Fighters online?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Fighters online?

Postby Martin2 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:31 am

Hi ALl,

I am getting curious - may be I missed things before.

Are here people online, who are currently are professional fighters?

I mean not Martial arts teachers, or competetiors or door keepers, but real fighters, who are actually often in combat situation and use CMA?

Martin2
Martin2
Huajing

Re: Fighters online?

Postby Chris McKinley on Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:37 am

LOL. Martin2,

RE: "I mean not Martial arts teachers, or competetiors or door keepers, but real fighters, who are actually often in combat situation and use CMA?". First, you'll need to make up your mind. Do you mean professional fighters, or do you mean people that are actually often in combat situations. Those aren't the same thing at all. Professional fighters, i.e., those who get paid to fight, are almost always tournament fighters, and as such, almost never find themselves in real combat situations. That would be detrimental to their fighting career.

Also, doormen, by contrast, find themselves in real combat situations far more frequently than professional fighters do. A professional fighter loses a fight and he goes home with a notch in the loss column of his fight record and some bruises. A doorman loses a fight and he can go home dead.
Chris McKinley

Postby Martin2 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Chris,

sorry, you misunderstood me.

I mean people who use CMA to seriously hurt or kill people reguarly.

With hurt I do not mean knock out, but do real damage.

Just like in old Chinese times - for example being a guard at a caravan passing wild country or being a soldier or bodyguard and having used CMA for that purpuse.

Thanks for this correction

Martin2
Martin2
Huajing

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:56 am

Martin2 wrote:Are here people online....who are actually often in combat situation and use CMA?

Not for quite a long time now, thank God! :)

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:05 am

Martin2 wrote:Hi Chris,

sorry, you misunderstood me.

I mean people who use CMA to seriously hurt or kill people reguarly.

With hurt I do not mean knock out, but do real damage.

Just like in old Chinese times - for example being a guard at a caravan passing wild country or being a soldier or bodyguard and having used CMA for that purpuse.

Thanks for this correction

Martin2

the 18th century is gone martin 2

If you want to kill someone nowadays, it is unlikely that you will train for years in a given martial art to do so.

people train ma nowadays as competitors in carded or un-carded venues, for fun and health, as LEO's, as security professionals and so on.

the wild west is gone and no one does that kind of thing anymore in a civilized society.

Most sifu worth their salt won't train criminal types. Who are the only other category who would use martial arts for the kinds of things you are talking about.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Martin2 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:29 am

Hello Darth,

could be. But if things are changed, there must be a lot of thinking behind it, what to leave out and what to add. I am couriuos about this developmend and if it is conciuous.

I think, as far as I can remember, Doc was involved in some things. So here a question to Doc. How important do you think are mental preperations for those situations beside techniqual training of course. Is it important at all or are these just side effects.

I have no experience in this - so I am curious.

Martin2
Last edited by Martin2 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Martin2
Huajing

Postby Chris McKinley on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Martin2,

Some of the clientele I work with are among the most likely non-criminals in the world to fall into the category you describe as "people who use CMA to seriously hurt or kill people reguarly.", and that simply does not happen. IOW, there are no non-criminals who regularly hurt or kill people with CMA. First of all, almost no one regularly hurts or kills people that is not himself a criminal. Even the most high-speed operators among law enforcement and the military do not spend most of their time killing people, and damn sure not with their bare hands.

Doc and I, as well as a few others, have had relevant experience to that about which you are inquiring, and all of us will tell you that it just doesn't work that way.
Chris McKinley

Postby Martin2 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:10 pm

Hello Chris,

thx - you see I am not experienced here. Then may be let's turn it around. Are here people who defend themself here and then against criminals like above.

Martin2
Martin2
Huajing

Postby Areios on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:39 pm

maybe the Chinese millitary?? They train in some traditional CMA, and they are using it. (ok not just traditional CMA but they are chinese and they doing a sort of MA)
Areios
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Martin2,

RE: "Then may be let's turn it around. Are here people who defend themself here and then against criminals like above.". I'm not precisely sure what you are asking due to language limitations, but if you are asking if there are people on this forum who have defended themselves against criminals using their CMA training, the answer is yes. I am one of them, as are several others. That information alone is not very insightful, though. What else might you be wanting to know or learn about?
Chris McKinley

Postby nianfong on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:04 pm

martin2, maybe you're wondering if anyone on the forum is in law enforcement, the military, or security (bouncers, bodyguards, etc)? those are the only legal venues for what you're describing.
Last edited by nianfong on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Martin2 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Hello Chris,

I would like to know, what these people for example think about follwoing questions.

Are mentally preparations needed to stand serious combat situations? Does it help or is it just Asian cultural background?
As times have changed, does CMA are change too?
Is this process of change a contiouss process or does the fighter decide just by intuition?

Martin2

Martin2
Martin2
Huajing

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:30 am

Martin2,

RE: "Are mentally preparations needed to stand serious combat situations?". Yes. We've been discussing this quite a bit recently. You might look at my threads The Fundamental Logical Flaw of Martial Arts, and Contextualization: the Make or Break of the Martial Arts for some in-depth discussion.

RE: "Does it help or is it just Asian cultural background?". Asians are not genetically different than any other human beings. All people can be traumatized by combat. All people are subject to the adrenal response.

RE: "As times have changed, does CMA are change too?". Generally speaking, no. They have not changed to keep pace with the realities of modern combat, either in terms of content nor in terms of training methods. That fact is also lamented on this forum with regularity.

RE: "Is this process of change a contiouss process or does the fighter decide just by intuition?". I'm not sure what you mean, since those are not mutually exclusive things. Natural selection is a continuous process, and therefore methods of combat must continually adapt to new circumstances or they will be selected against. A given fighter can use his intuition to determine what kind of adaptations his training needs in order to meet changing requirements. Both are possible at the same time, as well as other possibilities.
Chris McKinley

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan