Ziranmen.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Ziranmen.

Postby Franklin on Sat May 09, 2009 10:10 am

sounds good Alex....

and sounds like you have been busy....

look forward to the future releases....
i really like "Beyond the Mysterious Gate"- it was a very good read....
looking forward tot he sequel... ;D

again please keep us informed....

do you have a website?

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Sat May 09, 2009 10:27 am

alexsuffolk wrote:
- a series of three martial arts novels set in Qing Dynasty China / Tibet

Hi Alex,

So are these going to be something along the lines of english language versions of old wuxia novels, or are they original works? And when might we be able to expect the first in the series? Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming books!
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby alexsuffolk on Sat May 09, 2009 11:02 am

hey Franklin, no site at the moment although we expect one just so we join the real world .....

hey Joe, yes inspired by Wuxia novels but written by myself with input from my teacher, weaving in many real teachings and training skills, all our favourite Neijia masters and fighters are included one way or another, one trilogy of novels, the other trilogy is graphic novel with superb illustrations in a style which gives full justice to the subject.....will keep you posted as to release dates.
alexsuffolk

Postby Joe L. on Sat May 09, 2009 11:21 am

Very cool, Alex! Both of those ideas sound great, seeing as you don't really find too many English language novels as such, and the Chinese graphic novels they used to produce/translate a few years ago seems to have gone out of business (leaving one series in particular just two novels from completion..).

I look forward to both and will pass the word along to a few friends who I know will be interested when they do hit the stores. Thanks again!
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Sat May 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Joe, hope you checked out Albert A Dalia's Dream of the Dragon Pool: A Taoist Quest. It's a great read. Not super action packed, mostly a sort of supernatural tale... but it's really cool.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Joe L. on Sat May 09, 2009 6:44 pm

Ha, that's funny you mention that zenshiite. I was looking around today for some wuxia in English after reading this thread, and I happened across a whole review/ad for that book. Looked pretty interesting (gotta like supernatural material with some action rolled in), so I think I'm going to try and pick it up at the end of the month. Maybe with any luck Borders or some other book store will have it before then. Thanks for the suggestion.
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby Graculus on Sat May 09, 2009 7:06 pm

I second(?) the opinion on the Ziranmen book - it is excellent in many ways, containing a lot of information that is otherwise unavailable in print form (including a discussion of peng/bing as was mentioned on the other thread).

I would definitely recommend it.

On the subject of Wuxia, check this site: http://www.lannyland.com/translations.htm for some full length English translations.

p.s. Alex, you might want to get yourself a good proofreader for upcoming projects. I would be happy to oblige - (as I do this professionally) but I should think you can find someone closer to hand.

Graculus
Graculus
Huajing

Postby eddie mush on Sat May 09, 2009 8:30 pm

zenshiite wrote:Joe, hope you checked out Albert A Dalia's Dream of the Dragon Pool: A Taoist Quest. It's a great read. Not super action packed, mostly a sort of supernatural tale... but it's really cool.

Thanks, I will let this book be my first encounter with the genre. I saw on the above link that William Porter *Red Pine* also gave it 5 stars. A writer himself I always enjoy reading.

Alex, great to hear that also the triology is (finally) taking form, you first time told me about these ideas in '97 . ;)

edit: spelling retard
Last edited by eddie mush on Sat May 09, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Lund Rasmussen

In case you are unfamiliar with Eddie Mush, he was the character in the movie "A Bronx Tale" who was a total jinx. He had a perfect track record of losing every bet he ever placed as well as jinxing everyone around him.
eddie mush
Anjing

Postby adept on Sun May 10, 2009 2:31 am

alexsuffolk wrote: - a series of three martial arts novels set in Qing Dynasty China / Tibet

Excellent stuff Alex. I remember you told me you were in the process of writing these a few years back.

Mark
adept
Santi

Postby alexsuffolk on Sun May 10, 2009 2:57 am

Yes i have been writing them for 15 yrs!

I love Red Pine's books, I must admit to being very influenced as a teenager by the works of Eric Lustbader , full of hyperbole and over the top mystical martial action but great reading.....The Ninja trilogy and Beneath a Pale moon (i think thats the title) were enthralling. Also a series called Last of the Zinja (yes really...) was a solid read about ancient Japan. There is not enough martial fiction around these days....
alexsuffolk

Postby williamwilson666 on Tue May 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Tom wrote:
alexsuffolk wrote:There is not enough martial fiction around these days....

You just need to read some martial arts websites.

http://www.masterjohnson.com

http://www.yellowbamboo.info/Dez%20Sellars.htm

http://www.llapgoch.org.uk/

http://www.ashidakim.com/

Etc.

As a Welshman, I can assure you that "Llap Goch" is a very real and deadly martial art. The only reason I practise Tai Chi is that Llap Goch makes you dangerously yang.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan