Mike Martello: RIP 5 October 1966 - 2 June 2009

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Mike Martello: RIP 5 October 1966 - 2 June 2009

Postby ppscat on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 pm

Sad, sad news. I enjoyed his vids and hoping one day could learn his miao dao set.

RIP
ppscat
Anjing

Postby Earth_Monkey on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:26 pm

OMG that is horrible.

My condolences and prayers to all who were close to him.

Peace Eric
Earth_Monkey
Anjing

Postby CaliG on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Our thoughts go out to him.

I've always enjoyed his vids, you could see that he really loved CMA, really loved teaching and trained hard.

Got to respect that.
Last edited by CaliG on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby Azer on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:26 am

Sad news. Condolences to his family and loved ones. RIP.
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:56 am

Sorry to hear this very sad news, condolences to his family and those that knew him. I too enjoyed the clips he was kind enough to share. he came across as a top rate and very dedicated martial artist and teacher.
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Antony Wood on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:23 am

Indeed very very sad news. I got the feeling watching his vids that he was a great martial artist, also heard from those who knew him that he was a great guy. My heart felt condolences to his family and all who knew him.

Antony Wood
Antony Wood
Anjing

Postby Haoran on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 am

Before now I had never heard of Mike Martello but it's sad for anyone to go that early. Looks like he was doing what he loved up until he passed though. Condolences.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:25 am

Can't believe he passed away in such young age.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Early Life
Mike grew up in New York City, where street fighting was a regular occurrence growing up. "In New York City, kids had to be tough and know how to defend themselves; otherwise you'd just get clobbered."

Following years of training in boxing, gymnastics and street sports, he began to learn martial arts for practical reasons. "First, it was to learn how to fight, but it really saved me when I was a teenager. It taught me both discipline and respect." Twenty years later, Mike Martello appreciates not only the practical aspects of martial arts, but also the beauty of the art form and culture.

Mike began his early training with classical boxing from his father, then at the age of 11 was introduced to kung fu by Teacher Teddy Wong (New York City). Mike later became a disciple under the tutelage of Master Su Yu-Chang, specializing in Tanglang (Praying Mantis), Baji Chuan, Bagua Zhang, Pigua Zhang, Hsing-I Chuan, Tai Chi Chuan and Weapons. Mike also co-teaches with the Wu Tan Organization in Taipei Taiwan. In 2001 he was appointed by Mrs. Liu Yun-Chiao and the Taiwanese Wu Tan Organiztion as an official Wu Tan Director.

[edit] Training in Taiwan
Mike continued to travel and study Chinese Martial Arts in Taiwan with Master Wang Chieh, specializing in Yue Jia San Shou (Yue Family Style), Ba Bu Tanglang (Praying Mantis), Bai He Chuan (White Crane), Joint Locking (Chin-Na), Tai Chi, Push Hands (Tuei Shou) and Shuai Jiao (Chinese Wrestling).

Mike taught and performed martial arts in Europe, Canada, South America, Taiwan, China and across the U.S.A. Mike is a nationally and internationally ranked competitor, with over 100 competitions in Chinese martial arts (gold, silver, bronze medalists, 86-88, 90-92 and 94-2000 U.S. Nationals and International Competitions).

[edit] Beijing International Training Camps

Mike and Yu Shaoyi at the 1st International Martial Arts Camp, 2007 BeijingMike along with other Chinese teachers and students successfully organized two International Training Camps, the first of which took place from August 3 to 28, 2007. The camp attracted students from Belgium, Germany, Russia, Netherlands, USA, Canada etc. A second training camp was organized from July 1t to 28, 2009 with a excellent turn out of students.

[edit] Passing
On June 2nd, 2009, Mike Martello passed away in Belgium literally doing what he loved;teaching martial arts.

http://threeharmonies.blogspot.com/2009 ... tello.html
http://wutangkungfu.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... tello.html

more about mike martello. http://www.wutang.be http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mike_Martello"
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:48 am

holy shit! what a week.

2 people with whom i have contact lost their sons on monday and now, mike martello and david carradine. i had hoped one day to meet mr. martello and i loved kung fu... from age 8 to 11 (and reruns) i never missed an episode. lee majors and william shatner better not go this week. all my 70's pop tv icons will be gone. (yeah i know shatner was late 60's, but with syndication he was 70's to me.)

i feel like i've been beat down. sad days. grab handfuls of life while you've still got hands...

with sympathy,

the graham family
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Buddy on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 am

Wow. What a sad, sad day.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:39 am

Their is a world of difference between Mike and Carradine. Carradine never gave a shit about any of the martial arts, he just road the coat tails of whatever would make him money.
Mike was never concerned about money. He lost more money then gained in traveling and teaching. Mike was all about sharing, giving, and growing the CMA.

Jake
JAB

Postby Haoran on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:42 am

David Carradine, for whatever motivation, brought to the American public, Chinese culture and Martial Arts while you were most likely in diapers or before. Both of these gentlemen deserve condolences equally.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby Bob on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:50 am

Johnny Wang:

"Go softly, gentle warrior. My partner, my rock, my Hommie. You taught me how to laugh and see light in darkness. Mike had Wolff-ParkinsonWhite Syndrome, which caused tachycardia. He always laughed and said,"I have a wolf in my heart," but he was so strong, we were sure hewould live til 100. Even when he was training to be a fireman in NY,he passed the tests with flying colors, could have saved an elephantfrom a burning building, but his EKG was off the charts erratic, andthey told him his heart could give out at any time. Even so, he lived his life with no regrets. He was a genius martial artist and a goodman down to the marrow."

This saddens me greatly---in 2004 I initially was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome [it later to turned out the GP misread the misprinted EKG and it was a simple atrial fibrillation]. This condition can usually be cured with an ablation [80-85%] and there are also medications which can be used to treat it. The death rate is less than .6% from the condition. However, I suspect Mike's condition was probably more complicated than that. Cleveland Clinic/Akron General Hospital [most of the electrophysiologists are from the Cleveland Clinic] does a wonderful job with conditions like this--this whole thing just really saddens and depresses me--Mike came to our school, when he was still with Su Yu Zhang and taught the bagua da dao and he was a great teacher and gentleman {I didn't learn it because I took an open hand form so I could film---but my Kung Fu brothers learned from him and I wish I had taken the weapon].

Jeez, what a loss---beyond martial arts---this guy was a really good guy.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:29 pm

Haoran-
Wonderful... do it on another thread then. This thread is for Mike, who was actually training while I was still in diapers!
Jake
JAB

Postby Kelley Graham on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:53 pm

jeez, sorry that i thought to share my thoughts on other losses with my bro's and sis's on this forum. i had no effing idea that my statement would mean to some to denigrate mike martello. in fact, i thought i carefully avoided expressing values beyond my own sense of loss.

any idiot knows that mr. carradine was a 'hollywood rebel' martial artist, which means not a serious martial artist at all. he still figured prominently in my prepubescent mind. this is one reason why i post so seldom on this forum. do you think such idiotic and pointless defensiveness reflects well on mr. martello?

loss is loss and a lifetime of work is a lifetime of work. why denigrate mr. carradine's life and work? what's the point? (don't answer, it's rhetorical)

to quote mr. martello,
'i hope all can enjoy objectively!'

again, in deepest sympathy,
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan