ILQ in different formats?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

ILQ in different formats?

Postby Ian on Sat May 23, 2009 3:54 am

Hey ILQ guys.

From what I understand, a big part of ILQ is bridging and capturing your opponent's center on contact.

The drills you do seem to be mostly geared towards getting good at this in terms of bridging at the arms, facing your opponent square-on (correct me if I'm wrong).

What happens if someone grabs you from the side or back, e.g. in a standing rnc, headlock, or bear hug. Do you have any drills for this?

Do you have any work similar to what Mikhail is showing here?

Btw this is NOT a systema vs ILQ thread. I ask because I'm interested in ILQ as well.

Thanks.
Ian

Re: ILQ in different formats?

Postby gosao on Sat May 23, 2009 10:22 am

I'm not a ilc guy but I remember some grabs from side and back examples from this schools clips.

gosao
Huajing

Postby dragontigerpalm on Sat May 23, 2009 10:23 am

Yi Chuan is not I Liq Chuan.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby gosao on Sat May 23, 2009 11:13 am

^^really? I thought they were just different branches of I - quan style ::shrug:: my bad
gosao
Huajing

Postby Kelley Graham on Sat May 23, 2009 11:13 am

there's a vid on the i-liqchuan site that show an application of 'circumference' force against a bear hug. it works.
http://i-liqchuan.com/Main/videos/I-LIQ ... DEMO03.wmv

btw, it's ILC, not ILQ. :)
best regards,
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Sat May 23, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby ashe on Sat May 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Ian wrote:What happens if someone grabs you from the side or back, e.g. in a standing rnc, headlock, or bear hug. Do you have any drills for this?

it's tough to say since i don't have any experience with systema, but based on what i see in the video it seems they're working a lot more on "tai sabaki", which we train that as well (in a sense, i.e. we sometimes prefer to move our mass around the point rather than moving the point or use footwork to change position), but i would say that it has a different feel. i don't know really, again it's hard to compare.

what i can say is that your understanding of what's trained within spinning hands is not quite accurate and i think that if you understand the core principle contained within spinning hands that it might clear up some things.

spinning hands is not about position or bridging, those are a different part of the curriculum. the fundamental concept of spinning hands is to recognize the changing point of contact, i.e. what energy is present there(yin or yang, full or empty). when you can recognize that, then you know what action is correct automatically, and applies to any position or point of contact. the idea is that you would become "full" in 360º and three dimensions simultaneously.

another key concept is recognizing force. when you clearly recognize what force is present then you can, as we say, "catch the tip of the spear". it's the idea of a tsunami starting out as a small ripple in the water. when you can catch and disrupt the ripple then you can prevent it from becoming a wave. in other words, (if you're doing it right) then you would catch the application of a RNC or bear hug at the very, very beggining, before the opponent has gotten a lock on your mass and neutralize it there, rather than working on escapes from a choke or hold that's already mostly locked.
Last edited by ashe on Sat May 23, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Frazetta on Sun May 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Nice answer, Ashe. Thanks.
Frazetta
Anjing

Postby dragontigerpalm on Sun May 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Frazetta wrote:Nice answer, Ashe. Thanks.

+1
just something I would add from my experience to date is that while there are exercises and drills and applications from the forms both solo and with partners that incorporate the basic strategies and energies, there is the caveat that nothing should become a technique or a specific response.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Ian on Sun May 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks for the responses.

ashe wrote:it's tough to say since i don't have any experience with systema, but based on what i see in the video it seems they're working a lot more on "tai sabaki", which we train that as well (in a sense, i.e. we sometimes prefer to move our mass around the point rather than moving the point or use footwork to change position), but i would say that it has a different feel. i don't know really, again it's hard to compare.

I still have no idea what tai sabaki is.

If you mean evasive footwork, then no - I was talking about how Mikhail is standing stationary and affecting the structure of people as they grab him from different angles.

what i can say is that your understanding of what's trained within spinning hands is not quite accurate and i think that if you understand the core principle contained within spinning hands that it might clear up some things.

spinning hands is not about position or bridging, those are a different part of the curriculum. the fundamental concept of spinning hands is to recognize the changing point of contact, i.e. what energy is present there(yin or yang, full or empty). when you can recognize that, then you know what action is correct automatically, and applies to any position or point of contact. the idea is that you would become "full" in 360º and three dimensions simultaneously.

Thanks for the clarification. I've seen a few examples of what you're talking about i.e. applying peng jin (or whatever you guys call it) from the side.

another key concept is recognizing force. when you clearly recognize what force is present then you can, as we say, "catch the tip of the spear". it's the idea of a tsunami starting out as a small ripple in the water. when you can catch and disrupt the ripple then you can prevent it from becoming a wave. in other words, (if you're doing it right) then you would catch the application of a RNC or bear hug at the very, very beggining, before the opponent has gotten a lock on your mass and neutralize it there, rather than working on escapes from a choke or hold that's already mostly locked.

Pre-emptive movement is a 'must-practice', IMO, but so is recovering when conditions aren't ideal. Do you ever work on situations where the thing you're trying to prevent is happening or has already happened?

Anyway, I'll try not to say more about it as I haven't crossed hands with any ILC guys yet. Looking forward to training with them in Malaysia. I'm sure if I tried to put Sifu Heow in a headlock, something bad would happen :D
Ian

Postby ashe on Mon May 25, 2009 4:36 pm

Ian wrote: Do you ever work on situations where the thing you're trying to prevent is happening or has already happened?

the short answer is no. :D

we never train "scenarios" like that. i have done some work like that, just fooling around with other folks and what i've found is that due to the way we train in ILC, i can usually pick up on that type of stuff faster, and apply it sooner in real time compared to other folks.
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby JoseFreitas on Tue May 26, 2009 10:58 am

Stupid question: I Liq Chuan would be Yi Li Quan in pinyin, right? Just asking out of curiosity. What area of China were the ILQ people from?
JoseFreitas
Anjing

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue May 26, 2009 11:06 am

I Liq Chuan was created in Malaysia.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby ashe on Tue May 26, 2009 4:48 pm

JoseFreitas wrote:Stupid question: I Liq Chuan would be Yi Li Quan in pinyin, right? Just asking out of curiosity. What area of China were the ILQ people from?

the Chins are hakka.
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue May 26, 2009 6:54 pm

I really want to get a chance to study with your teacher someday, Ashe.

I get a lot out of his teaching clips.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Tue May 26, 2009 10:06 pm

shawnsegler wrote:I really want to get a chance to study with your teacher someday, Ashe.

I get a lot out of his teaching clips.

S

You should try to make one of the bay area workshops. He's there twice a year, every November and May I believe.
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan