Switch sides during sparring

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Switch sides during sparring

Postby johnwang on Thu May 07, 2009 12:17 pm

What should you do when your opponent switch sides during sparring? What kind of information that you can get from your opponent's behavior like this?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Switch sides during sparring

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 07, 2009 12:19 pm

switch with them.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu May 07, 2009 12:23 pm

Develop the experience not to care one way or the other.
Chris McKinley

Postby Juan on Thu May 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Develop the experience not to care one way or the other.

I concur. This is difficult to do tho. I'm a lefty and HATE fighting other lefties. Also, my teacher has been trying to work on me to be able to switch to orthodox style just so I am able to fight from both sides but it is very awkward for me to fight from a right handed stance.
Juan
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu May 07, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm also a lefty, but you couldn't tell from my fighting. I started very early on in becoming ambidextrous in terms of fighting, and it's one of the reasons I credit for being somewhat successful back then. I was also training FMA at the same time, and you really don't have a choice but to become ambidextrous in those arts unless you like lots of rattan-shaped bruises.
Chris McKinley

Postby johnwang on Thu May 07, 2009 12:35 pm

Juan wrote:

I concur. This is difficult to do tho. I'm a lefty and HATE fighting other lefties. Also, my teacher has been trying to work on me to be able to switch to orthodox style just so I am able to fight from both sides but it is very awkward for me to fight from a right handed stance.

I prefer to develop different skill for different sides. For example if

- both my opponent and I have right side forward (uniform stance), I like to use my back left leg to "sweep" my opponent's right leading leg.
- I have right side forward and my opponent has left side forward (mirror stance), I like to use my right leg to "scoop" my opponent's left leading leg because the distance is too close for me to "sweep".

In other words, I prefer to spend more time to train my left leg for "sweep" and my right leg for "scoop" because in reality I'll never switch sides.

Very few people can shot hand gun with the same accuracy from both hands. Very few fighters are good on both sides. Why your opponent suddenly switches side in the middle of the sparring? He is most likely tired and resting at that moment and this is the best time to charge in and attack.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu May 07, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Thu May 07, 2009 12:37 pm

My training experience has been with a heavy emphasis on ambidextrous development as well, and at this point, I appreciate it very much. In the earlier phases of training, being able to keep the same position relative to the other person in a 1v1 situation can be a great tool for taking some of the variables out of what one needs to respond to, and how as well.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Ba-men on Thu May 07, 2009 1:30 pm

johnwang wrote:What should you do when your opponent switch sides during sparring? What kind of information that you can get from your opponent's behavior like this?

That.... A) that he uncomfortable with your defense.

But.... B) if its combined with feints and attacks... he's looking and searching for info. (at this point one should start to look for telegraphs...if possible.

Bottom line .... develop technical prowess that isn't affected by your opponents stances/power base (i.e. south paw etc...)
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Thu May 07, 2009 5:17 pm

you have to be able to fight on both sides. otherwise you have some clear weaknesses to exploit. my teacher's son said it was obvious when you spar with judoka, because usually they would all only fight one-sided, and usually they'd be "right hand" sided. they would really hate it when you went lefty on them. so much so that they'd usually be thrown.

I am better at different things on each side, but I can at least fight with both ;). my left hand front is usually more defensive/countering mode. right hand in front is usually more offensive mode.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Ian on Thu May 07, 2009 8:50 pm

I spend 2/3 of my time working my weak side.
Ian

Postby wiesiek on Fri May 08, 2009 3:33 am

johnwang wrote:[[Why your opponent suddenly switches side in the middle of the sparring? He is most likely tired and resting at that moment and this is the best time to charge in and attack.
[/quote]

you have be aware that he can be redy to try second sets of attack...

i usually would use my "weaker" side first
then i swich
to better one...
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri May 08, 2009 4:27 am

What should you do when your opponent switch sides during sparring?

watch out for the shin kick. :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby fisherman on Fri May 08, 2009 4:28 am

A couple of years back when I started training the fighting stuff a bit more intensively I noticed that all of the bagua and xingyi forms that I do begin with the left side forward. Maybe the creators had an idea that a larger percentage of the population is right handed? Anyways, I noticed that while I was training all my forms left side forward with my strong side back, I was working applications from the right side forward. Maybe I was doing this because my right hand is more coordinated and is more skilled at grabbing? For the past couple of years it has been interesting feeling out what works better on my left and what works better on my right. What I have noticed is that I prefer to keep my strong side back when in striking range, but when I get in closer to grapple for a throw I prefer to have my other side forward.
All said and done I think that it is important to train things on both side as it provides the opportunity to explore the limitations of your body coordination and make them stronger.
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri May 08, 2009 10:07 am

This is absolutely the way to go, changing sides with them simply leads them to set up opportunities in timing. The best way to learn not to let it matter? , always know which of your opponents weapons pose the most clear and present danger.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri May 08, 2009 10:30 am

Changing side in the middle of the sparring is dangerous. You will always receive a round house kick on your stomach when you do that. In uniform stance, your powerful back leg round house kick can only attack your opponent's back that won't be able to cause much damage. In mirror stance, your powerful back leg round house kick can kick at your opponent's stomach and that will be a good set up for your "entering".
Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 08, 2009 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan