Zhan Zhuang - How Long?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Zhan Zhuang - How Long?

Postby lazyboxer on Thu May 14, 2009 3:19 am

johnwang wrote:
qiphlow wrote:i'm amazed that all the zhan zhuang threads end up the same way, every time.

It only takes one "MMA lover" and one "MMA hater" to drag any thread all the way down to hell. Have you ever noticed that whenever you have just provide some information that no one can find any fault in it, you may just kill that thread for good. On the other hand, the moment that you get into any sensitive TCMA vs. MMA discussion, that thread will keep going forever.

How true
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby jjy5016 on Thu May 14, 2009 10:06 am

GrahamB wrote:I'm disappointed Daniel-san hasn't answered this one.

No can defend?

Perhaps he's having trouble finding it in the 700 pages.....
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu May 14, 2009 10:52 am

what it boils down to is this: everyone who stands does it for different reasons, in different postures, and for different lengths of time. i think we can all agree that it produces results, which vary according to who's doing the standing. it's kind of pointless to ask something like the original poster's question, because there isn't (as we have seen over and over again) any one answer that can be agreed upon by the entirety of zhan zhuang teachers/practitioners.

that said, i appreciate the fact that those with much more zz experience than myself take the time to answer the questions that come up about the subject, because i've asked some questions about it in the past and have gotten some great answers.

i just don't understand why the discussions invariably get way more snarky than they should when it comes to this subject.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Thu May 14, 2009 10:54 am

RobP2 wrote:
Daniel wrote: I think it´s also important to look at how standing is taught to westerners rather than chinese, as the body-types and energy-systems between the both are very different.

I have a friend who has Chinese father, English mother, so where would he fit in? Where is the dividing line? Is a "westerner" anyone outside China or does a Vietnamese have the same energy-system as Chinese? Does everyone in China have the same energy-system? Is it superior energy-system to , say, a Nordic one?
How about Eskimoes, where do they fit in?

I'm also curious about this one, as I'm another Chinese/British person.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby jjy5016 on Thu May 14, 2009 11:03 am

qiphlow wrote:i just don't understand why the discussions invariably get way more snarky than they should when it comes to this subject.

Because everyone wants to be an expert and no one wants to learn something new.

( That we are from all over this small planet of ours, speak different languages, come from different cultures, etc. might have a hand in it as well)
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 am

jjy5016 wrote:
qiphlow wrote:i just don't understand why the discussions invariably get way more snarky than they should when it comes to this subject.

Because everyone wants to be an expert and no one wants to learn something new.

( That we are from all over this small planet of ours, speak different languages, come from different cultures, etc. might have a hand in it as well)

i think you might be right, there.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu May 14, 2009 12:04 pm

jjy5016 wrote:Because everyone wants to be an expert and no one wants to learn something new.

A: Why do you always try to make yourself feel smart?
B: Because it won't be fun to make myself look like a fool on the intenet.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 am

I really don't understand this thing about using teh internet as an extension of the ego. I'm quite happy to plead ignorance and try to learn perspective from what other people do, that's the real value of this board I think. I mean we're not 15 any more - are we?? ;)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Fri May 15, 2009 10:42 am

The dynamics of the internet forum, MA discussion, esoteric and traditional practices, affiliations to different organizations creates a perfect situation for breeding disagreements, which creates opportunity for the ego to enter... but also interesting discussion can get sparked. Of course this is not just MA forums.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Fri May 15, 2009 10:43 am

johnwang wrote:A: Why do you always try to make yourself feel smart?
B: Because it won't be fun to make myself look like a fool on the intenet.

I always feel foolish when I let my ego get the better of me.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri May 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Fubo wrote:I always feel foolish when I let my ego get the better of me.

It's difficult not to get any ego involved sometime. I have experienced a discussion in another forum (after my retirement, I have nothing else to do) as the following.

A: What striking art will your guy suggest?
B: I suggest kickboxing.
C: I suggest Karate.
D: Nobody have mentioned CMA yet. If you want to train speed, you may try Prey Mantis, Zimen. If you want to train power, you may try Baiji, XYLH, Chen Taiji (I'll give this advice to the next 10,000 people exactly the same way).
E: I'm gonna assume this is some sick joke.
D: Why?
E: You want someone to take cma for self defense??? You trying to get people hurt?? You want to live in your own ignorant world thats fine, but draw the line at getting people injured with you bad advice.

What will be your next response?

D: I assume you don't know CMA. As far as I know CMA are ... (your ego start to get involve here).

or:

D: I'm sorry that I give bad advice. I'm ignorant, and trying to get people hurt. ... (It's about time to get a rope, find a quite place, and hang yourself). ;D

It only takes one person like this guy to force you to lose temper and get your "ego" evolved. Do you want to? No. Do you have choice? Unless you don't care about people trashing CMA.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 15, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 16 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri May 15, 2009 7:09 pm

Back to the subject. How long can you hold ZZ like this? Can you feel comfortable, effortless, not laboring through your training time? After 30 years of training on this ZZ, I still feel:

- uncomfortable, and
- laboring.

I must have done something terrible wrong all my life.

Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 15, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Fri May 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Who said this?

E: I'm gonna assume this is some sick joke.
D: Why?
E: You want someone to take cma for self defense??? You trying to get people hurt?? You want to live in your own ignorant world thats fine, but draw the line at getting people injured with you bad advice.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri May 15, 2009 8:52 pm

shawnsegler wrote:Who said this?

Some CMA hater on the Judo forum and that's for sure. He asks me to give some CMA fighter's name who entered UFC or K-1. I don't know how far this will go, right now I decide to ignore him.

It's very easy to find yourself in a "helpless" situation if you involve with any internet discussion. This is why when David C. K. Lin asked me, "If someone said that you are full of shit on internet then what can you do about?" David was absolute right on this. There is nothing that I can do to defend the honor of the CMA in a Japanese Judo forum without getting emotional.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 15, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby lazyboxer on Sat May 16, 2009 2:13 am

johnwang wrote:
shawnsegler wrote:Who said this?

Some CMA hater on the Judo forum and that's for sure. He asks me to give some CMA fighter's name who entered UFC or K-1. I don't know how far this will go, right now I decide to ignore him.

It's very easy to find yourself in a "helpless" situation if you involve with any internet discussion. This is why when David C. K. Lin asked me, "If someone said that you are full of shit on internet then what can you do about?" David was absolute right on this. There is nothing that I can do to defend the honor of the CMA in a Japanese Judo forum without getting emotional.

The best way forward would be to appoint a proxy (a CMA Cyrano de Bergerac) to demolish the enemy's arguments ruthlessly, coldly and objectively. Once he's been reduced to a gibbering idiot by your imperturbable and unrelenting ferocity, you can gently suggest that he seeks psychiatric support...
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan