Courage

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Courage

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:34 am

Sorry, I don't have a clear topic in mind. I just thought it would be interesting to talk about experiences, stories and thoughts about such things as courage, initiative, resourcefulness, mental drive etc.

For example, how imporant are any of these things to you and why?

Do you think they are transferrable from one discipline to another?

How do you train them, or can they be trained?

Any thoughts are welcome.
Ian

Re: Courage

Postby cerebus on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:43 am

One of my favorite thoughts on courage is this, courage is NOT lack of fear. Courage is being afraid to do something, but doing it anyway because you know it's the right thing to do...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:47 am

cerebus wrote:One of my favorite thoughts on courage is this, courage is NOT lack of fear. Courage is being afraid to do something, but doing it anyway because you know it's the right thing to do...

Lack of fear just means you're stupid or insane, IMO.

You should fear but fear the right things, and in the right proportion.
Ian

Postby johnwang on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:13 am

I believe courage is not something that you think that you have but something that was built up by your past experience. If you have high successful rate in what you are doing then you will have courage to do it. If your boss give you a mission and if you had done it before then you will have courage to accept that mission. If you have never done that in your life then you will be nervous to accept.

10 years ago when the internet business just started, my job was to design a "security center" website. I didn't learn it in school. I can't find and books or documentation that could show me how to do it (there was no Google back then). When I accept that mission, I did not have "courage" at all. That kind of helpless feeling still haunt me through my nightmare even today.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:26 am

Courage is grace under pressure.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:30 am

johnwang wrote:I believe courage is not something that you think that you have but something that was built up by your past experience. If you have high successful rate in what you are doing then you will have courage to do it. If your boss give you a mission and if you had done it before then you will have courage to accept that mission. If you have never done that in your life then you will be nervous to accept.

10 years ago when the internet business just started, my job was to design a "security center" website. I didn't learn it in school. I can't find and books or documentation that could show me how to do it (there was no Google back then). When I accept that mission, I did not have "courage" at all. That kind of helpless feeling still haunt me through my nightmare even today.

Definitely! Courage and confidence comes from actual ability and knowledge - if you are courageous despite complete lack of ability, well - you might be a fool (but a happy fool!). :D

Noone should be confident about ALL things.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Juan on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:40 am

cerebus wrote:One of my favorite thoughts on courage is this, courage is NOT lack of fear. Courage is being afraid to do something, but doing it anyway because you know it's the right thing to do...

Yes, this is one of my favorite sayings as well
Juan
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Ian wrote:Sorry, I don't have a clear topic in mind. I just thought it would be interesting to talk about experiences, stories and thoughts about such things as courage, initiative, resourcefulness, mental drive etc.

For example, how imporant are any of these things to you and why?

Do you think they are transferrable from one discipline to another?

How do you train them, or can they be trained?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Courage.... I think is individualistic. What is defined as an act or courage for one of us, might not be seen by another as such. yea it can be trained. I also think being courageous is the precursor to initiative and action
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:03 pm

On Ian's original question about courage, initiative, resourcefulness, mental drive, etc...all these things a driven by Will. Train the will, and you train those.

How do you train it? i dunno. I just do more and talk less, and it just works for me.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:06 pm

You have to go see the Wizard and ask him for a set of balls.

I know the deal.
Last edited by bigphatwong on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:41 pm

To face your own shortcomings and be willing to change take much more courage than facing danger or physical violence.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:17 am

EMT's have courage.
Firefighters have courage.

The EMT remains calm an ddoes what needs to be done in what are often chaotic situations.
The firefighter s the same and will , with solid grounding enter dangerous places in order to save another.

These two mindsets in particular, as everyday examples, exemplify courage to me more than anything else.

Bravery is not courage, fearlessness is not courage. Ability to act correctly under stress and to be will to act in that situation is courage.

IMO. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:42 am

Dorothy Thompson:

"Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful, even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow."

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Nice!

Lately, I was working to see who intimidated me and why. For some reason, I managed to get intimidated by my own shadow, so to speak. Lots of work to do still...
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby gretel on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Darthwing Teorist wrote:Lately, I was working to see who intimidated me and why. For some reason, I managed to get intimidated by my own shadow, so to speak. Lots of work to do still...

I think courage can be trained. To me, that means going to the edge of what intimidates and then pushing that edge as much as you can at that moment. I don't mean deliberately placing yourself in danger, but stepping up to the edge of something you are afraid to do or think that you can't do and then taking another step. If you do this enough times, the edge moves and you are more courageous and have more confidence.

gretel
gretel
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan