All efficient movement is similar

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: All efficient movement is similar

Postby yusuf on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:47 am

Ian..

it's a very good thread. But, taking on Graham's point, I would look at this slightly differently. Does a Lion use the same mechanics to take down a deer as a leopard does, or as a cheetah?

thanks

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:31 am

yusuf wrote:Ian..

it's a very good thread. But, taking on Graham's point, I would look at this slightly differently. Does a Lion use the same mechanics to take down a deer as a leopard does, or as a cheetah?

thanks

yusuf

Strategically, no. Mechanically, one could argue that all use their skeletons in a similar fashion to transmit force-- what differs is how they apply the power available.
Last edited by Bhassler on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:07 pm

Bhassler wrote:
yusuf wrote:Ian..

thanks

yusuf

Strategically, no. Mechanically, one could argue that all use their skeletons in a similar fashion to transmit force-- what differs is how they apply the power available.

agreed, it was a bad premise :-[
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Ian wrote:What do you think of the idea that all efficient movement is similar?

I don't mean that iliqchuan = ziranmen = systema = 'essence of evolution' = aunkai, nor do I mean that these styles don't have their respective strengths and focuses.

Rather, that if you really grasp efficient movement, you should have less trouble picking up another style (assuming said style is also based on efficient movement).

If you find that, on learning another style, you struggle with the concepts as much as you used to struggle as a complete beginner, then perhaps you don't really understand efficient movement.

Ps. I know some of you are itching to regurgitate that Bruce Lee "two arms, two legs" thing. Please restrain yourselves :)

I believe that efficient ways to use that body are based on similar principles, like the making use of the stretch/rebound capabilities of the body to produce power, relaxing enough to make use of gravity to produce momentum... I think these things are used in a lot of different styles of martial arts even if these ideas are expressed in slightly different ways. I've felt people use the stretch/rebound capabilities in Taiji, Bagua, BJJ, Judo. The people in Judo I've felt this from don't have specific drills like the Bagua solo forms which intentionally train stretch/rebound, but I've felt many of the high level people in my Judo school exhibit it because it's a very efficient way to naturally produce power.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby klonk on Fri May 01, 2009 5:36 am

I would go so far as to say any good martial art is a subset of efficient movement, with some overlap, in some cases, between one martial art and another. Beyond that I am unwilling to go, because you also see the reverse situation, a movement that is in some martial art and absent in some other.

But all of it is a quest for efficiency, for who would want to be inefficient? I think the poorer ideas tend to get beaten out of martial arts over time, simply because they tend to get you walloped.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan