Lin Chao Zhen's "Ba Gua Zhang, Dragon Form"?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Lin Chao Zhen's "Ba Gua Zhang, Dragon Form"?

Postby velalavela on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Like I say in my earlier post I don't know much about Fu Style Bagua. I had some introduction to the style from Kenneth Liu who teaches at Chinwoo in Hong Kong. He was a student of General Sun Paul Kung.

Check out the folowing web sites for info on Fu Style and Fu Chen Sung's Pa Kua Chang (unless you already have)

Quite a good Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu_Chen_Sung

Quite a good looking school in the US http://www.leeskungfu.com/Pa_Kua.htm
velalavela
Anjing

Postby maoshan on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:24 pm

Joe L. wrote:Maoshan - Quick question, not sure if you could answer it or not but it's worth a go. You mentioned how Fu once defended his whole village single handed, and it lead me to reading a bit about him. One source stated he did it with a metal pole, and that makes more sense than fighting off 50-100 guys with just his hands (who I'm sure were armed in some way).

So how does Fu style work with weapons in regards to the whole spinning in place type action you perform in the form you presented above. I know it's been said a weapon should often go beyond style boundaries or what have you, but I'd find it interesting to hear about how weapon work is trained in the Fu style specifically. Any info would be appreciated, and thanks for sharing the video. It's cool to see something part from the norm yet not look outrageous.

Peace,

It was a metal pole.
And as far as weapons go and the spinning perspective,Ba Gua specialty weapons tend to be curved,(Deerhorn,Sun & Moon,Da Dao, Tiger hook, Fire wheel, Chicken Hook etc...,(All Knives) Take the Ba Gua Da Dao, we don't "Chop and Hack" by swinging the blade, per say, We control the blade by following it with the steps. The spinning in place allows us to become a human propeller; in particular when you add another Da Dao into the equation or the Deerhorns or any of the twin weapons.

My Knowledge of Fu weapons is limited, But it's generally the same across the board, All weapons are an extension of the hand, but it's your understanding of the principles that really matters in the end.

I Learned Fu's "4 Face Spear" and the "Whirlwind Broadsword". Everything was various aspects of the circle from big to small,
outside in to inside out.
And by the way,
(I haven't heard that story before, but I was told that Fu loved to use the spear.)

This is true, it was his weapon of choice, but his Da Dao was no joke either.
Damn, gotta go.

Peace.
Last edited by maoshan on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maoshan
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks for the info Maoshan, all in all that makes a lot of sense.
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Fri May 01, 2009 12:07 am

velalavela wrote:Quite a good looking school in the US http://www.leeskungfu.com/Pa_Kua.htm

I agree ;)

Thanks for that maoshan!
Last edited by ParryPerson on Fri May 01, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Iron Apprentice on Mon May 04, 2009 11:07 pm

maoshan wrote:Peace

As promised, here's the clip.

Well done! I relate to and appreciate the intelligence in your approach. Good Fu style clips are a rare treat glad you re-posted this clip. Respex.
Last edited by Iron Apprentice on Mon May 04, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
better known as DAi-BoXeR
Sudan Jeffers
CLUB XINYIDAO - Head Coach
http://www.Myspace.com/ClubXYD
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Iron Apprentice
Santi

Postby kwong on Sat May 09, 2009 6:47 am

For Lin chaozhen's book PDF
i got a chinese website link

http://www.qupan.com/down/WLQD_2575756.html

click this one

After that it will jump up another page

if you have "flashget"click the third one Image

if you don't have just click the fouth one Image
kwong
Santi

Postby kwong on Sat May 09, 2009 6:51 am

kwong
Santi

Postby kwong on Sat May 09, 2009 7:42 am

Joe L. wrote:Maoshan - Quick question, not sure if you could answer it or not but it's worth a go. You mentioned how Fu once defended his whole village single handed, and it lead me to reading a bit about him. One source stated he did it with a metal pole, and that makes more sense than fighting off 50-100 guys with just his hands (who I'm sure were armed in some way).

So how does Fu style work with weapons in regards to the whole spinning in place type action you perform in the form you presented above. I know it's been said a weapon should often go beyond style boundaries or what have you, but I'd find it interesting to hear about how weapon work is trained in the Fu style specifically. Any info would be appreciated, and thanks for sharing the video. It's cool to see something part from the norm yet not look outrageous.

The original story is that he and his neighbours about 30 people defensed a group of robbers. He was using a metal spear for fighting and killed the leader of the group in the fight. That why he had to leave his village after the incident.

There are some Spinning movement in Fu's weapon form such as Dao, sword, staff and spear.
Fu zhen song taught 4 spear forms to his student but all of them do not have too much spinning movement. This is because the spinning movement is not mainly using for fighting and spear is not good for spinning. ;D practice method is not the way how they work.
Last edited by kwong on Sat May 09, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwong
Santi

Postby ParryPerson on Sat May 09, 2009 11:44 am

kwong wrote:For Lin chaozhen's book PDF
i got a chinese website link

http://www.qupan.com/down/WLQD_2575756.html

click this one

After that it will jump up another page

if you have "flashget"click the third one Image

if you don't have just click the fouth one Image

What can I use to read this PDF? My acrobat doesn't seem to like it!
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby kwong on Sat May 09, 2009 5:17 pm

i think this is caused by the file name. You only need to rename it to some english word.
kwong
Santi

Postby ParryPerson on Sun May 10, 2009 12:18 am

kwong wrote:i think this is caused by the file name. You only need to rename it to some english word.

Thank you!
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby steel on Sun May 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Is there any video of Lin Chao Zhen doing the complete Dragon Form? I have only seen apartial clip on youtube.
Steel
steel
Santi

Postby kwong on Mon May 18, 2009 4:09 am

steel wrote:Is there any video of Lin Chao Zhen doing the complete Dragon Form? I have only seen apartial clip on youtube.
Steel

I don't think his complete form was uploaded on the internet. If you are so interested, i think you can contact his son to buy his video tape.
Last edited by kwong on Mon May 18, 2009 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwong
Santi

Postby JessOBrien on Mon May 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Lin Chao Zhen's son still sells the tapes, and the new edition of the book will have a website to purchase them on DVD, I believe.

Has anyone been able to download the PDF of the Chinese version? I can't seem to get it to download... Could you help hook me up?

Thanks,
Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Mon May 18, 2009 11:32 pm

JessOBrien wrote:Lin Chao Zhen's son still sells the tapes, and the new edition of the book will have a website to purchase them on DVD, I believe.

Has anyone been able to download the PDF of the Chinese version? I can't seem to get it to download... Could you help hook me up?

Thanks,
Jess O

I just clicked the link and clicked the green down arrow and got the download prompt.
ParryPerson
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan