the business side of things...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

the business side of things...

Postby ashe on Wed May 06, 2009 4:49 pm

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Re: the business side of things...

Postby shawnsegler on Wed May 06, 2009 5:00 pm

I think there is a microscopically fine line between doing what you need to make money and accidently becoming kind of a money grubbing/sell out/scumbag.

Just put a lot of thought into it, I guess.

S

edit: Just how it is in this particular business...not you or anyone in particular, Ashe.
Last edited by shawnsegler on Wed May 06, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Wed May 06, 2009 5:24 pm

I absolutely agree with you Shawn but in the case of the article Ashe posted I think I can say that every single idea listed is totally compatable with my desire to preserve and respect my art. What a relief. Most of the items are, I think, really good goals to strive for. They are not financial/tactical like sales contracts, special "deluxe" memberships and merchandising. It's mostly just stuff about how to create a positive experience for your clients (students).
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed May 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Yeah, you're right. It's just one of those things that I feel is more often than not sullied simply by having it connected to a business paradigm in general.

It's like the situation with insurance in this country. Businesses are intrinsically going to to try and make money and be as efficient as possible towards that end which ends up over time evolving into something that just fucks people because it's not about the people it's about the money. Same thing with big pharmacy and probably any number of other examples.

Does my comparison make sense to you?

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby jjy5016 on Thu May 07, 2009 3:25 am

Keeping your name / business in front of current & potential clients is a must. One of the first things taught in business classes.

Given the type of business that your'e in some of his advice might not be that great. Like sending birthday cards to clients. I mean what do you write in the card " come on in for a special birthday ass-kicking"? Then again a private complementary birthday lesson might be something to consider. Getting too much into a client's personal life could backfire as well.

I still think that word of mouth is the best advertisement. Make your students feel so great by the end of class that they want to tell their friends about it and come to see for themselves.

I let my students do the advertising for me. They keep a steady flow of desk jockeys with stiff backs, MILFs with plenty of time and hubby's money to spend and guys from other schools coming to my class. Knowing what the clients' needs and expectations are is key. Martial artists are in a consumer class by themselves. On the kids side some of the most successful schools are little more than a babysitting service or after school daycare. Instead of getting gold stars on their papers they get belts, certificates etc. On the adult side you have people who are eiher looking for something that other exercise can't give them, people with too much time on their hands and those who want to be the next Bruce Lee. Find out which are which and give them what they are looking for.

The "Create Good Sessions Every Time" Segment has good advice in it.

The "Home Away From Home" idea could work but could also backfire. Having social events is nice but since you are the sifu you have to keep them understanding that you are the boss. Too much socializing puts them at the same level as you and then you aren't so special any more. Maybe they'll look for someone who is.

There's a guy in my town who has a "Karate School" He has a Porsche, a Hummer and a couple of vans that he picks up kids with after school to take them to class. Makes money hand over foot teaching Tae Kwon Do and selling contracts. Do you want to do this? Eventually it might become necessary. Passion is passion, business is business. Keep them separate.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu May 07, 2009 3:49 am

The "Home Away From Home" idea could work but could also backfire. Having social events is nice but since you are the sifu you have to keep them understanding that you are the boss. Too much socializing puts them at the same level as you and then you aren't so special any more. Maybe they'll look for someone who is.

There is also (IME) the father figure problem. You get to close to your students like that and they will get all up in your life. It stems from the same place where the cult thing starts.

Like I said. Just think about EVERYTHING you do very carefully.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu May 07, 2009 4:37 am

Yes, but if you REALLY want to make some serious money then creating a cult would be the way to go...

Last edited by GrahamB on Thu May 07, 2009 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 07, 2009 6:10 am

Elron has taught us all that if you want to make real money you need to found a religion.

Scientology is super rich because of Elron's knowing that a large percentage of humans are easily duped stupid fucks despite their various successes elsewhere in society. The catholic Church is mega rich, owns it's own country and millions of acres of other peoples countries as well and gets huge sums of money given to them daily tax free! amazing!

The fuller a mans outward life is, the emptier his mind and soul it seems.

How odd. lol

Balance is your friend, be happy with what you have in stead of being miserable about what you don't have. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Thu May 07, 2009 7:24 am

ok, so omar and jjy actually read the article. did anyone else or did everyone have a habitual reaction to running a school as a business?

things like heavy bags, foucs mitts, hosting master level teachers for workshops and oh, i don't know, a place to train when it's raining or snowing all cost money. ;D if people want access to that they should be willing to pay for it.

so if you only trust backyard martial arts, that's cool, but let's not derail the topic. (my fault, i guess i should have been more specific about what kind of thoughts i was looking for.)

1. Keep your energy in tune with your client(s) at all times

what's that supposed to mean?

12. “Pamper” them; I am not saying baby them. I am saying spoil them with great customer service.

what is great customer service from a MA school?

the home away from home idea plays on the idea of the "third place". most people have three main places they spend their time, work, home and the third place, like cheers, or in the case of people who like to train the gym, or what ever. people who have a third place don't like to give it up, so you can recession proof your classes by becoming that third place for people.

EDIT- FWIW i think the best thing anyone can possibly do for their school is to have their own skill level be as high as possible. that's always the foundation.
Last edited by ashe on Thu May 07, 2009 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Thu May 07, 2009 7:43 am

me likey the third place idea... really. thanks ashe:
best,
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby somatai on Thu May 07, 2009 7:54 am

wrong thread
Last edited by somatai on Thu May 07, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
somatai

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 07, 2009 7:57 am

I read the article.

This is how I see it.
If you have something that is worth offering and you want to offer it, then do so.
If it is the only means you use for your bread and butter, then charge accordingly.

There is no need to further complicate it and marketing tips are useless if you don't have the foundational "product". Which in teh case of martial arts is knowning what you say you know and being able to transmit it to al the different learning styles you will encounter.

can you:

articulate it?
write about it?
demonstrate it?
correct it?

if so, you are good to go.

simple.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu May 07, 2009 8:28 am

I read the article and it has some usefull things to say, but I'm saying that it's a real slippery slope when you are trying to manipulate things for money like that. Not because of him or you or what in particular he's saying, but because of the dynamic.

In the end it comes down to you and how well you relate to people and how sensitive you are to your clientelle. I'm just saying it's easy to come off sounding or seeming false when you are trying explicitly to manipulate the situation for your monetary gain.

Everyone does it to some exent, and it's down to the practitioner to pull it off. Just put a lot of thought into what you're doing is all I'm saying.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby WVMark on Thu May 07, 2009 8:55 am

I think this is exactly why an old family art or an old school art will always fail the business model.

It's not always friendly. While we strive to maintain an accident free training place, there are times when some sessions will not be friendly. Testing skills and abilities can run from friendly, free-play to full-contact, on-the-edge training. Yeah, there's times for laughing, but fun isn't a descriptive word I'd use. It's tough work, boring from repetitions, etc. but I wouldn't say "fun". It's not service-oriented. You are passing down a family art, not catering to the John Doe's of the world. So, that leaves out a lot of things from the article.

Yeah, after reading through that, I think that if I wanted to start a martial arts belt mill, McDojo, Kitchen-Sink Training Hall, or some such "business" I'd follow a good bit of that article. Otherwise, a garage, a pole building, renting out time from an existing martial school, etc are much better methods to train. I would never expect to see the things that the article expressed in a family art like Albo Kali Silat. I'd expect them from tae kwon do schools, though. karate, aikido, tai chi, too. When an art spreads to the point where the masses become entertained, then quality must suffer as quantity rises. To build a successful martial arts school for quantity, one requires overhead that necessitates pandering to the client. Nice article for doing that.

For quality martial arts schools? Horrible article.

IMO anyway,
Mark
WVMark
Huajing

Postby WVMark on Thu May 07, 2009 9:05 am

ashe wrote:ok, so omar and jjy actually read the article. did anyone else or did everyone have a habitual reaction to running a school as a business?

things like heavy bags, foucs mitts, hosting master level teachers for workshops and oh, i don't know, a place to train when it's raining or snowing all cost money. ;D if people want access to that they should be willing to pay for it.

so if you only trust backyard martial arts, that's cool, but let's not derail the topic. (my fault, i guess i should have been more specific about what kind of thoughts i was looking for.)

1. Keep your energy in tune with your client(s) at all times

what's that supposed to mean?

I take that to mean that if your client comes in down in the dumps, then you don't try to shower them with peppy exercises. You work with them on things that will mesh with their "energy". If it's a gym, then maybe lighten up the weights and focus on the reps instead. Don't do aerobics, but steady stair step exercises, maybe. If the client's mood starts to pick up because of the exercising, then move on to more peppy or aerobic, fun, stuff.

ashe wrote:
12. “Pamper” them; I am not saying baby them. I am saying spoil them with great customer service.

what is great customer service from a MA school?

Good job, John Doe! That form looked nearly perfect. You're ready for your next belt ... (short time later) ... Congratulations, here's your next belt.

Oh, the gi doesn't fit. Here, let me return it. I'll cover the shipping costs so it doesn't come out of your pocket.

Well, Jane Smith, even though your daughter didn't make all the classes because of soccer practice, she just passed her belt test. Congratulations.

Or a bit more seriously, good CS can be making extra time during off days for people to come in and work on forms, upcoming tests, etc. Keeping the costs for gear down as much as possible to help with client's costs. Refunding a seminar fee if someone can't make it, hated it, etc.
WVMark
Huajing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan