Hugging the chee ball

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Hugging the chee ball

Postby I-mon on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:27 am

Han Jingyu, one of the sons of one of the Han brothers (Han Xingyuan and Han Xingqiao? both disciples of Wang Xiangzhai?) calls his way of teaching yiquan the "second course". Timo Hiekkla (?) studied with Han Jingyu for a while and now teaches in Finland, he has a website which used to have a forum (which became a haven for Mike Cherrill and then closed), i think it's yiquan-online.

Han Jingyu lives in Zhuhai just across the border from you Ian, I want to visit him next time i have to go through hongkong.

Timo used to be super snooty, constantly talking about traditional chinese martial arts being degenerate left-over scum, and set up a meaningless dichotomy between the "first and second courses" of yiquan...and then mike cherrill and others got on board.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:22 am

jjy5016 wrote:Well Redmund2905 at least he was quick to disagree.

But then again the originator of the thread doesn't seem to have had too much faith in the practice so all of these written words might be a waste of time.

I'm just so tired of people claiming to know about zhan zhuang & yiquan who could'nt even be considered beginners in said practices.

The "second course of yiquan" experts who learn "tools" to help them develop their skills in a matter of days going on to develop on their own and the video watching, internet researching, correspondence course subscribing practitioners who believe themselves experts in what yiquan and zhan zhuang practice are for really piss me off. They mislead people and are no better than the McDojo owners who claim to be imparting something valueable to their contract signing students.

So you've got me down as one of Timo's guys eh? Nice try.....I would hardly be training with the Yaos if I was - think about it. But you know I get pissed off too when people talk crap about yiquan. Usually when someone disagrees with what I say they question the points I raise in the same way I questioned you. It's what debate is about. It seemed a bit odd to me that you did not want to discuss your posts. But as quick as you could manage you steer it round to who's your teacher. Why I don't know.

While we are on the subject of teachers (and talking crap about yiquan), yours does not speak any English from what I recall. Actually neither does Yao except he knows "water", but anyway I digress. I do remember quite well on this very board you posted some more of your "wisdom" about zhan zhuang only that time it was about the correct time of day to practice zhan zhuang in relation to meridiens. Doc Stier suggested that the time of day and the specific organs and meridiens you mentioned did not go together. You then produced a "translation" by your teacher and a professor of Chinese linguistics (you said) of something Wang Xiangzhai had written to "prove" your point. As I remember it, Dacheng then pointed out that all the stuff in your translation that supposedly proved your point was not in fact in the original document. Furthermore he gave a web link where the original document in Chinese was to be found for people to compare.

You never did come back with clarification. So let me ask you now: did you make it up or was it your teacher?
Sprint
Wuji

Postby chud on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:03 am

I hate that every Zhan Zhuang thread ends up becoming a Yiquan bitch fest.
Yiquan people aren't the only ones who do standing practice.
chud
Great Old One

Postby redmund2905 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:54 am

Sprint wrote: So you've got me down as one of Timo's guys eh? Nice try.....I would hardly be training with the Yaos if I was - think about it. But you know I get pissed off too when people talk crap about yiquan. Usually when someone disagrees with what I say they question the points I raise in the same way I questioned you. It's what debate is about. It seemed a bit odd to me that you did not want to discuss your posts. But as quick as you could manage you steer it round to who's your teacher. Why I don't know.

While we are on the subject of teachers (and talking crap about yiquan), yours does not speak any English from what I recall. Actually neither does Yao except he knows "water", but anyway I digress. I do remember quite well on this very board you posted some more of your "wisdom" about zhan zhuang only that time it was about the correct time of day to practice zhan zhuang in relation to meridiens. Doc Stier suggested that the time of day and the specific organs and meridiens you mentioned did not go together. You then produced a "translation" by your teacher and a professor of Chinese linguistics (you said) of something Wang Xiangzhai had written to "prove" your point. As I remember it, Dacheng then pointed out that all the stuff in your translation that supposedly proved your point was not in fact in the original document. Furthermore he gave a web link where the original document in Chinese was to be found for people to compare.

You never did come back with clarification. So let me ask you now: did you make it up or was it your teacher?

Sprint,

I'm puzzled by your confusion as to why John (or Mike) would ask who your teacher is -- it's a perfectly legitimate basis for determining someone's frame of reference and is a fair part of your debate with John. You've indicated that you "train" with the Yaos, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have a regular, ongoing teacher-student relationship with them. Your continued reticence is odd.

In any event, that's not the reason I'm posting. I am unfamiliar with the earlier exchange with John that you refer to in your second paragraph, and quite frankly I don't care. My aim is to respond to the statement about your understanding of my teacher's English-speaking ability (nice redirect, BTW). Lau Hsing is not a native English speaker -- but he absolutely does speak English. In complete and intelligible sentences, not just the random word. And while his vocabulary is not the same as mine, I understand him quite well, and I speak no Chinese at all (at least not in complete sentences, although I do know a number of random words). Unlike others that I've met, he has no hostility to learning English; in fact, he has the enthusiasm of a student and is continaully asking us about English words he encounters but does not know. So, from at least this English-speaking student's point of view, there's no language barrier with Lau Hsing that prevents me from learning yiquan one-on-one with him, without an interpreter being present. From what I've seen in various blogs, that would not be the case with some other high-level yiquan teachers.

Good luck with your training.
redmund2905
Mingjing

Postby jjy5016 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:24 am

Never said that you were one of Timo's guys. Just compared you to the many experts who get their lessons off of a computer or TV screen and see their instructor once a year or so and think they actually learn something.

Contradicting everything I say for the sake of argument without knowing me or what my understanding & level of skill are is not debating. It's just antagonism coming from someone who knows nothing about my practice. You seem to have a personal problem with me.

Asking who your teacher is or how long you've been training is a legitimate question. As Mike Strong mentioned there are only a few yiquan clans around and most of us are familiar with the others and their practices. If I'm going to even discuss the subject I want to know that I'm not just wasting my time with someone who gets their words and instruction from media. I'm not afraid to mention my teacher(s) names if asked. Why are you?
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan