Zhan Zhuang as Fight Training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Zhan Zhuang as Fight Training

Postby bustr on Tue May 12, 2009 8:52 pm

johnwang wrote:Being able to resist take down is good but being able to take down the other is even better. We need to have a balance between both training.

Thanks. Do you know of any push hands or shuai jiao groups in the Beaumont or Lake Charles area? All I know of are jujutsu groups and they all tend to start from a kneeling position with little emphasis on throwing.
bustr

Postby johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 9:19 pm

Don't know any SC school in that area. You can use your fingers to count how many SC schools exist in US.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Wed May 13, 2009 12:17 am

bustr wrote:Thanks CaliG. I think I'll put more emphasis on it now.

Sure thing Bustr, if you enjoy it then by all means...

But I want to clarify that if you're doing throws then your time is probably best spent actually trying to throw someone. Because the more you do that the more your take down defense will naturally improve.

If you're ever trained with some serious black belt type grapplers you'll find that they also have the ability I was talking about but they have achieved it on the mat without doing any ZZ.

I'm not trying to take away from standing but I'm not trying to sell it either.
Last edited by CaliG on Wed May 13, 2009 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby chimerical tortoise on Thu May 14, 2009 1:26 am

johnwang wrote:Being able to resist take down is good but being able to take down the other is even better. We need to have a balance between both training.

I started vt by learning the form, siu nim tau. Then once I copied the movements I learned single and double sticky hands. Then I started to ask why I was not sticking properly. I realised that my sifu can stop a hand movement of mine at any angle or direction. So I asked what was wrong with my movement. The shape seemed similar to my sifu, but his had power. I kept doing form but it didn't improve that much. I asked my sifu and he said, if I can't stand well, how can I do something like form, let alone fight, well? I am standing while doing the form/fighting. So he told me to stand. I am impatient and don't find it easy to train long, but that's my problem, not zz method.
Last edited by chimerical tortoise on Thu May 14, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan