Does the word "opponent" no longer have any meaning?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Does the word "opponent" no longer have any meaning?

Postby shawnsegler on Mon May 11, 2009 10:42 pm

That was lovely.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue May 12, 2009 5:19 am

I like the discussions on technique and practical usage but the language barrier is hard to overcome. Perhaps someone who does programming could make something that we could attach to the site to help. Like a frame with 2 movable stick figures that we could use to illustrate a sequence of events. Move them into position, take a snapshot and post as a pic or link. I imagine that would take a lot of effort for someone though.

I find it difficult to learn solo forms without an understanding of what the movements are supposed to be doing. I think some misinformation gets into martial arts that way as well. A student learns a form without being taught how the movements would be used for combat and tries to later figure out what something could be for and sometimes a posture may simply be an "on guard" but they think it has to be some cool move and make something crazy up.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby klonk on Tue May 12, 2009 5:56 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I like the discussions on technique and practical usage but the language barrier is hard to overcome. Perhaps someone who does programming could make something that we could attach to the site to help. Like a frame with 2 movable stick figures that we could use to illustrate a sequence of events. Move them into position, take a snapshot and post as a pic or link. I imagine that would take a lot of effort for someone though.

I've been fooling with this freeware program lately:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pivot_Stickfigure_Animator

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/stickfigure.html

It's a little weird in some places, not as intutitive as it might be, but it works! Turns out animated gif and snapshot bmp files.

I hope to post some things once I get them right...

Once you have the animation or picture, you need a place on the net to host it, and then you can post a link here. Oughta work.
Last edited by klonk on Thu May 21, 2009 7:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 11:53 am

If you train the throwing arts, your Shenfa and footwork will be different depending on whether your visualized opponent is moving in toward you, or you are moving into your visualized opponent. In the 1st case you will use the "stealing step". In the 2nd case you will use the "cover step". For the same hip throw, the training method will be different.

If you train the striking arts, your Shenfa and footwork will be different depending on whether your visualized opponent is punching at you, or you are punching at your visualized opponent. In the 1st case you will need to deflect your opponent's punch. In the 2nd case you may not need to.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan