Rehashing an old topic; re: Taiji

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Rehashing an old topic; re: Taiji

Postby Juan on Fri May 01, 2009 11:20 am

Hello Fellas,

I know this was discussed in the past, and I apologize if I am "beating a dead horse", but when this topic was discussed a few years ago when my understanding of Taiji/MA was not waht it is now and I was not fully able to grasp what was being discussed.

Anyhow, my question is about teaching/learning Taiji for fighting without the form. Can it be done? This is something that I began to think about as my understanding of MA and fighting kind of grows. Does one need to learn the form to learn the form to get the principles of Taiji such as using the whole body for power? Aren't there other excercises in the system such as the Chan Ssu Chin that can teach this as well? Can it not be taught in drills and/or sparring? For self defense the postures have some very clear applications, can those applications be taught as drills?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to do away with the form or trying to get out of practicing the form. These are just some things I was kicking around in my head and thought it'd be interesting to discuss.
Juan
Great Old One

Re: Rehashing an old topic; re: Taiji

Postby everything on Fri May 01, 2009 11:36 am

This is a controversial topic. I go back and forth on it. Most people learning taiji jiankang (not quan) learn empty form ad nauseum so ruling them out... If you want to "use taiji" in your fighting I think you have to do a little form.

I saw you practice MT from your cool videos, so I would ask: can you learn MT without doing some shadowboxing/drilling of the main moves? Sparring may be paramount, but getting certain moves better requires some specific solo practice, I'd guess.

Same thing with ground grappling. Just rolling gets me so far. I find it helpful to do certain solo "form" - like moves.

Same thing with push hands.

Edit: OTOH, if you claim postures in the forms are just templates and you're really after the principles in a "formless" way, I think that's probably possible for you to do... I like having some examples, personally.
Last edited by everything on Fri May 01, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri May 01, 2009 11:41 am

I did a (taiji San shou for fighting) seminar with a guy who learned some san shou from willian CC Chen-

in the seminar he taught to punch at various locations so that hitting in these areas also allowed to make the person lose balance the same way push hands training does.

we did striking drills alternating weight between the substantial and insubstantial foot shifting and separating weight.

alot of the strikes were open hand too but most were with fist (chuan) and studied striking areas for each. We did the same with kicks as well.
neijia_boxer

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri May 01, 2009 11:47 am

Yes you can. IMO so far the form is best at teaching to relax and focus for an extended period of time as well as work on flowing from one movement to the next in the correct manner. The alignment and rooting and other things can all be taught from single movement drills and basic non-moving exercises as well as simple shifting and stepping exercises. Controlled slow sparring with the focus on specific taiji principles such as following and flowing and maintaining correct structure will teach the same thing the form does IMO. Combining the two approaches is ideal though.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri May 01, 2009 11:59 am

Taijiquan without form won't be taijiquan anymore. Form is an intrinsic part of that style.

Of course there are other ways, many paths to the top of the mountain...
I can think of a couple of rather formidable internal training regimens/styles that don't (or didn't until very recently) have any forms.
Just name it something else then, IMHO.

FWIW
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri May 01, 2009 12:12 pm

Dmitri wrote:Taijiquan without form won't be taijiquan anymore. Form is an intrinsic part of that style.

I can think of a couple of rather formidable internal training regimens/styles that don't (or didn't until very recently) have any forms.

FWIW

If you don't mind me asking why do you think taijiquan needs the forms to be taijiquan?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri May 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Anyhow, my question is about teaching/learning Taiji for fighting without the form. Can it be done

One of my teachers was only taught 5 movements "drills" for the first two years. But he learned the principles very well. He is now a terrific fighter and one of the best practitioners I have met.

With that said, I would state that taijiquan is based on principle, not form. Form is only a way to stack and organize a certain kind of knowledge.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Juan on Fri May 01, 2009 12:27 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:
Dmitri wrote:Taijiquan without form won't be taijiquan anymore. Form is an intrinsic part of that style.

FWIW

If you don't mind me asking why do you think taijiquan needs the forms to be taijiquan?

Good question.
Juan
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri May 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Pretty simple, "taijiquan" is a particular martial art and like any MA it has some "standard" curriculum bits that are specific to it, often unique, and, in part, make it what it is. Take them away, and you would be coming close to redefining what the name really implies.

Would bagua still be bagua if you take away circle walking?
Would xingyi still be xingyi if you take away santi work?

I would say 'no', but that's just my humble opinion... YMMV.
Even if you do say 'yes', you might agree that it would constitute some serious changes (or some might say, 'crippling' changes) to those arts.
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri May 01, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri May 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Would bagua still be bagua if you take away circle walking?

yes
Would xingyi still be xingyi if you take away santi work?

no

I am not sure about your thinking here, but I think you mistake "building shenfa" and "working with principle" with the external frame set. Style is beased both on a curriculum and principle. The curriculum guide you to what is needed to learn principle and methods. But the curriculum is not principle.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri May 01, 2009 1:24 pm

But "the external frame set" is one of the major ways of HOW you "build shenfa" and "working with principle", in tjq.

Every single style of taijiquan has a form. When people see form they KNOW it's taijiquan. Form IMHO has become, for better or worse, a defining part of tjq's curriculum, and of the art itself. (I.e. literally, an answer to "what is taijiquan" should IMO include form practice.)

Like I said, YMMV...
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri May 01, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri May 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Yes Dmitri, I understand your point and it is a good one.

Ok, maybe we should ask how important form is and what place it has. Different styles have different curriculum. Is one style more taiji and another less? More forms equal more taiji? Stupid questions, yes I know, but personally I don't believe that taijiquan was creatde when a certain form was created. There are many loose threads, exercises, principles and taken together they can be called taijiquan.

And another thing is that you can recognize taijiquan from many things. Push hands is one. And you don't need to watch a whole taiji form to understand that it is taijiquan. A short part is enough, "retreat, parry and punch" or just the single whip posture is enough. And yet, just looking at a person practicing some exercises, it will be very hard, maybe impossible to know if he has other skills than what you watch or if he knows more than that.

So from this pov, I believe that a taiji form is more something that symbolise taijiquan, or is an expression of the art, but not the essence of it.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri May 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Whether something can still be called "Taijiquan" with or without a form is a bit of a side issue. Back to the original question. I think the answer is that somebody who already understands Tai Chi, i.e. has mastered it, could do without the form quite happily. For the rest of us mere mortals, having lots of 'examples postures' as found in the form, is pretty damn handy.

Having said that, technique is a passing faze. After all, only a tiny fraction of the techniques available in TCC actually appear in any Form. TCC isn't in the form - it's in you.

Perhaps another question to ask is whether learning a short form is sufficient, compared to the long form found in each style?
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri May 01, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Fri May 01, 2009 2:06 pm

the form is a path to learn the body method of taiji, and conditioning to perform many of the techniques. that said, you cannot fight with ANY martial arts, if you do not practice fighting. and yes...
-deadhorse-
but it hasn't been discussed in a while, so as long as it doesn't spiral into a nonsense thread, I'll allow it.
Last edited by nianfong on Fri May 01, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Walk the Torque on Fri May 01, 2009 2:22 pm

And yet another question is , What exactly is it that the tai chi form gives us?

Once we work that out it may be easier to make a decision on the necessity of the practice. I consider the form as providing an opportunity to slow down and examine (experientially of course) the postures and movements. This opportunity to really feel and plunge into the movements at great depth, is what I would say is indispensable to the training of tai chi.

Can this be done without a form? Well probably, but can learning tai chi be done without the meticulous and slow examination? I think not.

Even if you have two person drills only, I think you'd have to slow things right down in order to get any idea of what is going on.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan