Adhere and follow : Jab

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Adhere and follow : Jab

Postby bigphatwong on Tue May 12, 2009 9:48 am

I like to use the Crazy Monkey defense too from time to time... start jumping up and down, screeching at the top of my lungs and flinging turds.

It worked great at County.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Juan on Tue May 12, 2009 9:50 am

bigphatwong wrote:I like to use the Crazy Monkey defense too from time to time... start jumping up and down, screeching at the top of my lungs and flinging turds.

lol ;D

If I'm ever in that situation I'll keep that defense in mind.
Juan
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Tue May 12, 2009 10:04 am

"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue May 12, 2009 10:15 am

Juan wrote:
bigphatwong wrote:I like to use the Crazy Monkey defense too from time to time... start jumping up and down, screeching at the top of my lungs and flinging turds.

lol ;D

If I'm ever in that situation I'll keep that defense in mind.

What I like about the Crazy monkey technique is that it works and the story behind it....

The guy saw a fight outside a bar and the guy who was getting beat up, put his hands up over his head in defense. After taking a bunch of shots that were covered by keeping his hands covering his head "like a crazy monkey" the guy was able to recover and beat up the hitter who was tired already.
neijia_boxer

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue May 12, 2009 10:38 am

Jabs always come straight up center so just reach out straight up center and it is deflected. You can strike straight center over the top or you can side step and strike straight center under it .
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 11:27 am

middleway wrote: how to deal with a Jab.

- Kick
- Crack
- Comb the hair and move in.
- Deflect and punch.
- Push back at the striking shoulder.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue May 12, 2009 3:14 pm

The jab serves primarily two purposes. The first is to measure distance and mark the target. The second more importantly is to be the 1 of a 1-2 or 1-2-3 etc. combo. However one reacts and responds to the jab (slipping, deflecting, blocking, attacking etc.) it's essential to do so in a manner that either negates or neutralizes the follow up strike(s).
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue May 12, 2009 3:19 pm

johnwang wrote:
middleway wrote: how to deal with a Jab.

- Kick
- Crack
- Comb the hair and move in.
- Deflect and punch.
- Push back at the striking shoulder.

Couple questions.

If they are jabbing won't you be too close to kick without either stepping back or aiming low? A knee kick about the only thing that would be appropriate distance.

How would you crack the jab?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 4:11 pm

You opponent has to cross the distance in order to jab you. You can kick him before he get that close. You kick him if you don't want him to come any closer. You crack him if you do.

- Your opponent right jab at your face.
- Your back left hand redirect his right arm (not showing in this pic) and you catch his right wrist with your right hand.
- You extend your left arm under his right arm.
- You spin to your right, and
- use your left shoulder to crack on his right elbow.

Last edited by johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue May 12, 2009 4:20 pm

johnwang wrote:You opponent has to cross the distance in order to jab you. You can kick him before he get that close. You kick him if you don't want him to come any closer. You crack him if you do.

- Your opponent right jab at your face.
- Your back left hand redirect his right arm (not showing in this pic) and you catch his right wrist with your right hand.
- You extend your left arm under his right arm.
- You spin to your right, and
- use your left shoulder to crack on his right elbow.

Ok I get how you would do cracking there. Thanks.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 4:32 pm

I have seen with my own eyes that my teacher used this move to hurt a challenger's elbow. The 1st time that my teacher used this move successfully against a resistance opponent was when he accepted a challenge from a XingYi master Liu Er Baio when that XY master moved in with a Beng Chuan.

This is a good example that some ancient CMA skill gradually disappear from the face of the earth because nobody ever train those skill any more (You go to the woods and use your shoulder to break some tree branches. People might think that I was joking when I started the thread - Destruction Techniques training).

MMA guys believe that "arm bar" can be used effectively on the ground but they don't believe that "cracking" can be used in the stand up game. You just can't blame on them with that kind of attitude. Nobody ever used "cracking" in any cage fight successfully and that's fact. Actually if your opponent commits on that punch and move his body toward you, it's very easy to just spin your body and crack his elbow than looking for the arm bar on the ground.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue May 12, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue May 12, 2009 5:09 pm

I have had my elbow sore for a week from being cracked by one of the black belts at my school. It is one of his favorite movement and he can apply it off of nearly any strike. I like the movement as well but need more practice.

I agree that there are some easy breaks you can do while striking and standing, the problem is they are difficult to do nicely. There is a movement in our tiger system that catches an arm at the wrist on the inside and the elbow on the outside which can break the arm (hyperextend the elbow or damage the joint). It takes a lot of control to apply it without the force you would use in a real situation but without that practice the timing is very difficult. So you are left practicing it while sparring at extremely light contact but no follow through, or you can do forms with full follow through, or break sticks. Its an imperfect way to practice but that doesn't mean you can't learn to be effective.

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby AllanF on Tue May 12, 2009 9:38 pm

middleway wrote:
Lately I have been thinking that people should be much more freeform in applying taiji than most tend to be. Rather than the if a then b, if c then d pattern of doing things, just stick on and see where it takes you. If your arm is in contact with his arm, you can probably come up with some extemporaneous way to keep him from hitting you, with the arm you are touching. On this view, taiji forms are not the art, merely examples of how the art works. The art is in its principles, of stick, follow and then retaliate.

bingo! thats what i have been thinking for a long time now. :D ;) i would expand on the 'keep him from hitting you' point to add that when he retracts his arm he is basically pulling your arm to him so enabling you to give the dude a smack! :D

Cheers
Chris

100% Agree to me taiji is formless (not that i can do it like that but anyhoo...) There show never be a 'if A does this B does that'! This again is why i am drawn to the Daito ryu stuff as mentioned in Tom's Transparent power thread. Sticking and following a jab is very hard but over time and practice it can be done. If you meet his incoming jab corectly then you should be able to unbalance him on contact.

The above photo Chang Dong Sheng's throw is how we do the movement ye ma fen zong.
Last edited by AllanF on Tue May 12, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllanF

Postby klonk on Tue May 12, 2009 10:22 pm

AllanF wrote:Sticking and following a jab is very hard but over time and practice it can be done.

You're right that there is no easy way. Least difficult way is to have your hand or arm on his before the punch gets started; it is much more difficult to stick onto the punch after it is already on its way. Too easy to miss! Sticking and smothering is what I am in favor of; blocking is what I want to avoid. Use your contact to bog down what he is doing. Preempt him. I relate this to the principle of "arriving first," though of course we can have many a merry debate about just what those cryptic classics mean!
Last edited by klonk on Tue May 12, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed May 13, 2009 2:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HZo61qevJ0
About 3:02 shows an effective way to handle a jab
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan