Good blog by military professional

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Good blog by military professional

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:26 am

Strange wrote:Doc, i think you misunderstand me. what i meant was is the external environment suppose to affect the skill that you have? if it does then something is definitely wrong; cos its only good in the dojo with a cooperative partner. unless its a challenge, i believe it is very difficult to control the external location of a fight.

if there are many enemies.... i recommend the sub-machine gun.

Strange:

Without a great deal of trained alertness and awareness, it can indeed be difficult for the average untrained individual to even perceive a potential threat, much less a clear and present danger, and thus virtually impossible for them "to control the external location of a fight". :(

To some extent, I think that external environment does affect the fighting skill of many combatants, if not most combatants, especially psychologically. A street fighter or a competitive combatant can expect bruises, contusions, scratches, perhaps even fractures, and some degree of embarrassment or humiliation if they lose, when engaging in real fighting, but in most instances don't reasonably anticipate loss of life or limb.

For the military combatant, the potential loss of life or limb is a distinct possibility every time, since firearms and other ordinance are always employed, and since even H2H combat generally involves the use of bladed weapons such as knives, machetes, bayonets, and so forth, not to mention the need to remain alert to the present of concealed enemies, land mines, booby traps, and other potentially lethal anti-personnel devices which are rarely easy to spot when under fire or in the darkness of nightime operations, both of which are common. :-\

These factors do in fact affect one's perspective of the fight at hand, and can dramatically reduce a fighter's ability to apply their training and skills due to paralyzing fear, hesitation, and general mental and emotional distraction. This is a well known fact, and is one of the reasons why proper and effective mental training is crucial for survival and victory in any combat situation anywhere.

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 am

doc, i, we, discuss for the students, and good ppl who put themselves in harms way, so ppl we care about can be safe. or why some instructions that we have aint achieving burn through for the external to not affect their skill

i think for this to be meaningful, lets hold to 'boundary conditions' - we are talking about trained persons in martial arts in h2h situation.
the poppers, claymores, booby traps, ieds... we understand those employ stealth.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Iskendar on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:27 am

Bodywork wrote:Actually he posts MOSTLY in the the rest of Aikiweb. The non aikido forum was created because of continual input from me, Upyou and "he who shall not be named" continually bringing up internal training and how it creates aiki and for years and very much annoying aikido teachers and a few others.

Ok, ok, I admit, non-aikido is the ONLY forum on Aikiweb that I actually read... ;D

I have to thank you lot by the way, your incessant bickering on non-aikido is what convinced me to go see Ark when he was in Paris (twice).
Last edited by Iskendar on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I.
Iskendar
Wuji

Postby Budo Warrior on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:11 am

Chris,

Thanks for inviting me over to your board! Matt, small world huh?

I am not involved in Chinese Martial arts much, although I do get exposed to it through a couple of my Aikido Instructors and have spent some time doing some internal type training.

I am a level II Army Combatives Instructor, been a military training instructor for about 20 some years now, a purple belt in BJJ, active and compete in Judo, and have a black belt in Aikido. I am working with the Army Combatives Program as much as I can in the Wash DC area and working with USA Jiu Jitsu.

I look forward to reading your post, and maybe contributing something that is worthwile on occasion!
Budo Warrior
Santi

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:33 am

Welcome Kevin,

Are civilians able to take the Army combatives program? Scott in Ft. Riley Kansas is always suggesting I try it for certification.

Matt
neijia_boxer

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:39 am

Hi Kevin, and welcome to the board.

Thankfully, we don't have a rule here that you must be a CIMA practitioner in order to voice an opinion. Your martial arts background is interesting in and of itself, and the fact that you also see things through the lens of a longtime military trainer makes me look forward to reading your perspective on some of the things we discuss here.
Chris McKinley

Postby Daniel on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:02 pm

So do I. Welcome to the Board, Kevin.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Budo Warrior on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:36 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:Welcome Kevin,

Are civilians able to take the Army combatives program? Scott in Ft. Riley Kansas is always suggesting I try it for certification.

Matt

There have been civilian instructors that have taken the program. Matt Larsen at Fort Benning has worked with well qualified instructors to get them certified. One thing the program wants to do is maintain "civilian expertise". There are many civilian instructors out there that are simply well qualified to contribute to the program.

That said, you will be hard pressed to get into an actual "Army Combatives" class on a local installation. one, we are having hard enough time getting our soldiers trained. Two, there is always a liability issue as well.

However, if you come hang out with us at USAJJ or Pentagon Combatives Association, you will recieve the exact same training! :)

Fort Riley has a very good program BTW and if they are willing to let you train with them, i'd take them up on it!
Budo Warrior
Santi

Postby Budo Warrior on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! FWIW, I have trained some with Ark and with Mike Sigman. I try to incorporate what I learned from them into my training as best I can.
Budo Warrior
Santi

Postby Chanchu on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:26 pm

And in ancient times there was this…

http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_svinth3_0100.htm

http://ejmas.com/jnc/2004jnc/jncart_overstreet_0603.htm

http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_svinth_0201.htm

http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_SAC_0601.htm

That was back when there was a real AF General named Lemay....
It's to bad there seems to be resistance from AF upper management in regards to implementing combat H2H TX or utilizing martial arts in physical conditioning
For verily, is it not true- that one of the ancient sages of the AF NCO corps was-
CHUCK #$%^&*#$! NORRIS....

;D

Welcome Mr Kevin!
Last edited by Chanchu on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:34 pm

Kevin,
Where do you do Judo from?
I remember seeing you at the Aunkai seminar a year or so back. Still keep up with those exercises? I find myself going back to tenshijin and shikko (spelling butchered) alot. Don't think we ever paired up there though.
I remember Rob showing you some of his stuff on the ground there, great seminar.
Definitely helped my Judo game out alot.-Brady
Brady
Wuji

Postby Budo Warrior on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Air Force is looking at adopting the Army Combatives Program. Matt Larsen has/is working with them. Not sure what the latest status of the program is though.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/ ... s_080128w/

FWIW, I spent 10 years with the Air Force as an NCO.

We had/have some resistance to combatives training. I will say though that I believe it has taken hold and you will find something going on on just about every Army Post today.

Also, I concur with the comments above concerning proper physical training. We still have a ways to go. Combatives, crossfit, and other type programs have done alot to edcuate the masses.

Also, FWIW, I was put on a permanent profile for Running a few weeks ago! (Against my will), although I still maxed the APFT run. I stopped running several years ago after burning into a DZ on a Airborne drop after a collapsed chute. I pretty much do martial arts/combatives type training and yoga and it has kept me in decent shape, more so than my contemporaries who still insist on the Arnold workouts and running!
Budo Warrior
Santi

Postby Budo Warrior on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Brady wrote:Kevin,
Where do you do Judo from?
I remember seeing you at the Aunkai seminar a year or so back. Still keep up with those exercises? I find myself going back to tenshijin and shikko (spelling butchered) alot. Don't think we ever paired up there though.
I remember Rob showing you some of his stuff on the ground there, great seminar.
Definitely helped my Judo game out alot.-Brady

Wow, this IS a small world! I come and go on the exercises as I have alot going on and feel like what ark showed me I was able to incorporate into my training. Actually due to a recent string of injuries from Judo, I am slowing down my training and going to hit a local yoga studio and start hitting arks stuff hard again. I spent the last year really working hard on my Judo and Jiu-jitsu game and losing about 35 lbs which has helped tremendously!

I feel like now I have a good base to start building on I think.

I work out with Arlington Judo Club. Would love to get with you sometime and see what your interpretation of how it helped your judo. I did spend some time with Toby Threadgill a few months back and got him to explain some stuff as it related to judo.

It was a fun seminar, I couldn't make it this year cause I was out in San Diego doing some military training there, but did get to spend 2 weeks out there with Saulo and Xande Riberio, two world class BJJers.
Budo Warrior
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan