Are MA ineffective means of Self-Defense?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Are MA ineffective means of Self-Defense?

Postby AllanF on Sun May 31, 2009 5:13 pm

RobP2 wrote: being the lone hero, the quiet good guy who eventually kicks bad guy ass, the righteous warrior.

That's me down to a tee! Oh wait you said fantasy, dam it now my world doesn't make any sense! :-[

Seriously i remember seeing a youtube clip posted here or at .net about an Australian chap, ex-services, and former trainer of Mandella's body guards, who was doing an interview for Good morning Australia (i think) which had some top-noch advice (and also simple common sense) in this regard. Basically he spoke about a) avoidance b) survival. Avoidance included not going to poorly light places alone at night with handfuls of cash etc. And survival included simply just giving up the money if that is what they want. Dammed if i can remember his name...will search on and see if i can find the clip.

EDIT: found the clip the gents name is Rob Redenbach, very no nonsense approach i thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrZieC3ysyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cgP70tmAro
Last edited by AllanF on Sun May 31, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AllanF

Postby Leimeng on Sun May 31, 2009 11:20 pm

~ Martial arts are simply a medium through which a practicioner expresses their art.
~ One could put a Stradivarious in the hands of a 1 month student and it is going to sound like crap.
~ Similarly one could put the best combat/martial art in the world into the hands of a 1 month student and there is not going to be a lot of competency shown.
~ In both cases it is the person with the tool who determines what to do with it.
~ MA are a great tool IF they are trained correctly. This involves practice, conditoning and often, radical change in attitude.
~ Don't look for mystical short cuts, train hard, train properly, dont be afraid to get hurt or maim others. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
~ Why make life more difficult than it is supposed to be.
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is NEVER putting it in a fruit salad.

(***Insert Personal One Liner Here***)
Leimeng
Huajing

Postby RobP2 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:47 am

Leimeng wrote:~ Martial arts are simply a medium through which a practicioner expresses their art.
~ One could put a Stradivarious in the hands of a 1 month student and it is going to sound like crap.
~ Similarly one could put the best combat/martial art in the world into the hands of a 1 month student and there is not going to be a lot of competency shown.
~ In both cases it is the person with the tool who determines what to do with it.

Yes but even Yehudi Menuhin couldn't make a violin sound like a piano
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:03 am

Leimeng wrote:~ Martial arts are simply a medium through which a practicioner expresses their art.

I disagree that 'martial arts' should have anything at all to do with art.
Ian

Postby wiesiek on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:04 am

RobP2 wrote:

Yes but even Yehudi Menuhin couldn't make a violin sound like a piano

if its truth
i would say that Y.M. don`t know how to play-snipe-

;)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan