boxing and headgear

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: boxing and headgear

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:48 am

Bottom line:

a) fighting even in a controlled environment is a risky thing

b) It is unknown how many times you can get hit in the head, once can leave you dead or brain damaged for life, repeatedly isn't any good either.

c)giving up your defense because you have a pad on your head is an error that should be trained out of people. Keep your guard up whether you have gear on or not.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby WujiRob on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:26 am

We have this thing called "recreational boxing" which doesn't allow hits to the head. Maybe that's what they're doing as well? Dunno how this affects your perspective on usefulness of sparring, though .
WujiRob
Mingjing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:33 am

? recreational boxing that doesn't allow hits to the head.

I don't think it's fair to call that boxing at all.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Well, again jmho, but headgear allow the opponent to use full force. That brings training closer to actual application, without quite the same risks. But, here's from a place that sells headgear: http://www.boxingdepot.com/headgear.html

Stay Pretty!

Headgear does not prevent concussions well. You still need to keep your hands up. You can get knocked out while wearing headgear.

Boxing headgear does protect from cuts, scrapes, reduces swelling and prevents skin damage. Headgear also does a great job of preventing cauliflower ear. Headguards with cheek protection, protect a larger area.

Personally, I didn't like headgear because they made my head a bigger target. They also cut down visibility, or at least my perception of it. However, I would never advise someone to train without headgear; I would advise him to avoid sparring with head-hunters until he can "defend himself at all times."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Waterway on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:55 am

Headguards are MANDATORY in all legal amateur boxing contests. I don't see why any gym would put a headguard on you for the first time as and when you compete! It would be a huge disadvantage.

http://www.aiba.org/pages/BoxingEquipme ... ctors.aspx

I boxed for 8 years, you always had to wear a headguard. Headguards don't offer much protection against head trauma, but they have been found to reduce bruising/bleeding in people that wear them.

I would be incredibly dubious about ANY gym that didn't use them. I have heard of "Toughguy" gyms or "Fight clubs" where people are apparently getting taught to box. Hitting with fists doesn't mean it is boxing. They are not legal boxing clubs. If you go to one, you are putting your life at risk.

The AIBA and all national associations run a very tight ship. Find your national amateur association here: http://www.aiba.org/default.aspx?pId=1296#

Ask if the coach/club is licensed. If they aren't then I know that I wouldn't go within a mile of that place.
Waterway
Anjing

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:56 am

You gloves (16 oz.) can be headgear if you keep your hands up. Its called 'covering' ..i totally recommend it.

examples: If a hook comes at your head and you fail to duck, you can put your glove over your ear like your talking on the cell phone. If a jab or cross comes at your face and you dont slip or move out of the way you can put the gloves in front of your face.

voila! excellent use of glove padding for defense.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby mrtoes on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Definitely!

As an aside, does covering work at all with MMA gloves? I'd imagine there's probably nowhere near enough padding.
mrtoes
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan