judo - throws to face down

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

judo - throws to face down

Postby everything on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:13 pm

i enjoy doing some judo but in the interest of "whole body" stuff, sometimes it feels more efficient to simply push your partner or opponent face down. this makes sense in other rulesets or with no rules, e.g. would be good in push hands or sumo or self defense. however, in these particular rules, you get no points for this. so some options might be:

- push down and reset
- push down as a fake to something else
- push down and initiate groundwork, more of a bjj game - who cares what the takedown is, just go for sub. if someone just does the stupid judo turtle, this is where i wish i had more bjj game so i could hand out some punishment.
- something else entirely

for a while i've just abandoned this opportunity to try other stuff but now I think that's stupid. might as well do it. what do you do or recommend? does shuai jiao have this same must-throw-to-back rule?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: judo - throws to face down

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:16 pm

no in shuai jiao comps if you push or pull your opponent down its one point, if their body comes off the ground its two points, if they flip over in the air its three points. So of someone shoots and you use downward pulling (stepping back while pulling the down and onto their face) you get one point.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Re: judo - throws to face down

Postby everything on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:25 am

hmm i like those rules better. still rewards a good throw but doesn't ignore a simple push or pull down.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan