defining tai chi chuan

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

defining tai chi chuan

Postby bruce on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:48 pm

-what is tai chi chuan?
-what was tai chi chuan developed for?
-why practice tai chi chuan?
-is tai chi chuan a martial art?
-if yes why?
-if no why?

i will start this in the main forum and hope it gets honest answers to honest questions instead of btdt banter.
bruce
Great Old One

Re: defining tai chi chuan

Postby klonk on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:08 pm

I think it was developed as a martial art, but has somewhat come down in the world. Perhaps it was better stuff before Mao. We shall never know.

Some say it was developed as an exercise to perfect the movements of external martial arts. Others say it drew from and perfected the principles of external martial arts, thus grew beyond them.

External is anything your taiji teacher does not like and practice himself. That is the working definition, as near as I can peg it.

(This is intended as a serious reply, but some people say I am none too serious at any time, so I hope no confusion results.)
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:22 pm

can tai chi chuan evolve?
can tai chi chuan be different things to different people?
bruce
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:24 pm

klonk wrote:I think it was developed as a martial art, but has somewhat come down in the world. Perhaps it was better stuff before Mao. We shall never know.

Some say it was developed as an exercise to perfect the movements of external martial arts. Others say it drew from and perfected the principles of external martial arts, thus grew beyond them.

External is anything your taiji teacher does not like and practice himself. That is the working definition, as near as I can peg it.

(This is intended as a serious reply, but some people say I am none too serious at any time, so I hope no confusion results.)

some tai chi chuan systems/groups were not affected by "mao" as they left china for various parts of asia before "mao" did his thing.

i think it can help your "other" martial arts.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:44 am

1. what is tai chi chuan?
A: Tai chi is a method of movement and method of thought.

2. what was tai chi chuan developed for?
A: Only those who developed it know the answer. The changes made by masters and passed down within their system might have many reasons. Sun Lutang shanged the hand position in santi for better qi flow but still said to use the older hand position for combat. Different masters likely changed the taiji forms to better fit with what they likes most about taiji and this means as much as many people would hate to admit that some lineages may be better for fighting than others and some will be better at meditation than others.

2. why practice tai chi chuan?
A: Personally, its fun. Don't really need any more reason than that do we? I also know it has definite combat value and I feel it is the logical direction for martial arts practice to go as you gain experience and skill.

3. is tai chi chuan a martial art?
A: Yes. Just about any way you define a martial art taiji will fit the definition. Its body methods when done correctly have definite martial value and the movements are definite martial movements.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:02 am

"some tai chi chuan systems/groups were not affected by "mao" as they left china for various parts of asia before "mao" did his thing."

Thats patently ridiculous. There is a pile of good taiji in China still. In aproximately 15 years, how could Mao possibly have affected all of the taiji community.
::)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:05 am

-what is tai chi chuan?
A martial art based on the transition between soft and hard.

Fighting

To make your body strong and learn how to kick ass.
Or, to get in touch with your inner landscape.

Yes

-if yes why?
Because it contains martial applications and combat methodology.

-if no why?
Because most taiji people only practice so that they can get in touch with the universe. Ommmmmm
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:42 am

[all answers are of course my personal opinion/view]

-what is tai chi chuan?
As the name suggests :), it's a martial art based on 'tai chi', which is a fundamental universal principle of interaction between yin and yang.

Depends on the branch; some for fighting some for health.

It's fun;
It improves (on many levels) self-awareness and awareness of others;
I like the paradoxical nature of it, the subtlety of practice methods turning almost implicitly into substantial results;
It is something I can still do when I'm old. Or so I hope.

To me, yes.

-if yes why?
Because that's how I like to classify it. :)

-can tai chi chuan evolve?
It already has (been) and it will continue.

-can tai chi chuan be different things to different people?
It already has been. There are as many "styles" as there are people; even if a student mimicks the master blindly as closely as possible, it will still become his own (if he practices hard enough.) Entropy prevails. :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:07 am

mixjourneyman wrote:"some tai chi chuan systems/groups were not affected by "mao" as they left china for various parts of asia before "mao" did his thing."

Thats patently ridiculous. There is a pile of good taiji in China still. In aproximately 15 years, how could Mao possibly have affected all of the taiji community.

i agree ...
i am sure "mao" had affected much of the tai chi chuan world in china but of coarse not all. but what i was saying is even if he did there are groups of tai chi chuan people who had left china before "mao" was doing his thing.
i think you quote my answer to another posters comment about how he feels mao affected tai chi chuan.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:09 am

good opinions so far ... no real contradictions yet :-)
bruce
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:21 am

bruce wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote:"some tai chi chuan systems/groups were not affected by "mao" as they left china for various parts of asia before "mao" did his thing."

i agree ...
i am sure "mao" had affected much of the tai chi chuan world in china but of coarse not all. but what i was saying is even if he did there are groups of tai chi chuan people who had left china before "mao" was doing his thing.
i think you quote my answer to another posters comment about how he feels mao affected tai chi chuan.

Sorry mang, you know I just get so burned out by people claiming that the only real taiji (or other art) emigrated from China to Taiwan (or whatever other country), when the art(s) is still flourishing in China.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:29 am

cool man ...

this leads to a question though. many (not all) in china would not say tai chi chuan is a martial art. why would they have that opinion?
they would say tai chi chuan is a gentle moving meditation to build your health. while they are doing good by making people more healthy should they call it another name? or is there room for more than one definition of what tai chi chuan is?
bruce
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:35 am

I think there is room for multiple definitions of the art, as long as people stay honest about it.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:21 pm

bruce wrote:-what is tai chi chuan?

Every practitioner must find his own answer

bruce wrote:-what was tai chi chuan developed for?

The question is wrong. Taijiquan is a modern term. The modern art has been made up by and developed through many different arts and developed by many different persons. The art became what it is because many different persons developed it further for many different reasons. Some part has martial origin, some parts are philosophical, some parts are developed out of medical knowledge and daoyin practice. Taijiquan has room for many different things, one reason might ot be more clear than another one. Who can say exactly where and by who Taijiquan started? It evolved to what it is and it will continue to mean different things to different people.

bruce wrote:-why practice tai chi chuan?

Differnet practitioner has different reasons. There is no wrong reason and there is no right reason.

bruce wrote:-is tai chi chuan a martial art?

If you can use your art to fight with, yes - then your taiji has a quality as martial art.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Why nobody ever asked "What is XingYi chuan?" or "What is Bagua chuan?" Is there something that's unique in Taiji? The uniqueness in Taiji is it wants to be treated as MA but it also look down on MA and treat fighting as "low level". It's like a girl who wants people to think she is pretty but the moment people say that she is pretty, she feels that she was insulted and been treated as a "low level" sex toy.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan