Zhan Zhuang - How Long?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Zhan Zhuang - How Long?

Postby redmund2905 on Tue May 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Fubo wrote:Daniel,

My name and MA bio are in the intro page... a simple search will satisfy your requirement.

Like John said, 700 pages is a lot to civ through. I'm interested in a particular statement you made. Like I mentioned the first time I asked this question, I'm half Chinese and half western... grow up in China, Hong Kong, and have spent plenty of years living in the UK and the US. So, I'm particularly interested in what you mean by different "body" and "energy-systems" of Chinese people compared to western people.

Just like John mentioned... my teachers also taught me (a mixed race person), Chinese students, and western students the same way.

Craig

[Channeling Shawn Segler] Cracks open a beer, kicks up feet . . . and waits.

[Apologies if the channeling misses Shawn's flavor ;) ]
redmund2905
Mingjing

Postby qiphlow on Tue May 12, 2009 8:53 pm

i'm amazed that all the zhan zhuang threads end up the same way, every time.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Tue May 12, 2009 9:01 pm

Not every time.... At least we had a little twist with some Zhou in it ;)

One other thing that came to mind the other day.......

Chinese say you must eat bitter to taste sweet.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Tue May 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Hey, I was just curious... I didn't see any harm in asking.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 pm

qiphlow wrote:i'm amazed that all the zhan zhuang threads end up the same way, every time.

Every thread in this form could end up the same way - Royce would choke you guys out.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue May 12, 2009 11:19 pm

:D
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Wed May 13, 2009 12:10 am

cerebus wrote:To suffer, or not to suffer? That is the question... (or one of the questions, anyway).

I wish I could help give a clear answer Troy. I don't really consider myself qualified to answer this one, but I can tell you my own experience.

I reached a point where I could stand for hours a day and although I progressed things got really weird.

Looking back I don't think it was a healthy time in my life. I got through it but I can imagine how some people go over the edge.

My advice to anyone who just wants to go for it is to have a qualified teacher you meet with a few times a week if you're going to attempt this. I wouldn't try anything like I was doing again without having my teacher close by.

Anyone can feel free to PM me for more details.
Last edited by CaliG on Wed May 13, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby Fubo on Wed May 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Daniel,

I've posted my full bio here more than once when this was still EF, but I'll do it again since you won't discuss without it.

Chinese name: Yu Yunfeng, English: Craig. I spent years in a small private group class training Taijiquan, ZZ etc... with Ip Tai Tak up to his passing, who was the 1st disciple of Yang Shou Zhong, Yang Chen Fu's eldest son. I've also spent years training with Ip Tai Tak 1st disciple, and some of Yang Shou Zhong's other students. I've spent years training Baguazhang ZZ etc... with Lee Siu Wun and Lee Hao Chun who are in the Fu Zhensong line under one of Fu's main disciples Sun Bo Gong. I've trained with other teachers in the Fu style arts that visited my teachers. I've trained for a few years with different Systema teachers, seminars with Vlad. V. and Sergei Ozhereliev. Trained Xingyiquan for a while with Ricky Tong, a Heibei stylist that fought full contact in Hong Kong and was a military H2H instructor. Judo and BJJ for a few years under with a large group of international champions... who I still train with. I have had other TJQ teachers who I've trained with for shorter periods of time that were also top notch. I continue to train, spar and compete (when I have the time).

That's my basic "bio", now back to the questions...
Fubo
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed May 13, 2009 6:05 pm

cerebus wrote:To suffer, or not to suffer? That is the question... (or one of the questions, anyway).

CMA training suppose to be fun. If it's not fun then there is a great chance that you will quit some day. I prefer "not to suffer".
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Wed May 13, 2009 6:08 pm

johnwang wrote:
qiphlow wrote:i'm amazed that all the zhan zhuang threads end up the same way, every time.

Every thread in this form could end up the same way - Royce would choke you guys out.

You have to hang out with John Wang to get this line fully. I spit my drink out of my nose.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed May 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Royce on roids, no can defend.
Chris Fleming

Postby bailewen on Wed May 13, 2009 6:30 pm

David Boxen wrote:I think what you are talking about is usually referred to as meat floss.

I thought he was talking about one of these: meat floss
Last edited by bailewen on Wed May 13, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed May 13, 2009 6:32 pm

It only takes one "MMA lover" and one "MMA hater" to drag any thread all the way down to hell. Have you ever noticed that whenever you have just provide some information that no one can find any fault in it, you may just kill that thread for good. On the other hand, the moment that you get into any sensitive TCMA vs. MMA discussion, that thread will keep going forever.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed May 13, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu May 14, 2009 2:00 am

I'm disappointed Daniel-san hasn't answered this one.

No can defend?
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu May 14, 2009 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Thu May 14, 2009 2:33 am

Daniel wrote: I think it´s also important to look at how standing is taught to westerners rather than chinese, as the body-types and energy-systems between the both are very different.

I have a friend who has Chinese father, English mother, so where would he fit in? Where is the dividing line? Is a "westerner" anyone outside China or does a Vietnamese have the same energy-system as Chinese? Does everyone in China have the same energy-system? Is it superior energy-system to , say, a Nordic one?
How about Eskimoes, where do they fit in?
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan