How many minimum drills do we need?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How many minimum drills do we need?

Postby johnwang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:12 pm

I agree that hip throw, leg block, leg lift, bowing throw ..,can all use the same set up (drill) and inner hook, outer hook, knife hook, and front cut can also used the same set up. So "principle" can group many techniques together, and "entering strategy" can group many "principle" together. Excellent idea! This is why I was always interesting in "entering strategy". If I can come up a finite number of "entering strategies", I can cover all 60 throwing "principles" and that will cover all 400 throwing "techniques". Different kicks, punches, locks can be pluged in at different point of the drill.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:42 pm

JW. Just curious since I've been practicing teaching different little things to my son lately...in breaking things down like this especially when geared towards a beginner would you advocate teaching entering strategy as a primary learning technique, rather than after drilling all the body method and basic striking mechanics.

Mostly I've just been wrestling around with my son and trying to teach him to feel where my balance is and to go with movement rather than fight it. I'd really like for him to have an early better grasp of "the throwing art" than I did/do, since I'm still just a beginner in it myself.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:59 pm

IMO, I prefer to treat the "entering strategy" as the most important part of my training. This way I always have one move after another move in my mind and not just any particular punch or kick in my mind. If I can move in from a distance and achieve my arm touching my opponent's arm without being kicked or punched, I'll be very satisfied at that moment. After that everything should be much easier because the throwing is just to let the gravity to do the job and striking on the ground should not be too hard because your opponent is right below your knee.

Both individual components and over all integration are equal important. But how to create a chance to make your move work are not emphasized enough in most of the CMA training. For example, the SC "hip throw" solo form starts from "one hand hold on opponent's arm and another hand hold on opponent's belt in behind". How to create a chance so your both hands can achieve those positions are missing in the original solo form design. Those missing elements have been amended by CC in the past 30 years. Also how to finish your opponent after you have thrown him down has been added in.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 11 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:11 pm

"entering strategy" can group many "principle" together.
'

So, I suppose what I was really wanting from you was what you thought some good baseline "entering strategy principles" would be for me to teach my kid. Something simple that he can wrap his mind around, but that learning now will allow him to explore and utilize over time?

Since you value it so highly, I thought you'd be more likely than many to have some good ideas on the subject.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:18 pm

if you have right side forward and your opponent has left side forward (mirror stance), you can throw a right hook. When your right arm contacts his left leading arm, you can slide your right arm under his left shoulder and wrap around it. You can then press his left shoulder down, spring his left leg back, and feed his face with your knee. The hook punch used here has nothing to do with striking to the head, but to make any kind of arm contact in order to build a bridge. You do have to make your opponent to believe that if he doesn't block it, you will knock his brain out.

This is my up coming book "The practice of Chan Chiao (combat SC)" that organized under different "entering strategies".
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 13 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:13 am

This is my up coming book

Keep us informed. I'd love to own a copy.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan