King of Kombat

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

King of Kombat

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:36 pm

http://kingofkombat.com/

Was at the King of Kombat (an Austin TX MMA event) last night to watch the fights. Went fairly well. Of course it's no UFC but they held it down and did their best. Fights were fairly good. The announcer kept fucking up various things throughout the night. He would call the wrong fighter to make his entrance. Would say things like "three 3 min rounds" when each fight was always three 5 min rounds. And on that note, as the night wore on people were noticing that the rounds seemed longer and longer. Some of us started to time them ourselves and one round was over 7 min long. It was like they just said screw it we'll end it when it feels about right. At one point the announcer said "BBJ" rather than "BJJ" in reading the fighter's school. Hilarious.

The main event was a welter weight title fight which was very good. One fighter would be winning and then the other would reverse the momentum and start winning. Even that got strange though, as it was supposed to be a 5 rounder but it was like they forgot and went to the decision after round 3. And it ended as a draw. Kind of messed things up but it was fun to see a live MMA event.

What I take away from it just for my own learning and for RSF discussion:

1. Just keep hitting wrestlers. Well, just keep hitting anyone in a fight anyway but those who do just wrestling as their main style are still stuck in the UFC 4 era. One guy just kept his arms around the other man's waist and pushed him into the cage while he was getting hit in the face with wrap-around punches until those made him lose his grip...and the wrestler would try it again.

2. Lots of fighters train for the times of the rounds (5 min rounds) which makes perfect sense but you can't rely on that actually happening. Too much to ask the time keepers I guess.

3. Evasive footwork is paramount. Too many people stand in a fixed position.
Chris Fleming

Re: King of Kombat

Postby Chris Fleming on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:42 pm

OK so I found out that the challenger didn't make weight so it wasn't a 5 round title fight. At least that makes more sense.

That's why I like being a heavy weight. I can eat whatever the hell I want!
Chris Fleming

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan