Death of GM Huang Zhicheng

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Death of GM Huang Zhicheng

Postby lazyboxer on Fri May 08, 2009 5:28 pm

I was shocked and saddened to learn today of the passing of Dalian's great baguaquan teacher Huang Zhicheng last November. This news seems to have gone completely unnoticed by the entire Anglophone world - I accidentally stumbled on it at Neldo Sacomani's (Master Huang's student in Buenos Aires) blog at http://209.85.229.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://kungfutradicional-nos.blogspot.com/2008/11/fallecimiento-de-mi-maestro-sr-huang.html.

Huang Zhicheng was one of the last surviving traditional old masters. Born in the 1930s, he spent thirty years learning the intricacies of baguaquan with his teacher Sun Ruwen. He undertook research into his grandteacher Gong Baotian's origins and life during China's liberalization period in the 1980s, locating his home in Qingshan village, meeting family members and erecting a tombstone at Master Gong's grave. He published the following moving biography of Master Gong in 2007 on the 64th anniversary of his death: http://www.smilingtiger.net/Research%20on%20Gong%20Baotian.pdf. Here's a bit of the only VCD he ever did, recorded 20 years ago and now unobtainable:

Master Huang was the 'real deal', one of the very few who retained and could demonstrate proper old-style Yin Fu bagua and its application. Renowned in his hometown, and respected outside it, he had no interest in self-promotion, nor did he need it. I hope his successors, bagua's 6th generation, will be able to do justice to his memory. He will be greatly missed.
Last edited by lazyboxer on Fri May 08, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Re: Death of GM Huang Zhicheng

Postby shawnsegler on Fri May 08, 2009 5:49 pm

What a loss for the GBT line of Bagua, and the martial world in general. I've always been a huge fan of his stuff.

Another Dragon has flown to heaven. RIP.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Sat May 09, 2009 1:15 am

Very good clip. Thanks for putting it up, Lazyboxer.

When an old master dies, a library is lost.

A great loss for Bagua.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby alexsuffolk on Sat May 09, 2009 2:27 am

May this Bagua Dragon return swiftly to share the goodness.

alex
alexsuffolk

Postby Bob on Sat May 09, 2009 4:47 am

I've always liked his video [plum publications, early 1990s]. We met him once in either Jinan or Qingdao in 1998 but I don't remember him. However, I think some of the participants in the 1998 Jinan tournament were his students.

Deepest sympathies to his family and students.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby grady on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:27 pm

Does anyone have any contact info for any of his tudi in Dalian?
grady
Mingjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan