Form bitching

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Form bitching

Postby GrahamB on Thu May 21, 2009 1:26 pm

With all the bitching about forms recently on the forum I'm wondering...does Capoeira have solo forms? If not, why don't Capoeira people bitch constantly about the errors of form training?

Does Aikido have forms? Possibly... I'm not sure, but they're not big on them are they... why aren't Aikido people bitching about the foolishness of fixed form training?

What about Kali or other stick fighting systems? Do they have forms? If not... ah, you get the picture.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Form bitching

Postby Juan on Thu May 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Nope no forms in Capoeira. I don't understand your question. Why would a Capoeirista bitch about the errors of form training when they don't do forms? When I was practicing Capoeira I could not speak on form training as I did not know the benefits or draw backs. It was just a different form of training to me.
Juan
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu May 21, 2009 1:40 pm

capoeira has individual techniques that can be comboed and trained individually. I don't think there are formal sets.
judo has no fixed form training for individual techniques. This is why their throws usually aren't as nice as SC throws :).
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Bao on Thu May 21, 2009 1:45 pm

Another question should be: what role does form practice play in a style? Is form practice the same regardless style?

In southern styles, form seems to be the real money maker for the teachers. Choy Lai Fut especially seems to be excellent for someone who wants to become a professional teacher. As soon as you remember one form for your graduation, you forget another one. Ingenious to have 200 forms for one single style I say.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Thu May 21, 2009 1:53 pm

nianfong wrote:capoeira has individual techniques that can be comboed and trained individually. I don't think there are formal sets.
judo has no fixed form training for individual techniques. This is why their throws usually aren't as nice as SC throws :).

Older Judo does have kata, albeit short ones, from what I recall. That doesn't necessarily mean that most judo guys are learning all their throws by spending 90% of their time on kata training however.
Last edited by I am... on Thu May 21, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Thu May 21, 2009 1:59 pm

they are usually 2-men kata, for a few throws in a row. not one-man forms for refining the power/technique.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby GrahamB on Thu May 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Juan wrote:Nope no forms in Capoeira. I don't understand your question. Why would a Capoeirista bitch about the errors of form training when they don't do forms? When I was practicing Capoeira I could not speak on form training as I did not know the benefits or draw backs. It was just a different form of training to me.

Yes - that's my point.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Thu May 21, 2009 2:17 pm

Modern Arnis has the Anyos (largely due to the Shotokan influence) and Silat has Jurus and
Langkas. Different arts structure these things differently. Not all arts have forms, but they all have drills, which is where's it's all at as far as I'm concerned. I was taught that the key to any art can be found in the drills.

Forms are just a way to catalog the myriad of drills and principles of movement in an easy to remember format. To me they are like pants... when you unzip them, the good stuff is revealed.

That's why I love Hsing-i. You have five root motions that you can apply to just about anything. That's about all I can handle in terms of rote memorization. I've never been much of a paint-by-the-numbers guy anyway.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Joe L. on Thu May 21, 2009 2:26 pm

bigphatwong wrote:
Forms are just a way to catalog the myriad of drills and principles of movement in an easy to remember format. To me they are like pants... when you unzip them, the good stuff is revealed..

Problem being, unlike forms, everyone can naturally unlock the usefulness of what is inside the pants by themselves once unzipped.

With forms, unless you are shown what each move is about (either how to apply technique or what principles they represent), they don't do you much good IMO. But once you are shown what each bit is about or representing, you can break it all down (or hopefully be forced to learn each piece before moving on) and train it at length, so collecting too many forms won't be a problem.
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu May 21, 2009 3:25 pm

i think Joe's onto something , as well as Bao. The issue is Teachers that can tell you the true applications of authentic forms, those would be the Masters one would want to study under , anyone can teach a form , you could call them dance instructors , but the hows and whys well ... think about it ... this is 2009 when were these forms created
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby I am... on Thu May 21, 2009 4:20 pm

From my viewpoint, the "true application" is the one you can do well. It likely has very little to do with what your teachers "true application" of a movement is, unless you are alike in build, size, temperment, and experience. On the other hand, a good teacher should be aware of several viable applications of a movement, or reasons for doing said movement.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 pm

The tai chi forms I learned contain tactical ideas rather than specific applications. If anyone asked to see an application from the people I studied with, they'd be adivised to go learn tai chi from someone who would sell them applications. 8-)
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Thu May 21, 2009 4:38 pm

forms as i understand them are just linked together series of solo actions so even if you do train in a form based art like tai chi(which i dont) you still have to know the individual pieces intimately before you string them together to constitute a form....learning an individual action is learning its energy and particular physical demand, then you can link it to other moves you have taken through the same process
somatai

Postby everything on Thu May 21, 2009 4:48 pm

lately I am mainly doing bjj which doesn't have forms but does have the yoga, ginastica naturale, prasara, weird crab walk, monkey walk, and what have you.

those aren't forms but more to drill varieties of movements. seems analogous to free form circle walking to me, but not analogous to a long tai chee form.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian on Thu May 21, 2009 5:19 pm

IMO there's nothing at all wrong with forms.
Ian

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan