

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:00 pm

velalavela wrote:I don't know much about Fu Style Bagua other than a Hong Kong Master, Kenneth Liu was living here in New Zealand and doing some teaching through New Zealand Chin Woo.
He did some demos that I saw and I went to a few workshops. Unfortunately for us here he's back in Hong Kong and back teaching at Hong Kong Chin Woo.

He's the last person in this clip (sorry about the quaility as it is shot from to far a distance) If you want to see what his Fu style is like, have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JhNQ7QvshQ

Thank you for this!
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby maoshan on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:17 pm

JessOBrien wrote:Hi Maoshan,

Yes. Should be a cool book.

Do you know the Dragon Ba Gua set? It looks awesome.

-Jess O

Peace,

Yes, I do. There's a clip of me doing the 1st half of the set. It used to be on youtube. If I still have it I'll repost it with the link.

Peace.
maoshan
Great Old One

Postby maoshan on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Peace

As promised, here's the clip.

maoshan
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Excellent! Cool to see all the Fu style spinning techniques in there. Very unique martial art.

Thanks for posting that.

Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Maoshan - Quick question, not sure if you could answer it or not but it's worth a go. You mentioned how Fu once defended his whole village single handed, and it lead me to reading a bit about him. One source stated he did it with a metal pole, and that makes more sense than fighting off 50-100 guys with just his hands (who I'm sure were armed in some way).

So how does Fu style work with weapons in regards to the whole spinning in place type action you perform in the form you presented above. I know it's been said a weapon should often go beyond style boundaries or what have you, but I'd find it interesting to hear about how weapon work is trained in the Fu style specifically. Any info would be appreciated, and thanks for sharing the video. It's cool to see something part from the norm yet not look outrageous.
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Thanks for the video, Moshan.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:45 pm

Joe L. wrote:Maoshan - Quick question, not sure if you could answer it or not but it's worth a go. You mentioned how Fu once defended his whole village single handed, and it lead me to reading a bit about him. One source stated he did it with a metal pole, and that makes more sense than fighting off 50-100 guys with just his hands (who I'm sure were armed in some way).

So how does Fu style work with weapons in regards to the whole spinning in place type action you perform in the form you presented above. I know it's been said a weapon should often go beyond style boundaries or what have you, but I'd find it interesting to hear about how weapon work is trained in the Fu style specifically. Any info would be appreciated, and thanks for sharing the video. It's cool to see something part from the norm yet not look outrageous.

I haven't heard that story before, but I was told that Fu loved to use the spear.
Fubo
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan