improvised weighted exercise for bridging

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

improvised weighted exercise for bridging

Postby everything on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 pm

I don't have a throwing dummy or something like that. I'd like to improvise some kind of weighted resistance for groundwork - just bridging and shrimping. Can't roll often so would like to build some basic strength on my own. Any ideas that don't require much (or any) expenses?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: improvised weighted exercise for bridging

Postby BruceP on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Get a beach towel and lay it flat across your midsection. Have someone stand on each end of the towel so they're starddling you (nice and tight) and then work your bridging and posting. If you have a heavy bag, you can strap it tight to your body and practice all kinds of mobility exercises.

Lay with the top of your head against a wall and work to a sitting position while hugging your heavy bag. You can do the same exercise with your hands in your pockets.

Anything that targets your core for bridging strength is good.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:11 am

tie a belt with KB / or better something lighter at first/around head
lift it by neck movment in all directions when in horse r. positon

do bridge on head /support it by hands on beggining/and try to touch the flor by tip of you nose /do let say 10 rep./
repeated this move diagonally ,
turn around - keep the head all the time on the ground
jump over...
and rep.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:30 am

Linking these types of ground exercises is always good too.

Do an actual bridge where you turn over, bear crawl, do a forward roll, sit out, shrimp forward, shrimp backward, you get the idea, just use your imagination.

This one of many good resources.

Btw, with neck bridges start with just a few and slowly add on more over the months you wouldn't want to overdue those. Also be sure to work all directions, do them facing up and facing down. It's okay use your hands for support especially in the beginning, even later down the line you probably don't want to do too many. I do them everyday but not for very long, those little cervical vertabrae weren't designed for lots of pressure.
Last edited by CaliG on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Postby everything on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:44 am

thanks a lot. I should clarify I'm not looking for strengthening my neck for neck bridges (though now that you tell me those, I think I'll add 'em). just very basic bridging, shrimping, sweeping, etc., with some explosiveness in limited space when already gassed. anaerobic conditioning but only for some ground moves. i'll start doing the various movement drills again, too. been away from them for quite a while. conditioning now = fail. want to build that up some as quickly as possible on a solo basis, so when I do get to roll, I can mostly just learn. then leave some gas in the tank for randori. that towel drill sounds perfect though my wife and kids are going to think it's nuts and may not oblige, lol ...
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan