Has anyone heard of this Taijiquan style?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Has anyone heard of this Taijiquan style?

Postby pudaoking on Wed May 13, 2009 9:06 pm

I hope you guys can help me make a decision whether or not this style is worth learning or if it is real or bs. There is a teacher near me who is a student of William Ting. William Ting teaches a style of Taijiquan called Wu Ji Taiji or Wu Ji Jing Gong. It is claimed to be a style unknown here in the states but is practiced in parts of China specifilcally Shanghai. It's original name was Chan Si Tai Chi. The current Grandmaster of the style is Lu Ji-Tang who is claimed to be one of the most recognized Taijiquan masters in China, but I can't find any information about this grandmaster or this style anywhere on the internet except on William Ting's website. Here is a link:
http://silvertigertaichi.com
If anybody has heard of this style before and has any information about it please let me know so I can know whether or not I would be wasting my time studying it. The only other Taijiquan near me locally teach the 24 and 48 movement simplified Taijiquan. So I don't have many options.
pudaoking
Santi

Re: Has anyone heard of this Taijiquan style?

Postby shawnsegler on Wed May 13, 2009 9:22 pm

I'm curious about this too.

I've seen him off and on in magazines for years had similar questions and would love to find out what he's about.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 pm

There is no harm in going along and taking a class to just find out a bit about it. Possibly a Yang variant, but the form itself is less important that the teacher's ability to teach the internal working. And perhaps the teacher will be willing to go hands on with you so you can feel his taiji. That is how i met my teacher, when i was interested in learning i was introduced to him and he said will do some free push hands and if you like it then i will teach you if you not no harm done.
AllanF

Postby edededed on Wed May 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Wuji jinggong taijiquan is a form of taijiquan that seems to be unique to Shanghai (where the founder taught). Outside of Shanghai it seems rather rare, though.

On an aside, the taijiquan that Qian Zhaohong teaches is from the same line (note that Qian is from Shanghai).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby chud on Wed May 13, 2009 10:05 pm

pudaoking wrote:...William Ting's website. Here is a link:
http://silvertigertaichi.com

The site says they teach Bagua as well. I would check it out at least, might be pretty cool.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Thu May 14, 2009 7:08 am

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear what Bagua they teach. Coming from Shanghai it's probably either Sun LuTang or Wang ZhuangFei's.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby fuga on Thu May 14, 2009 7:40 am

If I was near me, I would check it out. I learned the rudiments of Qian Zhao Hong's short form version of this and I really like it. However, I also think that QZH has modified the form with a XYLH influence. Like Shawn, I am very curious.
Last edited by fuga on Thu May 14, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby pudaoking on Thu May 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. Haoran I don't think I would be learning their Bagua but the student of William Ting that I would be learning from is also an asst. instructor in Cheng Bagua under Frank Allen's school in NYC and I would be taking his Bagua classes from that liniage.
Last edited by pudaoking on Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pudaoking
Santi

Postby shawnsegler on Thu May 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Thats from Liu Jing Ru right?
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Either that or Bruce's stuff.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri May 15, 2009 3:49 am

Jiang Rongqiao's style of bagua is quite popular in Shanghai; perhaps his is of that branch as well.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Fri May 15, 2009 8:22 am

Thanks edededed, I wasn't aware of this style in Shanghai
Haoran
Wuji

Postby meeks on Sun May 17, 2009 8:34 pm

The current Grandmaster of the style is Lu Ji-Tang who is claimed to be one of the most recognized Taijiquan masters in China, but I can't find any information about this grandmaster or this style anywhere on the internet except on William Ting's website.

the first thing that comes to mind is "anyone the steps off the boat and can afford a yellow pages ad suddenly becomes a master". this doesn't mean he was in the last row at the back of the class in the public park where everyone practised taiji, but I've met more than my share of 'masters' that might as well have been. there's too much 'grandeur' in CMA - everyone's a master, and some I've seen in Vancouver move from 'coach' to 'master' to 'grandmaster' in the period of 10 years, depending on which book you are reading of theirs. One even rewrote his own history based on someone else's real history.

There's one guy here in Vancouver (maybe he's in Richmond, BC now) surnamed 'Wu'. Says he was a master back in Guangzhou and that he ran some school at location 'XYZ' in Guangzhou...well I lived in Guangzhou and that location was basically a sports complex and there wasn't even a martial arts club there. the wonderful thing about moving across the world is it's next to impossible to call your bluff.

again - not saying he's completely full of it...just telling you to be a little more aware of salesmen.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Haoran on Mon May 18, 2009 5:43 am

meeks wrote:the first thing that comes to mind is "anyone the steps off the boat and can afford a yellow pages ad suddenly becomes a master". this doesn't mean he was in the last row at the back of the class in the public park where everyone practised taiji, but I've met more than my share of 'masters' that might as well have been. there's too much 'grandeur' in CMA - everyone's a master, and some I've seen in Vancouver move from 'coach' to 'master' to 'grandmaster' in the period of 10 years, depending on which book you are reading of theirs. One even rewrote his own history based on someone else's real history.

There's one guy here in Vancouver (maybe he's in Richmond, BC now) surnamed 'Wu'. Says he was a master back in Guangzhou and that he ran some school at location 'XYZ' in Guangzhou...well I lived in Guangzhou and that location was basically a sports complex and there wasn't even a martial arts club there. the wonderful thing about moving across the world is it's next to impossible to call your bluff.

again - not saying he's completely full of it...just telling you to be a little more aware of salesmen.

I'd have to completely agree with this.
Last edited by Haoran on Mon May 18, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Speaking of false advertisement- the video guy (Jiang jianye) with a million videos in Tai chi magazine was claiming he studied at Shanghai Physical Education instute in his adverstisement and on videos, it is a very prestigious place for martial arts in china. I introduced my teacher Mr. Zhou who has a masters degree from that Shanghai school to Jiang at a tournament. Jiang Jianye changed his claim and said he didnt study there and was from Shandong.
neijia_boxer

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan