Alternatives to BJJ

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Alternatives to BJJ

Postby Jeice on Tue May 26, 2009 10:32 am

bustr wrote:WTF! I thought this was Rumsoakedfist. Did I stumble in sherdog's or mma.tv by mistake?

No, fortunately for you this is Rumsoakedfist with a healthy dose of "what can work reliably on the ground." If you really want to survive the wrong side of a dominant position then learning positional escapes and reversals is the only reliable way to get out safely. Yes you can grab at pinkies and poke at eyes or try and cop a bit of a feel, but seriously, if its getting dirty on the ground there's nothing stopping him from doing the same to you.
I resisted learning BJJ as strongly as anyone, probably more (no really...). But swallow your pride and do some technical man-hugging, it won't ruin your ability to do San-ti, I promise.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby fuga on Tue May 26, 2009 10:50 am

Jeice wrote:But swallow your pride and do some technical man-hugging, it won't ruin your ability to do San-ti, I promise.

;D
fuga
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Tue May 26, 2009 12:11 pm

bustr wrote:WTF! I thought this was Rumsoakedfist. Did I stumble in sherdog's or mma.tv by mistake?

They're just having fun. It's 2009 and most people know that there really isn't other substitute for ground grappling other than ground grappling.

So let's talk about techniques.

Here's a basic one, of course they're lots of them but this vid shows a great drill for working on how to escape you can't go wrong with these principles.

CaliG

Postby bustr on Tue May 26, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks guys

I've trained in BBJ off an on since before the first UFC. However I still suck at it. I'm just too damned big (some of it is table muscle) to effectively fight from my back which is the main emphasis. I've also seen a few guys who, after a few weeks of training, could thrash everyone in the class including people like myself who hads been at it for a while. So I thought it would be a good idea to look for an ace in the hole.
bustr

Postby CaliG on Tue May 26, 2009 12:48 pm

bustr wrote:Thanks guys

I've trained in BBJ off an on since before the first UFC. However I still suck at it. I'm just too damned big (some of it is table muscle) to effectively fight from my back which is the main emphasis. I've also seen a few guys who, after a few weeks of training, could thrash everyone in the class including people like myself who hads been at it for a while. So I thought it would be a good idea to look for an ace in the hole.

I'm in the same boat you're in. I've been doing this stuff on and off for a number of years now but I've seen guys progress to my level in less than a year. (But then again these guys train everyday.) I hate them. ;D

This time though it's not likely I'm going to quit. What I do now is focus on principles and I follow Roy Harris's advice of focussing on the escapes and defense first. (I don't think I've been triangled or oma-plataed in ages.) Also I measure my progress more on how quickly I transition into techniques and use new ones rather than how often I tap someone out.

Basically once you stop caring about winning you start to see your progress.

My coach always says, "A black belt is just a white belt who kept coming back."

Good times,

G
Last edited by CaliG on Tue May 26, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Postby ashe on Tue May 26, 2009 4:47 pm

bustr wrote:Thanks guys

very honest. most impressive.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby BillyK on Wed May 27, 2009 5:39 am

if he mounts you, lift your hips. if he's still on you, grab the back of his pants and give him a wedgie, then lift your hips again. should be enough to get out.

and no, i have no idea why it isn't used in MMA. it worked for me every time without fail.
BillyK
Anjing

Postby bailewen on Wed May 27, 2009 6:23 am

Because if the guy on top has a decent base then lifting your hips will end up just throwing him off of our waist and on to you chest. From there your arms are pinned up and he can just rain down blows from above without fear of repercussion. If his base is weak then you may get him to post which opens up options but for someone with decent ground skills you are much more likely to just make things worse.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed May 27, 2009 6:45 am

not really an alternative to ground grappling but fedor's book gives examples of what to do when strikes are also in the picture. they are grappling based but he shows how he will borrow force from a strike or use that movement to find a different opening. the moves are the same basic moves in bjj, judo, sambo but the context is different. he also shows how his grappling sets up his ground n pound.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian on Wed May 27, 2009 6:49 am

A good mount means knees tight, high up on your torso, possibly knees pinning your arms down, and the guy pushing down with his body weight on your chest when you try to move. So just bucking your hips won't be enough.

One of my favorite escapes if the guy is sitting pretty high and erect is to hook my legs around his head and straighten. Back of the head slams into the ground.
Ian

Postby CaliG on Wed May 27, 2009 9:20 am

BillyK wrote:if he mounts you, lift your hips. if he's still on you, grab the back of his pants and give him a wedgie, then lift your hips again. should be enough to get out.

and no, i have no idea why it isn't used in MMA. it worked for me every time without fail.

You can't grab clothing in the UFC.
CaliG

Postby fuga on Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Not to mention wedgies as so illegal it's not even funny.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed May 27, 2009 1:22 pm

The leg things sometimes works but people only fall for it once or twice.

One thing that is similar to standing grappling is to start to move them one way, then when they resist you move them in the opposite. That can be done in any direction.

In general for escaping on the ground you want to create distance, and move to a better position, from there you can attempt to stand while hopefully defending yourself at the same time.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Wed May 27, 2009 1:37 pm

fuga wrote:Not to mention wedgies as so illegal it's not even funny.

That's right!

Like the heel hook a good wedgie can end someone's career and by the time you tap it could already be too late. :o
Last edited by CaliG on Wed May 27, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby Areios on Wed May 27, 2009 1:54 pm

i would like to add that good advice i got a few weeks ago. When you lost your position and got in to a bad one, don't relax before you would try to get out of it. If example someone passed your guard but not into a good side control (or whatever he goes for) than thats the part when you have to fight the hardest. Try to be the agressor there and dominate his game even if you are the one how's getting the bad part of the roll.
Areios
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan