Original Tao: Inward Training Harold D. Roth

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Original Tao: Inward Training Harold D. Roth

Postby Bob on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:15 am

http://www.amazon.com/Daoism-without-th ... 1DH0GJ9S48

In a reading list by James Miller he states:

5. Original Tao by Harold D. Roth
The list author says:

"Don't be put off by all the technical notes, this book contains an excellent discussion of Daoist mysticism by an expert scholar who also has practical experience."

$74.00 Used & New from: $16.88

4 Reviews
5 star: (4)
4 star: (0)
3 star: (0)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)

› See all 4 customer reviews...

(4 customer reviews)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have read the book and found it one of the best for my interests, however, I did not know that Roth was a practitioner. Does anyone know what he practices?
Bob
Great Old One

Re: Original Tao: Inward Training Harold D. Roth

Postby josh on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:14 am

Last edited by josh on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:30 am

thanks for the link....he is in my neck of the woods.....look forward to learning more about his work.
somatai

Postby Bob on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks for the direction, Josh---I found my answer:

TOM: How has this academic research into religion and mystical practices influenced your life personally, and your view of the world?

My research led me to see the universe not as it had been presented to me when I was young, but as having a fundamental connectedness between all phenomena in the entire world.ROTH: Part of my research into mystical practices included becoming involved in several different traditions myself. I started practicing Rinzai Zen. And then I also did some Transcendental Meditation, and more recently did some Taoist, Korean Zen practices and Vipassana meditation practices. But most of my religious practice since my undergraduate days has been Rinzai Zen practice, which involves doing several week-long intensive practices each year. Most of my practice has been in North America, although I’ve also done a year-long series of retreats in Japan. As far as changing my outlook on life, my research led me to see the universe not as it had been presented to me when I was young, but as having a fundamental connectedness between all phenomena in the entire world. I see the universe as infused with a basic unifying power or force. The Absolute is not outside this world but is simultaneously transcendent of any one particular phenomenon and immanent within everything. This has become part and parcel of the way I look at the world
Bob
Great Old One

Postby josh on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:47 am

happy to help! :) i like Roth's work a lot. Original Tao is a great read for anyone interested in Chinese meditative practices. He has a couple of good articles that can be found on JSTOR as well, if you have access.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:05 am

Bob, like all daoist texts, the Neiye is written in code for training techniques that you have to be taught how to read, and then taught again to read in different depths. You can PM me if you want more info.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that worked.
Last edited by Daniel on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Yes, a great work!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:45 pm

xxxxxxxx
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Miro on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi Daniel,

Bob, like all daoist texts, the Neiye is written in code for training techniques that you have to be taught how to read, and then taught again to read in different depths. You can PM me if you want more info.
D.

I would like to ask you more about your experience with Neiye, about code how to read it and how to read it in different depths. I of course have Roth's translation of Neiye (plus other translations into English) and I did read it in Chinese too (plus have some commentaries about it). Thank you very much.

Miro
We have entered a voyeuristic, or "phanic," era where esoteric ideas and methods are only unveiled and put within reach of everyone because they no longer have any chance of being understood. (Mircea Eliade)
Miro
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan