Golden gloves boxing

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Golden gloves boxing

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:01 pm

The golden gloves boxing tournament is pretty intense- it is like a week of doing matches everyday starting on Monday and finals on friday:

http://www.goldengloves.com/results/
neijia_boxer

Re: Golden gloves boxing

Postby cerebus on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Fun stuff. I fought in the Vermont State Golden Gloves back in January of '88. Great experience...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Juan on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:40 pm

You know, the more I work with our boxing coach at the gym the more I like boxing. I'd love to enter a boxing competition some day.
Juan
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:21 am

MoQ boxing is a terrific martial art.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:27 am

"MoQ"?
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:27 pm

People interested in boxing in Chicago should check out the coach at "Ultimate Fitness" in Evanston. Trained many good campions, practiced Taiji for quite a long time also, and kick 4 people's asses out side the 7-11 (they were ganging up on some college kid) down stairs from his gym. He seemed to do just fine against multiple opponents with his sport fighting.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:09 pm

See, we have something of a study in opposites here. Western boxing, which is thousands of years old, developed in the direction of stark simplicity, while Chinese boxing branched into many styles and specialties.

I too like Western boxing. Add a leg check to protect your lower bits, and I think is is good to go for self defense use.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby johnrieber on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:49 pm

had a housemate for a while when i was a kid who did the golden gloves thing, down in very south texas. he had a lot more on the ball than the karate guys i knew at the time.

19th century british bareknuckle/fight-till-you-drop boxing stances and angles look a hell of a lot like chen style in the engravings i've seen. will have to find a scanner one of these days.
johnrieber

Postby Finny on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:10 am

cerebus wrote:"MoQ"?

Marquis of Queenberry Id imagine
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:34 am

I believe there is a very healthy respect for Boxing in the real world. Not in the way the professional world has handled it...(Don King) It is a big as the pro wrestling thing.

I use to train (spar..regularly) with Ken Glegg from Montreal...Golden Gloves, Pan Am ( I think) Tai Chi dude. The man was feirce and understood the ring and what he called "The Game". But alas age and consistent head shots got the best of him. Stroke.

Boxing has an intresting forte. Trapped in a square, points, judges, ref but a brutal approach to an Onslaught. I have not seen so many fighters sit back. ( Like in the last UFC, that Dana White apologized for.) They really go the distance and that I respect. It would seem in the present MMA style fights you can catch a breather if you lie in the corner or on your back. If the the UFC could add the Passivity rule as seen in other MMA rings, I believe would clean up that behavior. 5 grand for slowly the fight...hurts when the are only getting paid $10,000 for our entertainment.

When the Fight Network first came out. I tried to watch as many of the " So you think you can fight!" Boxing rules, novices but at least the people in the ring had spirit. They wanted to be there ( often local grudge matches).
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Finny wrote:

You imagine correctly. (It Marquess in English isn't it?)

MoQ is the common ruleset to western boxing.
it (boxing) gets referred to as such (MoQ) now and again.
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:53 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
Finny wrote:

You imagine correctly. (It Marquess in English isn't it?)

MoQ is the common ruleset to western boxing.
it (boxing) gets referred to as such (MoQ) now and again.

Ah. Except that modern rules are rather different from the long outdated Marquis of Queensbury rules, but I get the point...
cerebus
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan